Which City You Don't Want To See As The Host Of 2016 Sog ?

The USA is not like any other country, no other country has as many possible hosts and no other country provides as much to the coffers to the IOC as the USA does, does this mean they get them all the time, no, does it mean every 20 years or so, yea

Reasonable compromise, exactly.

I tend to think of Olympics as given to cities rather than countries anyway. And in that sense the US probably has as many potential host cities as Western Europe, so it's not unreasonable to expect the US to have the games ever 20 years or so, especially given the money they put in.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
his death would be the greatest catalyst possible for a Madrid games.

Except I think he would probably roll in his grave. JAS (and I use present tense since he is still alive) calls and considers himself a Barcelonian/Catalan first and foremost.

Being a 'Madrileno' is just incidental and convenient.

:lol::lol:

TOKYO. I can't think of a more BORING city to host the Games.

The Nagano Ceremonies were among the MOST awful and BORING of ALL TIME!!

you know another thing against Tokyo in regards to this bid. If they were to win they would become the only city ever awarded via bid convention election three times. Not even London has that under their belt . London has been elected twice from a IOC assembly and once via postal ballot which was basically a reaffermation of the 1944 bid election . Paris, Rome and Berlin have all tried to make it three times and all co far have failed.

Jim jones

Chicago...

They are rely on political clout.

and Held four times already.

But, Japan hosted only once.

It's a 52 years ago.

Plan, financial, security, infrastructure, environment,

Tokyo much better best.

Jacques Rogge say,

"The International Olympic Committee has the honor of announcing

the 30nd Olympic Games in 2016 are awarded to the city of Tokyo"

B)

political clout did nothing for NYC 2012. Only Economic Clout makes American Candidate cities attractive at the right times . Wasn't Atlanta one of the smallest places to host a summer Olympics since 1960 when Tv started to contribute to revenues ? Sydney 2000 probably would not have had the US TV rights Package if Athens or Manchester had of hosted in 1996. Toronto there would be a possibility of high Ratings in the US because of the live prime time broadcasts. Manchester and Athens could not do that at 2 am in the morning for Gymnastics or swimming .

The Difference it seems for a Los Angeles bidding and losing against Montreal and Moscow is the Federal government Guarantees . Post those two games commercial partnerships became very important for the survival . US Tv and the tag along sponsors became key stakeholders in the games . Beijing provided those Top companies with access to China via the 2008 games . That includes some asian companies like Sansung and Pansonic.

The IOC is not going vote Tokyo a third bid election in less then 100 years . Look for 2040 as the soonest for Tokyo on that count.

jim jones

Reasonable compromise, exactly.

I tend to think of Olympics as given to cities rather than countries anyway. And in that sense the US probably has as many potential host cities as Western Europe, so it's not unreasonable to expect the US to have the games ever 20 years or so, especially given the money they put in.

I tend to argee with you on the city thing but really the scope of many Summer Olympics has to be a National affair even in large countries like the US. Canada , Russia or China . The city is the centre and marquee name on the bid but as you see with London 2012 you have Glasgow, Cardiff, Manchester and Birmingham among other locations for Games events . Doha would certainly have more then a summer temperature problem for staging the games with such a small country lacking many cities to host Soccer for the Olympics. Baku certainly was in the same boat too. These can be great planned cities but if there is nothing in the country besides the main city then it becomes difficult.

London actually is one of the few places IMO who could probably host the entire Olympic Soccer tournament if it wanted to but that of course would be politically dangerous for getting Taxpayer funding out of the rest of the Nation .

A large City supported by a nation with smaller but equipped cities really is what is required. Also look the scope of pre olympic training camps in the UK and you will see a great deal of jockeying by cities for the Australian team, the Jamaican team and so on .

It is the city awarded but certainly not without a huge backstopping foundation of a country . The only possible place I can think of that could do this in a regional way is the United States simply because you have so many sports facilities between pro sports and the NCAA college system that a few states in the right places would be able to take care of the games . Atlanta 1996 could ahve been contained within Alabama , Georgia , Florida, South Carolina and Tennessee without a doubt . there are that many colleges and venues in the part of the united states and that trend runs through most major regions . The Mid Atlantic / New England Area , The Midwest , the Southwest and Southeast could all handle the games on their own . Hell I would not doubt Texas would be able to do the same.

Jim jones

I wish them all good luck but not as much Luck as Rio 2016 LOL.

It is time for a new frontier to be opened. every second games it should happen . Two Cities having hosted twice before hosting in the 2000's is enough at this stage in the century ,Tokyo for a third election win should not happen . Both America and Spain have hosted in the last decade. Lets see the wonderment of a new frontier lie we did with Beijing 2008.

