The Games Goes To .... (and Why?)

My vote goes to Madrid.

Because of:

1. Continous and compact legacy.

2. Cultural Rotation: Time for a Latin touch!

3. Low budget / Realistic bid (No castles in the air).

4. High percentage of venues builded.

5. High level technical bid.

Chicago:

1. Anglo-saxon culture

2. Low support (Not 100% financial support and low population support)

3. The temporarily Stadium Thing! Bad legacy.

Rio:

1. Huge budget. Risk of exploding budget and economic problems cause of it.

2. Low technical bid (so far)

3. Too soon after World Cup 2014

Tokyo:

1. Very low support in region / Peking 2008 - Asian culture

2. No real new legacy. Rebuilding over old Games

3. High external debt could comprimise the financial support of goverment

Fairplay!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And u have to start a new thread to say the same old stuff again?? :blink:

And like you think your vote will affect the outcome?? :blink:

I started this thread to compare the reasons for and against the bids.

Dont you think GAMESBIDS.COM is the most interesting site in internet about the bids?

Winners in each theme

Feel free to debate.

Theme 1 - Vision, Legacy and Communication: Rio

Theme 2 - Overall Concept of the Olympic Games: Madrid

Theme 3 - Political and Economic Climate and Structure: Madrid

Theme 4 - Legal Aspects: Madrid

Theme 5 - Customs and Immigration Formalities: Tokyo

Theme 6 - Environment and Meteorology: Madrid,Tokyo

Theme 7 - Finance: Madrid/Tokyo

Theme 8 - Marketing: Chicago

Theme 9 - Sports and Venues: Madrid

Theme 10 - Paralympic Games: Chicago

Theme 11 - Olympic Village: Madrid/Tokyo

Theme 12 - Medical Services: Madrid/Tokyo/Chicago

Theme 13 - Security: Tokyo

Theme 14 - Accommodation: Tokyo/Chicago

Theme 15 - Transport: Madrid

Theme 16 - Technology: Tokyo/Madrid/Chicago

Theme 17 - Media Operations: Chicago

Winners in each theme

Feel free to debate.

Theme 10 - Paralympic Games: Chicago

Theme 13 - Security: Tokyo

Theme 14 - Accommodation: Tokyo/Chicago

Wow, that's really nice, Mo Rush... :) I certainly agree with most of your votes. I will just simply add that maybe Madrid bid is the one doing more emphasis in Paralympic, but still not so well sold as Chicago project. And definitely rule out Madrid to be on top of list on Theme 16 :) No one will beat Tokyo in technology ;)

By the way, I REALLY HOPE TO SEE CAPE TOWN BIDDING FOR 2020. I'll be the strongest supporter to your wonderful city!!... if Rome or Madrid are not bidding ;)

OK, a silly thread which will make me look a lot more bias than I am, but I'll bite.

My vote goes to Chicago

1. Spectacular waterfront setting and city skyline

2. Spreading out between the continents and timezones

3. I think their concept will follow on very neatly from 2012 - very well thought through plan

4. Compact bid, how many cities have the sailing, rowing in the host city and not miles away? A real games in the city with the stadium in the centre.

5. Americans know how to pull these things off and it'll be a great hassle-free games in a country the world needs to have on its side. The anti-Americanism of the last eight years has been unhealthy, and I'm hopeful Chicago 2016 will be the crowning glory of an Obama administration which has changed the world's perception of America.

Reasons against other cities:

Rio:

1. Crime

2. World Cup 2014; I'm not sure the concept of a Brazil Olympics will seem so special only two years after their world cup

3. Huge organisational challenges which will have to be overcome at the same time as those presented to them for the world cup

Madrid:

1. London 2012; Europe will have to wait in my opinion

2. Excites me less than either of the American cities' concepts

3. Barcelona 92; I'm not sure a country the size of Spain should have two summer games in such a short space of time.

Tokyo:

1. After Beijing 08, another gigantic Asian games doesn't appeal

2. Like Madrid, the idea doesn't excite me as much as the American bids; don't ask me why, it just doesn't.

3. Possible low support figures, is the enthusiasm there?

I didn't say it was necessarily a vote winner (although it could be), but the setting is undoubtedly a strength for Chicago which is why I listed it. Besides, if a setting like Chicago's proposed Olympic Island (below) isn't considered a strength, I don't know what could be:

Olympic-Island_621.jpg

It's my opinion matey. Take it or leave it. I'd be interested to see your own lists.. :)

Let's show off our biases then...:D

My vote goes to Madrid.

