India will bid for 2016 Olympics

Stu

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I suspect New Delhi needs to host a successful Commonwealth Games in 2010 before an Olympic bid will have a realistic chance of success. I would say 2020 is the earliest time they could go for it really.

Let's hope that the preparations for the 2010 Commonwealth Games will not get delayed greatly that the organizers end up scrambling to get them done.

• 2 months later...

I don't even know why I'm bringing this thread back up -- but I guess I am just reacting to the GB news story about our President 'promoting' New Delhi's 2016 Olympic dreams??  GBMod, where did you pick this story up?

I mean -talk about putting a 'spin' on things.   :rolleyes:  WHy would the US president get involved in another country's Olympic decisions when his own country harbors its own ambitions in the same time frame?  I mean unless Pakistan planted that story, it's really one of the most absurd I've heard.  I'd even believe that Mahatma Gandhi endorses a 2016 bid by India rather than this poppycock story.

Honestly, I guess India has to clean up New Delhi, and I mean really clean it up. India's majority religion Hinduism, prevents it's believers from killing or hurting a cow. You'll see cows running all over the place, so it's inevitable for you to not see the waste all over New Delhi streets.

And you don't want the cows to be running into the hotel rooms! From what I know, citizens there don't bother or even stop a cow from doing anything they want. It's prohibited.

I don't think they'll have a chance for 2016, IMO.

Honestly, I guess India has to clean up New Delhi, and I mean really clean it up. India's majority religion Hinduism, prevents it's believers from killing or hurting a cow. You'll see cows running all over the place, so it's inevitable for you to not see the waste all over New Delhi streets.

Funny, I don't see too many Indians running in Pamplona!   :suspect:

I believe that India is, at best, about 30-40 years off from a successful bid.  The country has the population and it is a growing economy, but it has two major things going against it...a weak infrastructure and a poor sporting tradition.

One bronze in Atlanta.  Another in Sydney.  And a silver in Athens.

I don't even know why I'm bringing this thread back up -- but I guess I am just reacting to the GB news story about our President 'promoting' New Delhi's 2016 Olympic dreams??  GBMod, where did you pick this story up?

I mean -talk about putting a 'spin' on things.   :rolleyes:  WHy would the US president get involved in another country's Olympic decisions when his own country harbors its own ambitions in the same time frame?  I mean unless Pakistan planted that story, it's really one of the most absurd I've heard.  I'd even believe that Mahatma Gandhi endorses a 2016 bid by India rather than this poppycock story.

When I read that GB story, I was going  :shocked: .

This is almost like that one topic in these forums. For those who know what I'm talking about when it comes to "spin", then you know what I mean.

However, I think it will be difficult for India to get ideas of staging an Olympic Games for a while. First, I would like to see how Delhi will stage the Commonwealth Games. Second, the thought of how India's various values that will clash with Olympic ideals could get ugly to me. Now that the world is looking forward to Beijing and the 2008 Olympic Games, China is going to be "pushed around" in many scenarios because of just those preparations for the event. Can India do the same or will it crumble under the strain?

by 2009 cape town would have completed its 70,000 stadium, to host athletic, football and other events etc.

along with a central park like surroundings and possibly an indoor arena, with fairly good transport facilities in and around the area, certainly not to host the olympic games but suitable for the world cup...a 2016 bid from cape town..how much better do you think its chances are now, i.e. presenting a bid with an existing recently built all weather stadium, along with park like surroundings...

or do the delhi 2010 games really boost delhi's chances by that much more...what does the IOC think? football world cup or commonwealth games..?? which gains more credibility even if the one is  national and the other a city based event.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear all

India should bid for 2020 olympics. By 2010, it will be a little force to reckon with when it hold Commonwealth games. Then for 2014 Asian games, it has  almost 100 percetn chance to win the bid thsi december in Doha. So by 2020, it will be one of the biggest world economy and  its athletes will be capable of delivering results.

all the best.

arvind

by 2009 cape town would have completed its 70,000 stadium, to host athletic, football and other events etc.

along with a central park like surroundings and possibly an indoor arena, with fairly good transport facilities in and around the area, certainly not to host the olympic games but suitable for the world cup...a 2016 bid from cape town..how much better do you think its chances are now, i.e. presenting a bid with an existing recently built all weather stadium, along with park like surroundings...

or do the delhi 2010 games really boost delhi's chances by that much more...what does the IOC think? football world cup or commonwealth games..?? which gains more credibility even if the one is  national and the other a city based event.

