TORONTO 2016

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm just not sure. It doesn't seem that Toronto or Canada is rumbling about a 2016 bid.

I mean, the COC hasn't even announced interest in taking any bids, and that is what keeps me from thinking this will happen.

Would the COC need to hold an internal selection anyway. Who else but Toronto would Canada put up to bid. I doubt Montreal would be interested again and vancouver already has its games.

Hey, what about Halifax? At least Jim Jones could be assued then that any Commonwealth Games facilities would have a future use.

I'm just not sure. It doesn't seem that Toronto or Canada is rumbling about a 2016 bid.

I mean, the COC hasn't even announced interest in taking any bids, and that is what keeps me from thinking this will happen.

I believe the COC and any other Toronto 2016 lobbyists are not allowed to publicly speak about a potential bid due to the fact that Toronto may officially bid for World Expo.

The COC wouldn't be the ones announcing that they are looking for interested Canadian cities wanting to bid for 2016. They are busy working with VANOC in preperations for those games but if Toronto lobbyists convince the COC that it will be worth their time, they will support and work with the Toronto team as well. It's been repeated before but I guess we have to wait to see if the COC will be able and willing to handle both agendas. I personally believe that they are fully capable of handling both.

Would the COC need to hold an internal selection anyway. Who else but Toronto would Canada put up to bid. I doubt Montreal would be interested again and vancouver already has its games.

Hey, what about Halifax? At least Jim Jones could be assued then that any Commonwealth Games facilities would have a future use.

Of course not, I'm just saying that the COC may or may not be interested in bidding for 2016, and that we really don't know.

And you can't say Vancouver can or cannot play a factor. I'm sure it could swing a couple of votes.

And you can't say Vancouver can or cannot play a factor. I'm sure it could swing a couple of votes.

Yes, granted, and we all know that every vote counts in a close contest. But I do think the Vancouver factor is not so much in its effect on the attitude of the IOC and its members, but more on the COC. Basically I think Vancouver has narrowed the COC's focus, so they're not thinking beyond that point to future bids ... yet.

That said, I think it's more Toronto's call than the COC's. IF, and it's a big IF, Toronto's City fathers decide they want to go after the games again, I doubt the COC would tell them not to.

I haven't heard anything about a 2016 Toronto bid, because of their 2015 World Expo bid. If Toronto ever does intend on bidding, I'd support it as wholeheartedly as I support PyeongChang. The World Expo wouldn't be bad either, if it meant revitalizing the waterfront. Toronto winning the 2008 Olympics could've been the greatest thing to happen to Toronto in a long time, as the waterfront was key to the bid. I think a figure proposed at the time was $2.8 billion to fix the waterfront if they won the 2008 bid back in 2001. At the time, the government said the waterfront would be fixed regardless of whether they won the bid or not. To date, only a fraction of that amount has even been seen. It's pretty clear (and sad) that only a major international event will revitalize the waterfront.

With Vancouver's organizing committee budget going up and up and up for a paltry little Winter Games and getting much grumbling and complaints from the governments, how can Canada really consider a triple sized Summer Olympics right after that. The bulk of the surplus of the Federal Government should go to improving our cities, infrastructure and social progams - not on organizing successive Olympic Games.

And to the people who bring up the Atlanta-SLC debate, lets' remember this: the USA has a population of 300 million; Canada has 30 million. US GDP is 12 trillion dollars; Canada's is one trillion. On those figures, Canada is slightly smaller than the state of California. That's a pretty big difference.

With Vancouver's organizing committee budget going up and up and up for a paltry little Winter Games and getting much grumbling and complaints from the governments, how can Canada really consider a triple sized Summer Olympics right after that. The bulk of the surplus of the Federal Government should go to improving our cities, infrastructure and social progams - not on organizing successive Olympic Games.

And to the people who bring up the Atlanta-SLC debate, lets' remember this: the USA has a population of 300 million; Canada has 30 million. US GDP is 12 trillion dollars; Canada's is one trillion. On those figures, Canada is slightly smaller than the state of California. That's a pretty big difference.

We all know the government is not going to do that with that money anyways. How long have they been having surpluses and barely spending much on city improvements? If your not aware, people are making a big deal about cost overruns for Vancouver's games. The figures are really not extremely outrageous. Every city experiences cost overuns like these and plus Vancouver's infrastructure, transportation and overall tourism industry will all benefit in the end with the high price tag. Eventually, it will pay itself off. And you ask how can Canada consider a Summer Olympics after this? Why? Because we can afford it and still have tons of money left over which can be transfered to cities to improve infrastructure and social programs as you've mentioned. But us Canadians know the government won't transfer much funds that way anyways. It's nothing new.

And your USA point, yes it hold strong that it is the USA and we all know it is almight and powerful and rich. Let us not forget Canada is a very rich country too. We may not have the world presence as the USA but why should that be taken into greater affect than the USA? It's still past precedence that we have had the same country host a WOG and a SOG 6 years apart. It's not impossible, it has already happened.

Sorry for some of the typos. It's 1:45am..lol...I just had to add this after reading it over

GO TORONTO!!! I hope Toronto wins, becuase I don't think the United Staes should host at this time, Canada is an top!! YAY CANADA!

