Which City You Don't Want To See As The Host Of 2016 Sog ?

Change the IOC rulings regarding selecting who is the best place to HOST the Olympics

You sort of have a point, Miguel. But the IOC picks the "best" city based on WHO is bidding in that round...and against that, the background of where the last 2 or 3 Oympics were held.

What if say, in the next round, there were NO VIABLE candidates from South American? So they just have to go with who bid...and from there, you sort out the candidates. If the IOC decreed that it's this continent's turn or that continent's turn...then there wouldn't be GamesBids and "Around the Rings.' :blink::blink:

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, whilst it's admirable that FIFA set aside 2014 for South America, I don't think anyone in FIFA was happy with the situation they found themselves in with only one bid. The IOC system ensures, as far as it can, that there will always be choice and competition. Cities are perfectly capable of weighing up the odds and nobody forces them to bid, so in that sense noone is misled by the unofficial rotation that takes place.

Besides, if the IOC ever did implement rotation, I doubt it'd be the sort which would result in the hosts Cinderella wants. It'll be continental rather than cultural rotation. They're not going to divide the world into Latin Quarters, Chinatowns and English speaking countries!

Yep, whilst it's admirable that FIFA set aside 2014 for South America, I don't think anyone in FIFA was happy with the situation they found themselves in with only one bid. The IOC system ensures, as far as it can, that there will always be choice and competition. Cities are perfectly capable of weighing up the odds and nobody forces them to bid, so in that sense noone is misled by the unofficial rotation that takes place.

Besides, if the IOC ever did implement rotation, I doubt it'd be the sort which would result in the hosts Cinderella wants. It'll be continental rather than cultural rotation. They're not going to divide the world into Latin Quarters, Chinatowns and English speaking countries!

It's not exactly what I want, but what I think it should be :) But I agree with you... Continental rotation is the point for the IOC, no matter what Moutawakel says.

Anyway, you have a certain point remembering what happened in FIFA for 2014. I mean... could it be possible that just four european cities will make the short list some time? Maybe just American cities? It is one of the issues that I have defended quite a lot in this forums: it will come a day (not in the next decade) that Europe will be the only continent with several cities able to host. Please imagine a race between Paris, Rome, Berlin, Madrid and let's say Delhi, or Buenos Aires, and this escenario will come after a European SOGs. Will the IOC choose the new frontier city just to avoid the continental rotation? I don't think so.

As a summary, continental rotation is a big issue today, but I tend to think that this will progressively disappear.

You sort of have a point, Miguel. But the IOC picks the "best" city based on WHO is bidding in that round...and against that, the background of where the last 2 or 3 Oympics were held.

What if say, in the next round, there were NO VIABLE candidates from South American? So they just have to go with who bid...and from there, you sort out the candidates. If the IOC decreed that it's this continent's turn or that continent's turn...then there wouldn't be GamesBids and "Around the Rings.' :blink::blink:

I understand what you are saying but in this regard I would say there is a loop hole in the selection process. If both technical and emotional factor are very important in selecting the best city to host the olympics I would rather make the decision based on the following Overall rules:

Techinical Factor = 65%

Emotional Factor (not having it in this continent, politics, etc) = 35% (this is the IOC voting)

Then total this 2 factors = WINNER.

I just don't agree with the IOC procedure right now where in the WINNER will only basd on IOC memeber votes as 100% factor.

Maybe I am wrong but this is what I understand.

DO YOU THINK THE IOC PROCESS RIGHT NOW OF JUST VOTING as 100% FACTOR TO DETERMINE THE WINNER IS THE RIGHT WAY? OR THERE IS A LOOP HOLE IN THE IOC PROCESS?

MAYBE THIS should be in another topic to Talk about.

In a perfect world, you can promulgate ANYTHING.

That's just like my idea that the Winter Games cities only be picked by the countries ACTIVE in the Winter Sports...not include votes from the African, Arab, central American and southeast Asian countries who do not play in the Winter Games.

But the IOC is a self-appointing organization ANSWERABLE ONLY TO THEMSELVES...so unless they themselves decide to change their Charter, then there is nothing one can really do about it, is there?

I just don't agree with the IOC procedure right now where in the WINNER will only basd on IOC memeber votes as 100% factor.

That's not how it works though. The shortlisting stage is preciecly the safety net you're talking about isn't it? All the cities going through to the vote have been deemed technically good enough to host so it oughn't matter who wins from a purely technical point of view.

Complicating things further as you're suggesting will muddy the waters and confuse people as to how the city is chosen; and that will lead to accusations of rigging and a lack of transparancy.

I understand what you are saying but in this regard I would say there is a loop hole in the selection process. If both technical and emotional factor are very important in selecting the best city to host the olympics I would rather make the decision based on the following Overall rules:

Techinical Factor = 65%

Emotional Factor (not having it in this continent, politics, etc) = 35% (this is the IOC voting)

Then total this 2 factors = WINNER.

And then IOC should state too that only Norway, Switzerland and Sweden can host the games...

Not a great analogy, considering the Eurovision locations "win" the right to host. By that formula, Olympic hosts woulod be chosen by who tops the medal tally

at the previous games (and we'd be looking at four or five hosts ever - USA, then daylight, then sometimes perhaps China, Russia ... maybe UK or Germany in ages past)

You're taking me a little too seriously . Don't olympic cities ' WIN' the right to host too ?

Is it winning or sucessful begging ?

Put the summer olympics back in Athens permanently and have it funded by the entire world. The whole olympic thing has gotten way to big for its own good and gone far beyond sport.

Archived