TORONTO 2016

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A big waste of time and resources for the Canadians and Mexicans.  I am sure they have better things to do than piffly things like doing Olympic bids.

The arrogance is just reaking from you. What's the point in a bid selection process then right? Let's just hand the games over to the good ole' U S of A on a nice silver platter. No other country can compete with the mighty USA. Maybe the USA has "better things to do than piffly things like doing Olympic bids", like...hmmmm, actually its too much to type out.

A big waste of time and resources for the Canadians and Mexicans.  I am sure they have better things to do than piffly things like doing Olympic bids.

The arrogance is just reaking from you. What's the point in a bid selection process then right? Let's just hand the games over to the good ole' U S of A on a nice silver platter. No other country can compete with the mighty USA. Maybe the USA has "better things to do than piffly things like doing Olympic bids", like...hmmmm, actually its too much to type out.

gotcha there, didn't I?   :wink:

gotcha there, didn't I?   :wink:

Actually I would have rather enjoyed you trying to defend your statement.  :;):

Actually I would have rather enjoyed you trying to defend your statement.  :;):

I see no need to defend it.  Read into it what u will.   :wink:

It's okay Baron, obviously debating is one of your weaker fields. No rebutal? C'mon!!  :)

Oh, I'll continue the pattern with ending our posts with this face.  :;):

Okay, is this where I start my campaign for Edinburgh 2016? - Scotland hasn't held an Olympics before but has the wealth and infrastructure to cope.  London 2012 is all of 48 months before so I believe it will be the UK's turn again around the year 2016.  I thought Edinburgh Castle could be used for the beach volleyball and the main stadium and Olympic Park at Murrayfield!

Any thoughts  :P

PS. I do actually think that the IOC take into consideration both the Summer Olympics and Winter Games when awarding to a host city.

IM BEHIND YOU ALL THE WAY ON THAT ONE, BUT, SEEING AS IM A WEST COAST WEEGIE, CAN WE GO FOR A COMPROMISE???

Why not have everything in one park built on the M8 smack bang in between Glasgow and Edinburgh?? :idea:

On a funny note and talking about Toronto (not related to the Olympics), it seems that there is going to be a "big row" between it and one particular Texan city for the setting of a movie from a popular TV show. For those who know what I'm talking about, man, talk about "copyright infringement" on the opening sequence of the show's look.

The people that vote for the Winter Games are the same as those that vote for the Summer Games.

I don't know what you propose to replace the current selection system with.  The IOC owns the rights to the Olympic Games and they are making big efforts to clean up their image and be transparent, but there will always be some element of subjectivity in there because the host city is selected by humans who have emotions, passions, preferences and politics.  Unless we have a foot race of bid leaders?

You know what was the reason for cleaning up the selection process?  Sponsorship money.  The Olympics are brand and no consumer goods/services company out there wants to be associated with a dirty brand.  In the old days, the IOC could be as dirty as it wanted.  But now it has to be as open as it can because if the public percieves a problem they will pull their money away from the sponsors and the sponsors will pull their money away from the IOC.

And of course one games affect another games - summer or winter.  They are under the Olympic brand and as such are interconnected.  The relationship the Winter Games have with the Summer Games is much like that of the Moon and the Earth.  The Summer Games are bigger and at the centre of the movement with the Winter Games revolving around them, but their gravitational pull does impact each other.

And right now, Vancouver is mooning Toronto.

On a funny note and talking about Toronto (not related to the Olympics), it seems that there is going to be a "big row" between it and one particular Texan city for the setting of a movie from a popular TV show. For those who know what I'm talking about, man, talk about "copyright infringement" on the opening sequence of the show's look.

To this day, everybody's still reminising as to "Who shoot J.R.?". Ah. The 80's. They don't make tv shows like they used to.  :;):

Canada could theoretically afford to host an Olympics every year, demolish the venues and start again elsewhere without borrowing a dime.

Really?  Then I want a massive tax break!

I know it's just a rhetorical device, but I disagree. Canada has pressing concerns in terms of investment in education, health care and infrastructure that need to be addressed before further (overall) tax cuts.

"A half trillion dollar deficit in the US is the equivalent of a $100 million dollar debt in Canada :P "

Well, more like $60 billion. Come on though, Canada is about to join the very exclusive club of net lender countries (Switzerland, Japan, etc.) while the US is sweating about a currency crisis.