Because of:

1. Well planned bid, with compact, well-linked venues

2. Experience of Madrid (and Spain generally) in hosting big international events

3. Low budget and high percentage of venues already in operation

4. Rising presence of Spanish sports people in the sporting world

5. It's my hometown

Chicago:

1. Olympic model built on private investment

2. US as only alternative to host big events in the American continent: countries south of Rio Grande also deserve their share

3. I would like the games to showcase a culture other than the American, which we are bombarded with every day.

Rio:

1. World Cup 2014: Two big events in too little time

2. Ability of Brazil to host such a large event: no experience

3. High budget

Tokyo:

1. Already hosted the games in 1964

2. Other Asian countries deserve the chance of having an Olympiad. So far it's been Japan (don't forget the winter Games in Nagano in 1998 and Sappor in '72) and to a lesser extent Korea and China.

3. High external debt could comprimise the financial support of goverment

About mo_rush's theme classification, I would add some modifications (IN CAPITAL LETTERS)

Theme 10 - Paralympic Games: Chicago (MADRID)

Theme 13 - Security: Tokyo (CHICAGO/MADRID)

Theme 14 - Accommodation: Tokyo/Chicago (MADRID)

Basically, Rio wins in one them, Madrid wins in five, Chicago does so in one and Tokyo in one as well. Nevertheless the bids are very close in most themes

Winner in each theme:

Theme 1 - Vision, Legacy and Communication: Madrid

Theme 6 - Environment and Meteorology: Madrid

Theme 7 - Finance: Madrid

Theme 8 - Marketing: Tokyo/Chicago

Theme 10 - Paralympic Games: Madrid

Theme 11 - Olympic Village: Tokyo

Theme 12 - Medical Services: Madrid/Tokyo

Theme 13 - Security: Tokyo/Madrid

Theme 14 - Accommodation: Tokyo

Theme 16 - Technology: Tokyo/Chicago/Madrid

Theme 17 - Media Operations: Madrid/Tokio

Madrid is winner in my opinion in 11 themes over 17 and Tokyo is winner in 6 themes. So my vote goes to Madrid because has the best bid, very compact, responsible with the environment and sustainable development.

Let's show off our biases then...biggrin.gif

My vote goes to Madrid.

Because of:

1. Well planned bid, with compact, well-linked venues - You can say the same for Tokyo & Chicago

2. Experience of Madrid (and Spain generally) in hosting big international events - The U.S. and Japan have experience as well, and one can say Rio has seen its fair share lately

3. Low budget and high percentage of venues already in operation - I agree

4. Rising presence of Spanish sports people in the sporting world - um, OK

5. It's my hometown

Chicago:

1. Anglo-saxon culture - I have never called anyone an "anglo-saxon" that really sounds funny and barbaric

2. Low support (Not 100% financial support and low population support) - I wouldn't consider 76% to be "low public support," especially given the current economic climate, but yes there is limited government support, but the U.S. has demonstrated time after time it can pull off a Games without needing massive government spending (this should show other host cities that they don't need to run huge budget overruns)

3. The temporarily Stadium Thing! Bad legacy. - I guess its much better than a huge white elephant like some recent hosts (Beijing, Athens and Sydney). It can also serve as a model to other future host cities - with two consecutive hosts having a temporary stadium

Rio:

1. Huge budget. Risk of exploding budget and economic problems cause of it. - I agree

2. Low technical bid (so far) - I agree

3. Too soon after World Cup 2014 - I agree

Tokyo:

1. Very low support in region / Peaking 2008 - Asian culture - I agree

2. No real new legacy. Rebuilding over old Games - I do not agree. I think Tokyo has an ambitious legacy plan

3. High external debt could compromise the financial support of government - possibly

Let's show off our biases then... :D

My vote goes to Madrid.

