Brazil 2014 World Cup...

NY sort of did...since NY's football team uses the Meadowlands stadia across the Hudson. As Blatter toured the new stadium there last October, that will be the "New York" venue.

just like Boston, it was a host city but Gillette stadium is in Foxborough

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The works on Maracana stadium began with soil study for excavations were four new access ramps will be built. This will help decrease the outflow time from 20 to 8 minutes. One of FIFA requirements for hosting the WC final. The initial works will be made in the external area to allow games until may, when the stadium will be closed.

0,,36991228-EX,00.jpg

0,,36991286-EX,00.jpg

0,,36987372-EX,00.jpg

Source: www.globoesporte.com

more from www.lancenet.com.br:

02.JPG

04.jpg

05.JPG

07.JPG

http://www.lancenet.com.br/galerias/maracana-entra-em-obras-para-a-copa-de-2014/fotos/08.jpg[/img

• 2 weeks later...

Teixeira says oil row won't threaten Rio

World Cup Organizing Committee and CBF President Ricardo Teixeira has received assurances from Rio’s Governor Sergio Cabral that infrastructure projects planned in the city ahead of the World Cup are not in danger.

Teixeira contacted Cabral after reports that offshore oil royalties would leave the state with inadequate resources for infrastructure projects for the World Cup and Olympics.

Teixeira, currently at the Fifa Executive Committee meeting in Zurich, mentioned in a posting on the CBF website that Cabral is certain that the proposal of a new royalties deal will not pass Senate and that President Lula has promised to do his utmost so that the project will not be approved.

Teixeira added that he had passed this information on to his fellow FIFA Ex-co members because there were so many questions from foreign press about the issue.

Rio is slated to host the World Cup media centre and final.

http://www.worldfootballinsider.com/Story.aspx?id=33100

Preparations' wise, how are we going? I know that Manaus Stadium construction rights' bidding has finnished but other than that I haven't seen much. Apparently ALL the stadia will have their work started after FIFA's maximum deadline? :blink:

Preparations' wise, how are we going? I know that Manaus Stadium construction rights' bidding has finnished but other than that I haven't seen much. Apparently ALL the stadia will have their work started after FIFA's maximum deadline? :blink:

Apparently some of renovations at Morumbi stadium have already started... Also, Curitiba's is half-way...

Apart from that...

Today's FIFA executive meeting press conference:

...FIFA also praised Brazil’s efforts to host the 2014 FIFA tournament.

“The last information we got was quite good, and the last projects fulfilled our requirements,” said Jerome Valcke, FIFA’s secretary general. “There’s no concern today on the 2014 FIFA World Cup.”

http://www.worldfootballinsider.com/Story.aspx?id=33106

ZURICH (Reuters) - Soccer's governing body FIFA has buried the hatchet with Brazilian club Sao Paulo over improvements to the Morumbi stadium for the 2014 World Cup.

FIFA general secretary Jerome Valcke was strongly criticised in Brazil after saying a project to reform the Morumbi -- owned by the club -- did not meet the standards set by the world body for matches in the tournament's latter stages.

However, Valcke said the two sides had now ironed out their differences.

"The latest information about the saga between FIFA and Sao Paulo is that the latest project fulfilled all our requirements," Valcke told reporters.

"It's seems there is a clear understanding on what we are looking for."

"It's nothing against Sao Paulo, we weren't saying that the Morumbi can't host the semi-final," Valcke told reporters.

"With regards to the Maracana, the last report is in line with what we've been working on with the local organising committee and we never entered discussion over guarantees," he said.

"Commercial sales are higher than where we were at the same time with 2010 hosts South Africa, we have finalised a number of commercial agreements which are amazing.

"There is no concern from FIFA's side today on the 2014 World Cup."

http://in.reuters.com/article/sportsNews/idINIndia-47070920100319?sp=true

Brazilian telecommunications company becomes first World Cup sponsor for Brazil 2014

Oi is the largest telecommunications company in Brazil, offering local and long-distance voice transmission, mobile telephony, data communication, internet and entertainment. In a landmark agreement, which begins in 2011, Oi will become the official FIFA World Cup telecommunications service provider for the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil.

FIFA

FIFA postponed the deadline for the stsart of the construction of the stadiums for May 3. But some venues already start the workings:

Rio de Janeiro has begun to build new access ramps. A tender is on course for the major works that will start in April when the maracanã will be closed.

Belo Horizonte is doing the same with structural reinforcement works. After that, the stadium will be closed for the major renovation.

Manaus already begun to demolish the old stadium which will be replaced by the new world cup arena.

manau.jpg

The old Vivaldão stadium has begun to be dismantled.

Cuiabá and Salvador also finalized the tender process and the works should start soon.

The tender process in Brasilia, Natal, Fortaleza and Recife are still in progress. The last two are more advanced in the process.

It seems that São Paulo is in the right direction now.

I don't know much about the other private stadiums in Curitiba and Porto Alegre, but they will pass by renovations only.

The logo of the 2014 World Cup will be launched in a big party in June in Johannesburg, in the "Brazil House" - an area like that showed in the 2016 olympics announcement - which will be mounted by Federal Government in South Africa to promote the country and the competition.

The mascot will also be launched in the same event. The choice of the mascot is being made in secret by the organizing committee. Usually it is a symbol of the host country. The inauguration of the Brazil House is scheduled for June 12 in Johannesburg.