Then let's never discuss or post pics of Capetown until it actually announces an Olympic bid. What are we here for if not to discuss and debate possibilities and options.

I just think some people get annoyed by this topic so don't want to talk about it now. But by the looks of it, it's one of the popular threads in this section.

GO TORONTO!!! I hope Toronto wins, becuase I don't think the United Staes should host at this time, Canada is an top!! YAY CANADA!

Y don't u defect to Canada, ad? :rolleyes:

And truth of the matter is, a Toronto 2016 won't happen and short of the continent disappearing, it'll either be a Chicago 2016 or a San Francisco 2016 happening. :P

Y don't u defect to Canada, ad? :rolleyes:

And truth of the matter is, a Toronto 2016 won't happen and short of the continent disappearing, it'll either be a Chicago 2016 or a San Francisco 2016 happening. :P

Don't get too cocky Baron! :) But it makes sense, your American and obviously you want ChiTown or SF to win.

I think I mentioned this before, but there is still time for Toronto to make up its mind to put forth an idea to the COC about a possible 2016 bid, regardless of the 2015 Expo bid decision. If I'm right, the BIE won't make its Expo 2015 decision until around December 2007-January 2008 time period. The IOC decision for the 2016 Olympic Games occurs in around July 2009 at Copenhagen. Since the IOC knows basically the potential of Toronto's capability to put on an Olympic Games, it is not like the city is going to put one on blindly without major consultation. And, most of us here saw and heard the kinds of consultation the city got in trying to getting an Olympic Games in its last two attempts: from the office boardroom right down into street protests.

Of course, in the federal government's case, what would that $13.2 bn Cdn do to help in both Vancouver 2010 Games and a possible Toronto 2016 Games bid? If you didn't know what happened to it, it all went to pay down the Canadian government's overall debt. Never mind that the governing Conservative minority decided to trim more money from other programs, too, of about $1 bn Cdn MORE.

Montreal was the last major city to host BOTH a major Expo and a SOG -- but they were 9 years apart. (Previous to that, it was only London, Paris and St. Louis; Vancouver's will be 24 years apart.) Aside from that, no other "A" city in the world has managed to host both a major world expo AND/OR a SOG within the same 10 years -- not Seattle, not New York, not Osaka, not Sevilla, not Hanover, not San Antonio, not Lisbon.

Lightning doesn't stike twice anymore. So I think Toronto is right in just going after Expo 2015. They have a better chance than the elusive SOG -- which will not be awarded to another Canadian city 4 months before a Canadian Winter Games will happen. No way. Waste of time and money on Toronto's part. And they're not going to bid just because a few posters on a certain board want them to.

The big catch is IF the city of Toronto will put a bid forward for Expo 2015. Call me a mute, but I haven't heard much about it since the last upsurge of this news from there some time ago. Plus, the deadline to really put candidate papers in to the BIE HQ, in Paris, is in November, if I'm correct. So, the crunch time is essentially here.

Montreal was the last major city to host BOTH a major Expo and a SOG -- but they were 9 years apart. (Previous to that, it was only London, Paris and St. Louis; Vancouver's will be 24 years apart.) Aside from that, no other "A" city in the world has managed to host both a major world expo AND/OR a SOG within the same 10 years -- not Seattle, not New York, not Osaka, not Sevilla, not Hanover, not San Antonio, not Lisbon.

Well, had Chicago not had their games STOLEN from them in 1904 it would have only been 11 years between the Worlds Columbian and the Olympics. <_<

Which is why Chicago should be awarded the 2016 games to right the wrong of 1904! :P

I hope to see either Toronto or Montreal host soon. I guess I lean more towards Montreal personally because I love Montreal and would love to see them get another shot to kind of erase the problems of 1976. I also feel Toronto had 2008 stolen from them because of the old facist.

There are other reasons though why I believe the 2020's will be Canada's time for another SOG. Which I am not in the mood to discuss right now because I am only on my first cup of coffee!

Lightning doesn't stike twice anymore. So I think Toronto is right in just going after Expo 2015. They have a better chance than the elusive SOG -- which will not be awarded to another Canadian city 4 months before a Canadian Winter Games will happen. No way. Waste of time and money on Toronto's part. And they're not going to bid just because a few posters on a certain board want them to.

I agree, you won't see Toronto hosting an Expo in 2015, then an Olympics in 2016. They need to chose one and stick to it.

I still don't see it a problem that voting for the 2016 is 4 months before the Vancouver games. It's not really a big deal that your making it Baron.

I don't know whether it's been said already, but what's the big fuss about an Expo? They barely get any coverage outside the host country (or am I wrong?) and are nowhere near the prestige of an Olympics - despite the obvious obstacle of Vancouver 2010, Toronto should concentrate on a bid for the Olympics.

Expos bring more tourists to a city, the Games bring more global attention. Expos last 6 months, the Games 2 weeks. Expos is an event to attend whereas the Games are a made-for-TV spectacle.

Expos are fun and games for those going to the city, but the Games expose a city to a global television audience.

Archived