TORONTO 2016

As a Hamiltonian, I would really love to see Steeltown hosting to Commonwealth Games sometime in the future. But the reality is that Halifax might take the games out of Hamilton's hands leaving another games in Canada, "too soon after Halifax." I just hope and pray Halifax loses to England or Scotland (that is if they bid).

well gee, that's quite selfish.  I'm wondering now why the hel! should I even be supporting a Toronto Olympic bid if this is how it's suppose to go.

Halifax will bring more benefits to Canada than Hamilton hosting would......and since when did Halifax throw itself a party?  Halifax needs this, Hamilton doesn't.

Forget Toronto 2016, there's a better chance that every forum member in GamesBids would win the lottery sometime during their life. It won't happen and would be a wasted effort.

Mr.X, your stupid. Just because one person says that doesn't mean everyone else believes the same thing. But what can you expect from a child.

Anyways, I don't know why Hamilton was brought up since they don't have the nod to as Canada's bidding city for 2014 Commonwealth games.

I also believe that Halifax would benefit more from a CWG than Hamilton would. They would be able to get a new stadium which then would lead to the city getting a CFL franchise.

I was trying to make my point towards him.....obviously, I would still support a Toronto bid.

Also............

TORONTO, ON -- Thursday, December 15, 2005 -- At a press conference in Toronto today, the President of Commonwealth Games Canada Claude Bennett announced that Halifax will be the Canadian bid for the 2014 Commonwealth Games. Halifax was chosen over three other Canadian communities from Hamilton, Ottawa and York Region.

The Canadian campaign to bid for the Games has been underway domestically since July and the cities have been finalizing their proposals in presentations that have been taking place in Toronto since Tuesday. The bids were rated across 14 catgories to determine their qualifications to host.

"There is no question that we have four world class bids" remarked Wayne Hellquist, Chair of the Bid Review Committee. He said that the decision was a difficult one, but the recommendation was unanimous across his committee.

Halifax must now compete at an international level against bids from Glasgow, Scotland and Abuja, Nigeria. The host of the 2014 games will be selected November 9, 2007 in Sri Lanka.

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't try to underestimate Toronto as not being as glamourous as other cities. Toronto IS glamourous!

I didn't say Toronto wasn't glamorous, I said that there were many other glamorous cities interested in applying for the 2016 Olympics.  The problem for Toronto will be that there will be four other major cities in the shortlist just as capable as Toronto but having not staged a Summer or Winter Olympics for a number of years if ever.  I even think that Torino 2006 will be a possible disadvantage to a Rome bid so Vancouver will almost certainly be a reason for some IOC members to think of placing their votes elsewhere - there will be candidates, like Tokyo, who haven't staged either Winter or Summer Games for some time by 2009 despite being capable of a very successful event.

I have nothing against Toronto trying, it's just that they will be facing an uphill struggle to convince many people that it is their turn before Vancouver 2010 has even occured.

I don't think Torino will be as a major disadvantage to a Rome bid as much as London 2012. If you think of it like this, Rome's got two major geopolitic problems against them. And let's not forget that Salzburg is a major player in the 2014 Winter Games. If they win those games, you can sure count Europe out of the equation for 2016.

Out of these, which other cities do you think will bid and have a good chance at being shortlisted and winning.

U.S. city

Toronto

Tokyo

Rome

Madrid

New Dehli

Rio de Janeiro

Cape Town

Honestly, I only see 1 European city making the shortlist, that's if any make it. The other 4 cities will be two from the Americas, one from Asia, and the last spot will be between a new destination: Africa/South America (Cape Town/Rio).

As a Hamiltonian, I would really love to see Steeltown hosting to Commonwealth Games sometime in the future. But the reality is that Halifax might take the games out of Hamilton's hands leaving another games in Canada, "too soon after Halifax." I just hope and pray Halifax loses to England or Scotland (that is if they bid).

well gee, that's quite selfish.  I'm wondering now why the hel! should I even be supporting a Toronto Olympic bid if this is how it's suppose to go.

Halifax will bring more benefits to Canada than Hamilton hosting would......and since when did Halifax throw itself a party?  Halifax needs this, Hamilton doesn't.

Forget Toronto 2016, there's a better chance that every forum member in GamesBids would win the lottery sometime during their life. It won't happen and would be a wasted effort.

Mr.X, your stupid. Just because one person says that doesn't mean everyone else believes the same thing. But what can you expect from a child.

Anyways, I don't know why Hamilton was brought up since they don't have the nod to as Canada's bidding city for 2014 Commonwealth games.

I also believe that Halifax would benefit more from a CWG than Hamilton would. They would be able to get a new stadium which then would lead to the city getting a CFL franchise.