Isn't that what the "Paris Club" is?  ???

No.

link

I have to agree with EtW to some extent. If you guys don't like the discussion, feel free to leave. There is no indication Toronto will be bidding, but isn't that also the case for several popular American picks for the 2016 race?

People obviously love the discussion...look at how many pages of posts there are here.

There are a number of questions surrounding Toronto's chances and interest for 2016 and that creates a discussion.

And this is a discussion, not a Toronto 2016 pep rally.

Toronto 2008 - Expect the world.

Toronto 2016 - Expect a lotta discussion!

I'M a Quebecker, I speak French, sorry for my mistake. I have lot's to say, but it's difficult to explain my point of view in English today.

-------------

The city of Montréal will not coming in the 2016 race. I'm from Montréal and everyone find our mayor crazy to  bring back the idea of olympic. Quebeckers are more seeing winter games in quebec city ( probably in a long time due to Vancouver).

Also, I dont say that Toronto should try another shot for 2016, but I hope they consider their chance.  I dont know why every Torontians are backing the bid and no Vancouverites.  I know it's only six years after winter olympic games, we can have surprise. The games in Toronto start with a dream, and yes Im dreaming about it.  If Pyeongchang win the winter games, I think 2016 will coming back in North america. And Toronto could be stupid not trying.

They have lot's of people againt USA, if in 2009 the games for Vancouver look good and a very good bid " By the athlete for the athlete" could give a good chance to Toronto to win. Maybe the city will not win, but it's not like Istanbul. The problem of Istanbul it's the fact that the city are all the time bidding without solve the problem inside the bid. Toronto  deliver two strong bids, the only thing " not good thing" it's Vancouver 2010. But I think it's easier to getting first a winter and after a summer. A winter games it's really small. Canada games it's bigger by the number of althlete. So, me, if the 2014 are award to Asia, I will back Toronto. And I'm ready to fight USA. It's could be great for both country: Toronto even with a lost, will learn a lot. Even if we lose, trying having sports events it's good for say to the world, In Canada, we have a global city. Toronto have everything for becoming something really amazing. Lot's of new projects in Toronto show the vitality of our great metropolis. But vancouverites Vancouver it's my eden on earth and probably the most beautiful city in the whole world. We have to leave the city for 20 minutes for understand all the potential. Now coming back to Toronto 2016....  

Because USA got two games ( 1996 and 2002) I dont thing Canada will start really far away to USA bid.  But Toronto will have to deliver a very strong big..... and maybe Canada will shine again. Toronto was really close in 2008 ( she lost my a good margin because the game was award to China even before the battle opened..... for 2016 the thing will be better for Toronto, except if it's the time for Africa or Southamerica.

but it's not like Istanbul. The problem of Istanbul it's the fact that the city are all the time bidding without solve the problem inside the bid.

Thanks canucks4ever for the post. One thing to point out is that Istanbul has an "olympic law" in their constitution that they will do anything and everything to have the Olympics in Istanbul.

People obviously love the discussion...look at how many pages of posts there are here.

There are a number of questions surrounding Toronto's chances and interest for 2016 and that creates a discussion.

And this is a discussion, not a Toronto 2016 pep rally.

Toronto 2008 - Expect the world.

Toronto 2016 - Expect a lotta discussion

No it's not pep rally. Not yet. Not until the US decides. Not until Toronto decides to go ahead with the fair. But I will say that if want to seize the opportunity, now's the perfect time...regardless of too soon or too late it becomes. You can say to yourselves this is whole lotta discussion, but don't be so overconfident that Toronto will pass on this chance.

• 2 weeks later...
I would like to see Toronto get the Olympic games sometime in my lifespan. Toronto is the economic powerhouse of the country yet has never hosted any major multi-sport event to my knowledge.

It would make for an interesting opening ceremonies, as Toronto, (Huron Indian word for "The Meeting Place") is one of the most diverse cities in the word. Fireworks could shoot up the CN Tower and the flame could be on top ;)

I doubt that they'll have the flame atop the CN Tower. It would be a really interesting sight to see though.

You would need over a 1000+ gas pipe from the ground to carry the fuel to the top.

How about having it in a large and very thick, heat-resistant glass maple leaf, so there is a red leaf that sits on the side of the tower? The IOC would never approve, but they wouldn't have to know until it was actually lit...:)

Archived