Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sir Rols

Pyeongchang's Youtube Blooper

Well, apologies to our esteemed GM Rob for picking this up off AnoTheR website, but it looks like PC has had the first stumble of the 2018 race:

Olympic Briefs - PyeongChang's YouTube Blooper;5/18/2009

The IOC is investigating a YouTube video for the PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympic bid. (YouTube)The IOC is investigating a promotional video for the PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympic bid that appears to clearly violate its rules of conduct for applicant cities wishing to stage a Games.

The video posted on YouTube is labeled www.pyeongchang2018.org and has the appearance of being official. But it has yet to be ascertained whether it is the work of the bid and has gained the approval of the Korean Olympic Committee.

The 2.34min film uses images of IOC President Jacques Rogge; Gian-Franco Kasper, Swiss IOC member and president of the International Ski Federation and Mario Vazquez Rana, IOC member from Mexico and president of the Association of National Olympic Committees. Quotes from all three, translated into Korean, flash up alongside their pictures.

This usage would breach Article 12 of the rules of conduct applicable to all cities wishing to organize the Olympics approved by the IOC Executive Board in Denver on March 25.

“In order to respect the neutrality of the IOC members, cities may not use the name or image of an IOC member, an IOC honorary member or an IOC honor member, except for the members from the country of the city concerned,” the code states.

Use of the IOC’s cherished Olympic rings under a PyeongChang 2018 logo in the opening shot of the film would also violate well-defined IOC rules if the video is found to be official. It bears little resemblance to the emblem used in the South Korean city’s unsuccessful 2014 campaign.

The IOC prohibits the use of its Olympic rings at the applicant stage of any bid race, as set out in the rules of conduct.

ATR

I've tried to look for it - but no luck (probably it's been taken down). Certainly no deal-breraker at this early stage, though. I actually wonder if it's really from the bid committee - after two previous bids, you'd think they'd know the rules to heart by now!

Here's a link to the YouTube video...

YouTube Video Link

Well, apologies to our esteemed GM Rob for picking this up off AnoTheR website, but it looks like PC has had the first stumble of the 2018 race:

I've tried to look for it - but no luck (probably it's been taken down). Certainly o deal-breraker at this early stagfe, though. I actually wonder if it's really from the bid committee - after two previous bids, you'd think they'd know the rules to heart by now!

I saw this a week or two back and just assumed it was not official. I find it hard to believe that this is an official release. While it follows the PyeongChang style from previous bids - the production quality is poor and it would be disappointing if it was "real". It uses lots of publicly available stock footage - and the logo - I don't believe it is real since it is not displayed on the official Website. The "effects" look like canned options available from home video editing software.

And as has already been mentioned, the bid committee would follow the rules, especially the one with the ring in the logo. I could be wrong, but if I were to bet I would say that this is the creation of a big fan of the bid.

I've tried to look for it - but no luck (probably it's been taken down). Certainly no deal-breraker at this early stage, though. I actually wonder if it's really from the bid committee - after two previous bids, you'd think they'd know the rules to heart by now!

I could be wrong, but if I were to bet I would say that this is the creation of a big fan of the bid.

A clueless fanboy? ....

Or a clever saboteur?

I can confirm - this was done by a High School student - according to a PyeongChang 2018 source.

For or against PyeongChang being awarded the Games Rob ? ROTFLMAO

Jim jones

I can confirm - this was done by a High School student - according to a PyeongChang 2018 source.

Looks to me like the official bid commitee should co-opt his services pronto if only to keep him from causing them anymore embarrassment! B)