Actually, I believe the Commonwealth Games are a better indicator of a candidate cities abilities then the World Cup.

The world cup is obviously a much grander event, but the Commonwealth Games really do stretch a city and make it 'work' more completely then a world cup.

India will probably be waiting until the 2030s or so. But if New Delhi 2010 is a success, that could move up to 2024-2028.

After watching the small segment promoting India 2010 at the closing ceremony in Melbourne last night, I think it would be a magic choice.  I think it is almost imperative that the worlds fastest growing nation takes up as a host of the Olympic games.  2016 may be out of the question as it would have to be a succesful candidate at the 2009 session before the commonwealth games have taken place.  So a genuine bid would be 2020.  It would really be something special.  Bollywood meets the IOC - would be very colorful.

Go delhi go!!!

After watching the small segment promoting India 2010 at the closing ceremony in Melbourne last night, I think it would be a magic choice.  I think it is almost imperative that the worlds fastest growing nation takes up as a host of the Olympic games.  2016 may be out of the question as it would have to be a succesful candidate at the 2009 session before the commonwealth games have taken place.  So a genuine bid would be 2020.  It would really be something special.  Bollywood meets the IOC - would be very colorful.

Go delhi go!!!

yeah, if Delhi puts in a bid for 2016, then it would probably be a dry-run for a more serious 2020 run; at which time it would've proven itself after the 2010 CWG Games.

i have my reservations about india's 2010 preparations. things arent what they seem to be.

You are right - it seems that Delhi is deliberately delaying construction for the 2010 Commonwealth Games so that the venues are still in their prime for the 2014 Asian Games and the 2016 Olympics - there's nothing like confidence!

http://www.indianexpress.com/story/1692.html

IMO, the trouble with India's (and in the same degrfee South Africa's) ambitions for 2016 is that the vote for that host will tgake place in 2009 _ a year before either country will get the chance to demonstrate their big events hosting capabilities in their respective events in 2010 (CWGs and the FIFA WC). Any bid by either for 2016, then, is likely to be more a trial run/testing the waters bid before a serious challenge for 2020, by which time they will be able to point to their success (hopefully) with their 2010 events.

To my mind, the only real "new frontiers" contender with a good chance for 2016 could be Brazil (Rio). Geopolitics could favour them  (2016 would favour a western hemisphere bidder) and they would by the time of the vote have the 2007 Pan-Ams under their belt to prove experience, capability and existing venues.

i dont believe the IOC will be very "nice" to delhi if it produced a technical report..we cud see the same thing that happened to KL..remembering KL is prob a better candidate or not???

the IOC if it was between Rio, Ct and some other wannabe frontier bids...would prob only select one in the final shortlist or not?? anyhoo hoo har...there were some serious logistical problems with the rio 2012 bid...this needs to be resolved...

i dont believe the IOC will be very "nice" to delhi if it produced a technical report..we cud see the same thing that happened to KL..remembering KL is prob a better candidate or not???

the IOC if it was between Rio, Ct and some other wannabe frontier bids...would prob only select one in the final shortlist or not?? anyhoo hoo har...there were some serious logistical problems with the rio 2012 bid...this needs to be resolved...

I agree that only one 'new frontier' stands a chance of getting onto the shortlist - Tokyo, Rome, Madrid and New York already take four of the the five (all these cities surely will be awarded places even if the European bids have a more difficult chance of ultimate success) and the IOC is unlikely to increase the number of shortlisted cities - it takes all day as it is!

I think that between Rio, Cape Town and Delhi it's difficult to separate, I can see all three of them holding a Summer Olympics soon, but it would be a huge advantage to reach the shortlist for 2016.

Archived