I was trying to make my point towards him.....obviously, I would still support a Toronto bid.

Also............

TORONTO, ON -- Thursday, December 15, 2005 -- At a press conference in Toronto today, the President of Commonwealth Games Canada Claude Bennett announced that Halifax will be the Canadian bid for the 2014 Commonwealth Games. Halifax was chosen over three other Canadian communities from Hamilton, Ottawa and York Region.

The Canadian campaign to bid for the Games has been underway domestically since July and the cities have been finalizing their proposals in presentations that have been taking place in Toronto since Tuesday. The bids were rated across 14 catgories to determine their qualifications to host.

"There is no question that we have four world class bids" remarked Wayne Hellquist, Chair of the Bid Review Committee. He said that the decision was a difficult one, but the recommendation was unanimous across his committee.

Halifax must now compete at an international level against bids from Glasgow, Scotland and Abuja, Nigeria. The host of the 2014 games will be selected November 9, 2007 in Sri Lanka.

What's the point of that Halifax article? We all know they are Canada's candidate.

Look on the bright side; if the USOC choose Chicago, well that's virtually Canada anyway!

Have you been to Toronto or Chicago? IMO, you're right on, on your comment regarding both cities. I've been several times, and long enough on both cities to agree with your description.  :) :;):

I didn't say Toronto wasn't glamorous, I said that there were many other glamorous cities interested in applying for the 2016 Olympics.  The problem for Toronto will be that there will be four other major cities in the shortlist just as capable as Toronto but having not staged a Summer or Winter Olympics for a number of years if ever.
I could care less about those 4 other major cities. If Toronto bids again, then this time they have more bidding experience. Something the other cities don't have except Paris and you know what Toronto did with Paris the last time around. With that experience, their plans would keep on getting better and better. Screw the rest!
Huh?    What does Toronto's liberalism have to do with a US city's chances?  If u want 'liberal' hot zone, then we'll put up San Francisco, and Cindy Sheean will head the bid.

This has nothing do to with US city's chances, this has something to do with Anti-Americanism. (Please refer to Stu's reply) Since the election last month, there has been a division between rural and urban communities with regards to which political party is capable to run the government. Places like Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, and Hamilton (my hometown) either voted for Liberal or the left-wing New Democratic Party. The rural areas voted for the Conservatives. At that's how we got our liberalism.

OK, here is the thing with Toronto...it is not a signature city.  It is the largest city in Canada, its financial, industrial, commercial and manufacturing hub and the biggest part of the great Canadian mosaic of culture.  But it is not Canada's Paris, London or New York.  It is more like what Milan is to Italy or Sao Paulo is to Brazil.  It is known but not intimately.  So Toronto faces a huge disadvantage - despite two previous bids, the IOC still does not know Toronto.  It can only get 22 votes (and realistically, Toronto's best shot was for 1996 when the IOC had doubts about Athens).  They do know Canada.  But not Toronto.

Toronto is not on the jet set with the other big stars of global cities and many of these cities are the key competitors to Toronto (and please don't list another compilation of second-most this, and third-best that and tallest thingy with out a guy wire - that hardly makes anyone unique).  These competitor cities are many that IOC members will visit on their own for business and pleasure.  And since the IOC cannot travel during the bid phase, that spells trouble for Toronto.

But alas, there is hope.  Toronto needs a long term strategy that gets key people and IOC members into their city.

First off, they need to support Vancouver 2010.  These games are a major help to a future Toronto bid.  It will hurt in 2016, but beyond that, it helps because so many Toronto based companies are supporting the Vancouver Olympics, the IOC will see a city with an Olympic friendly corporate culture and may even have to visit Toronto for business.  And a successful Vancouver reflects positively on Toronto.  The IOC and the world do not see BC and Ontario.  They see Canada.

Second, Toronto needs to host more international championships.  That will put the leaders of international federations and IOC members in their city, touring their facilities, staying in their hotels, seeing their organizational skills and understanding what's what when they look at a future bid book.

Third, the IOC has a session every year.  On even numbered years, they are in the Olympic host city.  On the odd numbered years, they move around according to a different bid process.  Toronto needs to host one of these sessions.  Since the 2010 session is in Vancouver, the session for 2011 is probably too soon to go back to Canada, but the sessions for 2013 (deciding the XXXII Olympiad), 2015 (deciding the 2022 Winter Games) and 2017 (deciding the XXXIII Olympiad) are fair game.  And Toronto stands a good chance.  Since World War 2, only one of the non-Olympic year sessions has ever been awarded to a city in the Americas.  And that is next year's planned session in Guatemala City.  The city that hosts the Olympic host decision gets a lot of profile and all IOC members and international federations attend.  The 2013 and 2017 sessions are most critical because the right people will be in town.

