Brazil 2014 World Cup...

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Manaus lies in the middle of a rain forest. In that place rain every day. But the stadium project takes benefit of the water that will be reused for cooling. The ventilation will be natural, soften the environmental loss. Because the rain, the stadium will have a retractable roof to give more confort to the public and the players. There is some details of the project:

58470347.jpg

11125345.jpg

65849125.jpg

18972043.jpg

94253626.jpg

The roof of Estádio de Cuiabá has projected by SBP Schlaich, Bergermann & Partner Structural Consulting Engineers, the same company that projected the roofs of Manaus and Brasilia stadiums. The project is signed by Castro Mello Arquitetos, also involved in Brasilia project.

cuiab05.jpg

cuiab06.jpg

cuiab07.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Cuiabá updated their project:

c5301cf706d7edf7b118d7de558a9875.jpg

10e8c089fa67769ab72a52c0679540db.jpg

826aee6c7f42e5ec1f182a8ab2d5400a.jpg

10e517d78424015243f4843a8c199399.jpg

7c5029a90eee84dd6b46d5f56dc33cd4.jpg

23a949ee6bcf8cd17e8a267e5a329697.jpg

Because the poor tradiction of local football, the stadium will have the capacity reduced from 42.000 to 28.000 after the World Cup:

verdo.jpg

1226.jpg

I noticed these Brazilian stadiums are have a lot of "rainforest" emphasis in their designs. I have to admit, I am a big fan of Cuiabá stadium.

Although, I must add the Brasila stadium is just U-G-L-Y , seriously how in the world did they select that stadium design ? An open stadium in an region with a tropical climate isn't a good idea. Besides, that thing looks like its standing on twigs or toothpicks.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I like brasilias design but I don't like the color, it looks like wood nd pale. For me the best design is Manaus, very elegant IT kinda reminds me of the birds nest. I don't like maracanas design, it has minor changes into it; today it's a huge stadium for the brazilians but if it stays like that, in comparison to the others it'll be forgotten and cheap looking, while others cities are building up phenomenal structures. Joao Havelange Stadium is Latin Americas most modern stadium, after all these projects maracanas will stay behind, I hope they come up with a new design.

Everything in Brazil is glass and gray... It make sense with the "retro-future viewed from 50s" architecture style.

Brasilia is sometimes a weird city because its buildings.

• 2 weeks later...

Rio government release some details of the Maracana project. The main changes are:

* Demolish the swimming and athletics stadiums adjacents to Maracanã (only after the construction of those stadiums in another terrain).

* Construction of new access ramps and elevated pavements to increase circulation area.

* Construction of football museum and areas for stores.

* Substitution of the existent seats for models with backs in accordance with FIFA requirements.

* Construction of a parking adjacent to stadium.

* Extension of the roof to cover all seats (maybe even the field. That depend of the winner proposal of the constructor company).

imagem1law.jpg

Roof design:

imagem2yqk.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just some points on the preparations:

1. Maracana will host the final match! It's the only project that fits the requirement of 80.000+ capacity. So, there is no competition on this part.

2. Opening match is between Brasilia, Belo Horizonte and Sao Paulo. Porto Alegre's stadium also has the required capacity, but seems to be sitting out for this fight. In my opinion Brasilia should follow and opt for a 40.000 capacity, which would be a smaller white elephant, unless Flamengo (from Rio) decides to play there. The only reason why it stands a chance is politics, since it is the capital, though less populated and important than the other 3 possible choices. SP would be the right one.

3. The choice of Manaus was the most questionable. Belem would require less investment and the stadium is actually used by the 2 big local teams (Paysandu and Remo). Another white elephant!!!

4. Cuiaba did a smart move by reducing the capacity after the event, to avoid a white elephant. They will boost tourism and may host some future qualifiers and friendly matches for the national team.

5. The current strategy for scheduling the matches will have to be revisited. During the WC not only distance, but different climates will be an issue. If you add the time zones in the equation (games at noon to please Euro TV channels) this would be a big challenge

• 2 weeks later...
(games at noon to please Euro TV channels) this would be a big challenge

Imagine Sweden vs. Russia in Cuiaba at 2PM...

In the middle of winter Cuiabá got 40C.... Meanwhile in the same day Porto Alegre had 9C...

Imagine Sweden vs. Russia in Cuiaba at 2PM...

In the middle of winter Cuiabá got 40C.... Meanwhile in the same day Porto Alegre had 9C...

I propose Argentina group matches to be scheduled to Manaus (12 p.m.), Porto Alegre (10 p.m.) and Cuiaba (12p.m.). They would travel around 7h between matches and face 40C, then 5C, then 40C again. It would be perfect. Either sick or dead tired!

My proposal to Argentina is Natal, Porto Alegre and Manaus in the first leg... LOL

In Natal it will not be s hot as Cuiabá. They will get a nice breeze and rains are common in that season. Cuiabá will be dry and hot.

But we should also talk about Brazil's schedule. I would say: SP or Brasilia (opening), Recife or Salvador (Recife has been considered a lucky charm for a long time) and Rio de Janeiro.

The problem with Morumbi is the lack of spaces in the surrounding area to deploy the temporary broadcasting infrastructure. Until that issue is solved, SP will not be hosting either the opening match or the semi-finals.

Archived