2. Experience of Madrid (and Spain generally) in hosting big international events

Chicago:

2. US as only alternative to host big events in the American continent: countries south of Rio Grande also deserve their share

Tokyo:

2. Other Asian countries deserve the chance of having an Olympiad. So far it's been Japan (don't forget the winter Games in Nagano in 1998 and Sappor in '72) and to a lesser extent Korea and China.

You praise Spain for having the experience of hosting major events but then use the US's and Japan's experience as a negative. Even though Madrid hasn't hosted an Olympics, Spain has - and a very recent edition.

I agree that a Chicago Games would not offer much to our knowledge about American culture and that perhaps other cities in the Americas are more deserving of their time in the spotlight, however, the same can be said of Madrid. Why give Spain the Games again when there is the prospect of Paris, Berlin, Rome, or several other possible European hosts in 2020 or 2024? Don't other European cities also deserve their chance - those who haven't hosted before or haven't hosted for many, many years? If it is so important for Madrid to feel like a major European city (which in my opinion it is anyway), Spain should have chosen Madrid for 1992 and not Barcelona. Barcelona 1992 is as much a reason why Madrid should wait longer as Los Angeles 1984 and Atlanta 1996 are reasons why Chicago shouldn't be awarded the Games.

Also, neither Salt Lake City or Nagano are reasons not to award the Summer Games to those countries - the Winter Games only have a limited number of host countries anyway.

It's also ridiculous to use Seoul and Beijing as reasons against Tokyo, whilst not using Athens and London as reasons not to host in Madrid. There are far more differences between Beijing and Tokyo than there are between London and Madrid!

I am not agree, Madrid and Tokyo bid are better than Chicago or Rio and everone know it. So it is not true that the 4 bid are equally. Madrid does not want to change the history we want to organize an excellents games like Barcelona 1992.

I think what Baron meant is, there's three other very, very capable bids; and he thinks the only circumstance where Europe should get 2016 is if the European city bidding was the only capable host. I think you're arguing over fine semantics and missing the general jist of his post - which is hard to disagree with in many ways.

I am not agree, Madrid and Tokyo bid are better than Chicago or Rio and everone know it. So it is not true that the 4 bid are equally. Madrid does not want to change the history we want to organize an excellents games like Barcelona 1992.

And the other 3 cities are saying: we are going to stage mediocre Games?? :rolleyes:

What if Rio said: you had your chance 17 years ago (because the IOC president at the time was a Spaniard, mind you). Tokyo had theirs 45 years ago. We've never had ours. We are a dues-paying member of the IOC, so why not let us have a go at it?? :blink:

Yes we had our chance in 1992 with Barcelona and we hosted one of the best games in the history; and now We will have a new chace in 2016 with Madrid, TENGO UNA CORAZONADA.

I am very happy because you said that the honorarie president Juan Antonio Samaranch Salisach has a big power of decision among the IOC member's, I did not know it. Last friday he was with the IOC members in Madrid supporting the bid. Something is changing right now and Madrid is growing up.

www.tengounacorazonada.com

www.madrid2016.es

Really? :blink: Then why are they bidding again? :lol:

He who laughs last laughs best!

Baron,

They just bid because they want to, any problem with that? If any other European city want to host an Olympic games, they should try as hard as Madrid is trying. And by the time 2020 or whatever year comes, Madrid will be there again if we are not awarded the games for 2016, and we will get them eventually sooner or later. You think that this is a short term project or something like that, but here we are working already for the games because we will get them in 2016, 2020 or whenever they come. So keep laughing at us.

At least you should show some type of respect for those who want the games in our own city or those who support us.

He who laughs last laughs best!

Baron,

They just bid because they want to, any problem with that?

Oh no, I have no problem with that. I guess I should be thankful that I am not a taxpayer of Madrid/Castilla, so I don't see my taxes going to waste.

Oh but wait, I forget that Don Alfonso Quijana comes from the region. :lol:

My bad. ;)

Oh no, I have no problem with that. I guess I should be thankful that I am not a taxpayer of Madrid/Castilla, so I don't see my taxes going to waste.