Jim jones

Despite being a very capable city, I'm just really find the thought of Chicago (and the US hosting again!) really uninteresting. I also am not so keen on Madrid being successful this time either, as there are other European cities I think deserve a chance first before the Games return to Spain.

I would be very happy to see Rio host - a completely new experience for the Olympics. And Tokyo - a fascinating culture and one that most people will be far too young to remember as a host.

Hmmm. A loaded question really. Personally, I'd be least happy to se Tokyo win, and that's only because I'd think two repeat hosts in a row is boring. Otherwise, I'd classify myself as a fervent Japanophile.

As to fave - I've said it before, I hope Rio does it, and think they're slightly ahead of the game at this stage. Now they've made the shortlist, they can play the emotion card for all it's worth, but I don't think they're overdoing it.

I thought 1904 was moved because it was easier for the games to be held along with the World's Fair in St. Louis and it was a decision by the powers at be in the US.

Well, from my understandings, De Coubertin wanted New York, was willing to settle for Chicago, and domestic US politics with the World Fair coming into it saw St Louis taking it over against many better judgements.

For me its Madrid, mostly because two European host in a row is lame. The irony is that last time Madrid was my favourite bid...

Now there is Tokyo. I really want to see Japan host the Olympics during my lifetime (the first Olympics I remember is Sydney) but I would rather have a new city host, and the memory of Beijing's horrible (for me) time zone is still fresh in my mind.

Chicago could be interesting, but the US hosted in 2002 and in 1996, so I think they are due for a bit of a break...

As for Rio, it is probably the most exiting candidate. Oh, and they are in my time zone. Awesome!

So Rio>Chicago>Tokyo>Madrid, but I wouldn't be too disappointed whit any of them.

OK...how about an end to these "Which City do you Want/NOT want to host 2012..." threads??

We probably already have 10 of these threads in essence saying the same thing OVER and OVER.

Unless you can throw in a new angle, PLEASE people, let's stick with the numerous threads we already have.

OK...how about an end to these "Which City do you Want/NOT want to host 2012..." threads??

We probably already have 10 of these threads in essence saying the same thing OVER and OVER.

Unless you can throw in a new angle, PLEASE people, let's stick with the numerous threads we already have.

Actually from now until September when the IOC evaluation report comes out, there will be nothing new to be said . So the discussion will remain in those same issues over and over again and yes, I find this a bit boring...I wish October 2nd was tomorrow.

Actually from now until September when the IOC evaluation report comes out, there will be nothing new to be said . So the discussion will remain in those same issues over and over again and yes, I find this a bit boring...I wish October 2nd was tomorrow.

Oh, there'll be plenty to say alright. There's gonna be inevitable minor scanbdals and scares, announcements to pull apart, speeches to dissect.

Not to mention the inevitable flame wars which will spring up here.

Oh, the fun of it all!

Just came across this passage from an online diary of James Worrall, longtime Canadian Olympic official and IOC member:

The next IOC Session was in February 1972, just before the Sapporo Winter Games. Our meeting began in Tokyo and then moved on to Sapporo. In Tokyo, we stayed at the famous Imperial Hotel designed by architect Frank Lloyd Wright. The Japanese NOC and the Sapporo Organizing Committee had arranged a busy pro­gramme for us, including a rarely granted audience with Emperor Hirohito. We were taken to the Imperial Palace barely a half-mile from the hotel, and caught just a glimpse of the elegantly landscaped grounds before being ushered into the audience chamber. The Emperor and his retinue arrived at the far end and we filed past in pro­tocol order, that is, in order of seniority. Brundage, who loved this kind of formal international gathering, introduced us one by one. Brundage and the three vice-pres­idents, Killanin, de Beaumont, and van Karnebeek, were decorated by the Emperor with a prestigious Japanese Order. Herman van Karnebeek considered it all quite ironic and I heard him say that he had never expected to be greeted in this fashion by the Emperor of Japan. It must have been difficult for Herman and his wife, both of whom had suffered considerably as prisoners of the Japanese during the Japanese occupation of Java. Lance Cross from New Zealand was another with less-than-pleasant memo­ries of Japan. When asked if he had ever visited Tokyo before, Lance replied that he had, but had seen the city only from the air. He did not elaborate that he had been a member of the New Zealand Air Force involved in bombing raids on Tokyo during World WAR II.

Just an interesting perspective on history.

http://www.montrealolympics.com/worral.php

1. Madrid

2. Tokyo (tho im undecided btwn which i like the least, i dotn want Europe again, but the tokyo bid sounds so boring..)

3.Chicago

4.RIO!! but i wont mind Chicago cuz i live really close..

