Let's Look At History...

I fully agree with Rob.

Sadly, people tend to admire China with all its economic might and overlook important political issues.

China must be a very interesting country and I highly respect its culture (planning a trip in 2010) but we can't forget their present problems.

Beijing 2008 had very good points but I'm not sure if I'd consider it as an example in general.

I hope if Brazil gets this games - and I believe it will - people there can use this opportunity to boost the country not only economically but also socially.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I fully agree with Rob.

Sadly, people tend to admire China with all its economic might and overlook important political issues.

China must be a very interesting country and I highly respect its culture (planning a trip in 2010) but we can't forget their present problems.

Beijing 2008 had very good points but I'm not sure if I'd consider it as an example in general.

I hope if Brazil gets this games - and I believe it will - people there can use this opportunity to boost the country not only economically but also socially.

But what is worse . A city of Beijing and a country of China who can actually afford to host the games in anyway they want to stage them or London and Great Britain who are up to their eye balls collective in Debt to the tune of over 44 percent of annual GDP to debt ratio(which is to rise to over 77 percent in 2010) and London 2012 is skating to stage the games. Beijing 2008 cost about 2 months of Trade surplus China has with the United States Alone. Japan is in a worse situation economically then the UK and yet they bid for 2016. The US bidding as well seems like the old Bread and Circuses.

Aside from the Grandness of the Games for Beijing the organization on the ground was totally incredible I was told by a two time olympian of 2000 and 2004 who phrased Beijing as topping Sydney and Athens COMBINED for Athletes Comfort and the village Alone.

I don't see much downside to China as you allude to . The people are productive the country is growing the economy and many are now experiencing Western consumerism . If you think you actually have any more of a voice or steering wheel on what your western government does then you are very neive. Western Governments in many cases own their souls to places like China as they are the ones holding the bonds countries are writing to service themselves with.

Jim jones

But what is worse . A city of Beijing and a country of China who can actually afford to host the games in anyway they want to stage them or London and Great Britain who are up to their eye balls collective in Debt to the tune of over 44 percent of annual GDP to debt ratio(which is to rise to over 77 percent in 2010) and London 2012 is skating to stage the games.

Read my last post and you'll see why I think Beijing isn't a model any other city should aspire to. Not everything is about money.

The opinion of one athlete on the comfort of the Olympic village doesn't change any of that; and is hardly relevent to the point. In my eyes, it only serves to make the contrast between the process and the result even starker.

Is this, for example, okay if it meant giving athletes the most comfy village in Olympic history? If you can find a single person in the UK going without water directly because of London 2012, let alone tens of thousands, I'll concede you have a point. Good luck...

Read my last post and you'll see why I think Beijing isn't a model any other city should aspire to. Not everything is about money.

The opinion of one athlete on the comfort of the Olympic village doesn't change any of that; and is hardly relevent to the point. In my eyes, it only serves to make the contrast between the process and the result even starker.

Is this, for example, okay if it meant giving athletes the most comfy village in Olympic history? If you can find a single person in the UK going without water directly because of London 2012, let alone tens of thousands, I'll concede you have a point. Good luck...

Well considering the source of the Article all I can say is Great British Propaganda in the run up to Hosting the Games in London in 2012 LOL. The Comfort Levels in the Village was not what my friend the Gold Medalist of Sydney 2000 talked of the most. It was the huge difference in Transportation and Volunteers supporting the Athletes that was off the charts . This is certainly part of athletes comfort picture and it amazing that Sydney and Athens combined could not compare in his option. I think an actually Athlete who won a gold medals at the 2000 olympics and 2002 commonwealth games would be more accurate opinion then a couple of guys who will probably never see the inside of and athletes village during the operation phase of a games. I read the stories of what some athletes have to go thru to pursue their amateur athletics dreams when it is your normal between sports festival competition. Athletes indeed do go through a great deal. Paramount to a successful olympics IMHO is the Athletes. The Opening and closing ceremonies will always spring new surprises with the advances of Show technologies. Those Ceremonies to me have little to do with the core which is Athletes Performance.

As much as the envy of Beijing presenting something that will not be topped in London come 2012 is wrote in your passages Beijing is still going to be the gold standard that others will aspire to whether you indeed like it or not.

London well it will be just another Olympics in Europe among the majority that have been staged there .

Not everything Beijing 2008 did will ever be emulated and the same will go for London 2012 which will have some positives of course. It is only via the hine site of history that there are improvements.

Jim jones

London well it will be just another Olympics in Europe among the majority that have been staged there .

If you say so Jimmy, if you say so.... because you are, of course, always right. :huh:

But you choose to ignore the pertinant point in my post and label it as propaganda. Showing what a valuable member you are in this forum once again...NOT.

Archived