Oh but wait, I forget that Don Alfonso Quijana comes from the region. :lol:

My bad. ;)

At least our taxes go to improvements that are enjoyed by the whole population, not like in the US (where I´ve lived), with no public health care system, a metro system who looks from a third world country (such as the one in Boston) and a lot of other things that makes me wonder why on earth taxpayers in the US dont begin a revolution.

If you ever come to Madrid, you will SEE what Im talking about.

And before talking about the honorable Don Quijote, please learn how to write his name first... it´s not so difficult. :lol:

At least our taxes go to improvements that are enjoyed by the whole population, not like in the US (where I´ve lived), with no public health care system, a metro system who looks from a third world country (such as the one in Boston) and a lot of other things that makes me wonder why on earth taxpayers in the US dont begin a revolution.

If you ever come to Madrid, you will SEE what Im talking about.

And before talking about the honorable Don Quijote, please learn how to write his name first... it´s not so difficult. :lol:

Oi...here we go again. NO COUNTRY on earth is perfect. We can post until the cows come home about mine is better than yours, etc., etc.

Do you really want to get started on that?

Yes, the US has a crappy public health system. We are the first to admit that; and the administration is finding ways to fix that. That is certainly better than NOT admitting to your mistakes and NOT owning up to them, no?? <_<

Oi...here we go again. NO COUNTRY on earth is perfect. We can post until the cows come home about mine is better than yours, etc., etc.

Do you really want to get started on that?

Yes, the US has a crappy public health system. We are the first to admit that; and the administration is finding ways to fix that. That is certainly better than NOT admitting to your mistakes and NOT owning up to them, no?? <_<

I never said my country was perfect... but if you laugh at Madrid's taxpayers, first you should look at your own country/city whatever it is. By the way, when anybody here didnt admit our mistakes? What mistakes are you talking about? What happened in your life that you hate Madrid so badly? Is it that they presented such a nice bid and you are scared we will win it? ... just wondering... :lol: :lol:

I never said my country was perfect... but if you laugh at Madrid's taxpayers, first you should look at your own country/city whatever it is. By the way, when anybody here didnt admit our mistakes? What mistakes are you talking about? What happened in your life that you hate Madrid so badly? Is it that they presented such a nice bid and you are scared we will win it? ... just wondering... :lol: :lol:

Uhmm, it's becoming a matter of semantics.

I feel more sorry for the taxpayers of Madrid rather than ridiculing them. Again, semantics.

Mistakes...shortcomings...faults...same thing.

I don't hate Madrid. (It's the heat in July and AUugst....just kidding.) ;) Remember, I am also of Spanish heritage, and I am very comfortable visiting Spain. But I don't let that color my critical and analytical judgment. In the cold light of day, all things being equal, it is too soon to bring the Games to Spain again because there is one other country that hasn't had it...and I am just stating facts (that you newbies don't seem to factor in) -- that it's MORE than just the technical results that will determine the race. A bit more.

But, hey...I hope Madrid keeps up its 'favorite' front-runner position going into October!! Sinceramente!! B)

Uhmm, it's becoming a matter of semantics.

I feel more sorry for the taxpayers of Madrid rather than ridiculing them. Again, semantics.

Mistakes...shortcomings...faults...same thing.

I don't hate Madrid. (It's the heat in July and AUugst....just kidding.) ;) Remember, I am also of Spanish heritage, and I am very comfortable visiting Spain. But I don't let that color my critical and analytical judgment. In the cold light of day, all things being equal, it is too soon to bring the Games to Spain again because there is one other country that hasn't had it...and I am just stating facts (that you newbies don't seem to factor in) -- that it's MORE than just the technical results that will determine the race. A bit more.

But, hey...I hope Madrid keeps up its 'favorite' front-runner position going into October!! Sinceramente!! B)

Actually Madrid is not the favourite and you know it better than anybody else (let´s not contradict ourselves).

That's what makes me feel that Madrid can win... let´s see what happens with the great favourites (Chicago and Rio)...

Archived