• 4 weeks later...
I don't want Rio , I can't imagine how cariocas can be more full of themselves as they are already, but I feel this will happen if they win at the end...but thank God (and Obama ) they have slim chances . :lol:

What about U ?

I don't want Sao Paulo for any year in the history. Boring, chaotic, violent and ugly city, and some people here doesn't like Rio for no reason (not only Rio, the rest of Brazil is **** for them too)

Now I live and work in Sao Paulo, and as many paulistanos colleagues at work, hate this city.

PS: My wife is paulistana too and prefers any city to Sao Paulo.

PS2: The biggest joke in a olympic bid was Sao Paulo 2012... You need to read about that...

Seriosly answering the topic:

1. Tokyo - boring

2. Madrid - I'd love to see the World Cup in Portugal-Spain, but not another SOG... Barcelone fullfilled my spanish olympic wills...

3. Chicago - USA again and again and again... But I'd rather USA than Europe in any issue...

Well, I'm from Rio, so... no comments. =]

I don't want Sao Paulo for any year in the history. Boring, chaotic, violent and ugly city, and some people here doesn't like Rio for no reason (not only Rio, the rest of Brazil is **** for them too)

Now I live and work in Sao Paulo, and as many paulistanos colleagues at work, hate this city.

I think this post has many white lies. Is São Paulo an ugly city? Uh... ok, i can live that. It´s the industrial and economic heartland of Brazil. Chaotic? Yes, but is chaotic in a way any other metropolis is. Try New York, Mexico City, Paris... you´ll find chaos. Now boring? São Paulo has more hotel rooms, restaurants, theatres, sports venues, entertainment, malls than any other Brazilian city. And that is a fact! Rio is blessed with it´s natural surrondings - this makes Rio a great card for any international event like the Olympics. :rolleyes:

I don´t see violence in São Paulo anywhere near the numbers reported from Rio. São Paulo always will have violence because is the biggest city of South America. But in relative terms Rio is one of the most dangerous brazilian cities - I think only after Recife (in the Pernambuco state).

Now a subject I think needs clarification. Paulistanos (people borned in São Paulo) don´t hate the city in the way our collegue "dannyelbrazil' said. They have a love/hate way of thinking because the city is chaotic but have all the things they want out of vacation. I would like our critic member to ask his collegues at work if they want to leave the city forever. I would bet more than half would say "no!". About the "some people here doesn´t like Rio or the "rest of Brazil" for no reason"... this is also incorrect. Most of São Paulo population are of migrants of northest, south (and even Rio, nice huh?).

The rivalry between Rio and São Paulo is much like the same rivalry between italian cities of Roma and Milan. Roma being the "beautiful", "the international card" meanwhile Milan is the economic power with money, "top models" and entertainment. And I think Italia is a good example to explain the "paulistanos don´t like the rest of Brazil". Actually in Brazil we have a gap between the south/southern regions where Rio and São Paulo are (more rich) and the "rest" at north. I know many north italians has issues with people from the south. It´s a problem of education and development of Brazil and not only a "dislike for no reason".

Chicago...

They are rely on political clout.

and Held four times already.

But, Japan hosted only once.

It's a 52 years ago.

Plan, financial, security, infrastructure, environment,

Tokyo much better best.

Jacques Rogge say,

"The International Olympic Committee has the honor of announcing

the 30nd Olympic Games in 2016 are awarded to the city of Tokyo"

B)

Tokyo 1964.

2009-1964=45

What about Sapporo 1972. Nagano 1998?

I hope to never see another USA city hosting.

Go Rio !!!!! Tokyo is second choice.

I think this post has many white lies.(...)

No, Sao Paulo has more violence than Rio in official per capita numbers. Google it and get surprised. Includes when read about kidnapping and car robbery numbers is Sao Paulo...

People from SP really love people from other states: Cariocas are "full of themselves", Rio Grande do Sul mans are "gay", any northeastern (no matter where they are from) is from Bahia, then call them "baianos" and "baiano" is a word for bad things in SP. "She is a baianinha girl" - ugly, "That idiots only can came from 'Baianazes' - a joke for the name of poor district of Guaianazes"... Any no-paulistano is a light version of a chicano in SP.

And tell me where did you read that SP has more malls or sports infra-structure than Rio... Are you crazy? You really doesn't know NOTHING about Rio de Janeiro.

You are like the regular paulistano. Know much about your city and nothing about the rest of world. You must be like many paulistanos that doesn't realized that Sao Paulo is not the only city in Brazil with subway system or that the top biggest Brazilian companies are hosted in SP... It's common to hear it from you guys...

Archived