The logo of the 2014 World Cup will be launched in a big party in June in Johannesburg, in the "Brazil House" - an area like that showed in the 2016 olympics announcement - which will be mounted by Federal Government in South Africa to promote the country and the competition.

The mascot will also be launched in the same event. The choice of the mascot is being made in secret by the organizing committee. Usually it is a symbol of the host country. The inauguration of the Brazil House is scheduled for June 12 in Johannesburg.

FONTE NOVA stadium final project :

reminds of CapeTowns GreenPoint stadium

I have to say I quite like the project. It updates the classic lines for which Fonte Nova is famous. Salvador deserves a modern stadium and Fonte Nova's current state does not do justice to the first capital of Brazil.

Sao paulo is no longer hosting the '14WC opening ceremony :

http://www.copa2014.org.br/noticias/2455/MORUMBI+NAO+FARA+ABERTURA+DA+COPA.html

translation: http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.copa2014.org.br%2Fnoticias%2F2455%2FMORUMBI%2BNAO%2BFARA%2BABERTURA%2BDA%2BCOPA.html&lp=pt_en&btnTrUrl=Translate

The door is open for other cities, Belo Horizonte shoudl be the strongest contender :

http://www.copa2014.org.br/noticias/2462/BH+TERIA+DESISTIDO+DA+ABERTURA.html

translation : http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.copa2014.org.br%2Fnoticias%2F2462%2FBH%2BTERIA%2BDESISTIDO%2BDA%2BABERTURA.html&lp=pt_en&btnTrUrl=Translate

my thoughts : im glad SP is not having the opening, I dont like the city nor the stadium. Sao paulo is just a huge city with millions of ugly buildings,and pollution, nothing more . Belo horizonte is a beautiful city with an awesome stadia plan for 2014.

/\ God, that translation is horrible!! It calls World Cup 2014...Vestibule2014!! :blink: I stopped right there!

well i just used a webpage translator, i didnt do it myself bc alot of words in portuguese i dont understand either so.. x[

/\ God, that translation is horrible!! It calls World Cup 2014...Vestibule2014!! :blink: I stopped right there!

Long story short: Ricardo Teixeira, CBF's president, has come forward and said in a interview that Morumbi will not be hosting the opening match of the world cup due to its project being less than stellar and not meeting FIFA's requiremente. This is wierd considering that Jerome Valcke said that the stadium's new design was way better and actually met everything FIFA's asked São Paulo FC, the owners of the stadium.

Then, he said that Belo Horizonte has given up the right to host the opening as well, but this was later revealed to be untrue by the chairman of the Belo Horizonte Executive Comission, who said the city and the state were working very hard to meet all of FIFA's requirements. This was even more absurd considering that Aécio Neves, Minas Gerais Governor winned and dinned Teixeira to discuss the project of BH being the place of the opening match last week!

Well, I guess that's pretty much it. Hope I could help!

Is that BIG open part of the stadium supposed to be for concert patforms? :blink:

Not really, it's just a open space over the 1st level parking lot that CAN be used for building stages.

Much much better project for Morumbi.

Now I see a modern stadium for soccer matches!!!

And it's a reasonable stadium (in beauty) for a opening match.

Weel done Sao Paulo! Loved it!

PS: I still prefer Brasilia for the opening match

Much much better project for Morumbi.

Now I see a modern stadium for soccer matches!!!

And it's a reasonable stadium (in beauty) for a opening match.

Weel done Sao Paulo! Loved it!

PS: I still prefer Brasilia for the opening match

are u being sarcasticor u really mean it? lol x]

Morumbis project does look much much better than what it is now, but i dotn think it deserves the opening much, and it wont, isnt that what the article is saying? oh and brasilia. im not buying it, i prefere Belo Horizonte or Manaus

btw danny read this :

http://www.copa2014....rategica/?p=144

its a mess, after Brasilias Governor went to jail nothing should concretize, something like that was already expected. x]

I really enjoyed the new project (that destroy that guly three-floor-rings of the stadium). I'm not being sarcastic.

But I don't agree with Sao Paulo being the opening match city... Many reasons for it, specially, media and touristic ones.

About Brasilia didn't know about the mess... Well, I wish good luck for them

And, well, Manaus is mine and Sepp Blatter's first choice for the Opening Match...

So Manaus will be the surprise???

I could bet some bucks on the amazon city... =]]

I really enjoyed the new project (that destroy that guly three-floor-rings of the stadium). I'm not being sarcastic.

But I don't agree with Sao Paulo being the opening match city... Many reasons for it, specially, media and touristic ones.

About Brasilia didn't know about the mess... Well, I wish good luck for them

And, well, Manaus is mine and Sepp Blatter's first choice for the Opening Match...

So Manaus will be the surprise???

I could bet some bucks on the amazon city... =]]

yep Manaus would be interesting. But its more logical to be held in Belo, its what everyones expecting, and its favorable in every aspect, as for transportation, accomodation, great stadia location, and lots of room.

yep Manaus would be interesting. But its more logical to be held in Belo, its what everyones expecting, and its favorable in every aspect, as for transportation, accomodation, great stadia location, and lots of room.

Accomodation? 19.000 hotel rooms... São Paulo's got 42.000 and Rio 28.000. Where will all the people sleepin BH?

Brasilia, Florianópolis (won't host any matches), Natal and Curitiba have more hotel rooms than Belo Horizonte, but neither of them will have a stadium capable of hosting the opening match. Therefore, if São Paulo doesn't get the opening match, I bet Rio will host both of them...

Archived