Toronto can't win this off previous bids alone.  Paris tried that.  Remember that the IOC of 1990 is different than the IOC of 2001 and the IOC in 2009 will once again be different.  The membership changes.  So too do its whims and wishes.

If Toronto is the smart city it says it is, they will play it smart, work the crowd, warm them up, secure their confidence and win their vote.  Or it will charge through and lose a third time because of blind arrogance.  Sound familiar?

OK, here is the thing with Toronto...it is not a signature city.  It is the largest city in Canada, its financial, industrial, commercial and manufacturing hub and the biggest part of the great Canadian mosaic of culture.  But it is not Canada's Paris, London or New York.  It is more like what Milan is to Italy or Sao Paulo is to Brazil.  It is known but not intimately.  So Toronto faces a huge disadvantage - despite two previous bids, the IOC still does not know Toronto.  It can only get 22 votes (and realistically, Toronto's best shot was for 1996 when the IOC had doubts about Athens).  They do know Canada.  But not Toronto.

Toronto is not on the jet set with the other big stars of global cities and many of these cities are the key competitors to Toronto (and please don't list another compilation of second-most this, and third-best that and tallest thingy with out a guy wire - that hardly makes anyone unique).  These competitor cities are many that IOC members will visit on their own for business and pleasure.  And since the IOC cannot travel during the bid phase, that spells trouble for Toronto.

But alas, there is hope.  Toronto needs a long term strategy that gets key people and IOC members into their city.

First off, they need to support Vancouver 2010.  These games are a major help to a future Toronto bid.  It will hurt in 2016, but beyond that, it helps because so many Toronto based companies are supporting the Vancouver Olympics, the IOC will see a city with an Olympic friendly corporate culture and may even have to visit Toronto for business.  And a successful Vancouver reflects positively on Toronto.  The IOC and the world do not see BC and Ontario.  They see Canada.

Second, Toronto needs to host more international championships.  That will put the leaders of international federations and IOC members in their city, touring their facilities, staying in their hotels, seeing their organizational skills and understanding what's what when they look at a future bid book.

Third, the IOC has a session every year.  On even numbered years, they are in the Olympic host city.  On the odd numbered years, they move around according to a different bid process.  Toronto needs to host one of these sessions.  Since the 2010 session is in Vancouver, the session for 2011 is probably too soon to go back to Canada, but the sessions for 2013 (deciding the XXXII Olympiad), 2015 (deciding the 2022 Winter Games) and 2017 (deciding the XXXIII Olympiad) are fair game.  And Toronto stands a good chance.  Since World War 2, only one of the non-Olympic year sessions has ever been awarded to a city in the Americas.  And that is next year's planned session in Guatemala City.  The city that hosts the Olympic host decision gets a lot of profile and all IOC members and international federations attend.  The 2013 and 2017 sessions are most critical because the right people will be in town.

Toronto can't win this off previous bids alone.  Paris tried that.  Remember that the IOC of 1990 is different than the IOC of 2001 and the IOC in 2009 will once again be different.  The membership changes.  So too do its whims and wishes.

If Toronto is the smart city it says it is, they will play it smart, work the crowd, warm them up, secure their confidence and win their vote.  Or it will charge through and lose a third time because of blind arrogance.  Sound familiar?

I have to say that was a well thought out post you've written there. I do agree with you that Toronto needs to host some lower scale international events.

I think Toronto needs to wait and see how things unfold during 2006 and see if it is truly viable and worthwhile to bid for 2016. Let's say the USOC decides not to put forth a bid for 2016, Toronto would be stupid not to submit a bid and not capitalize on the absence of an American bid since it seems very likely the games will return to the Americas.

Melbourne has been hosting cahampionship after championship in everything, and now the Commonwealth Games. Even though there would be no chace at success, I can't help but wonder if we are ramping up for a bid for 2028, 2032 or 2036. Not sure why we've been hosting them over the last 3 or 4 years though, rather then waiting a bit, but that's OK.

Melbourne is kind of on par with Toronto in the world's eyes-a great city, but asort of out of the way and not really sparkling. Never mind that Melbourne is better then Sydney, just as Toronto is better then, say, Los Angeles, Melbourne will always be considered the second city in Australia. Whilst Toronto is the number one city in Canada, it'll always be considered the fourth or fifth city in north america. Fairly or not.

Toronto should prepare to run for 2020, and if an American city wins 2016, pull back on the bid and wait until 2028 at which time they should go hell-for-leather. Toronto 2028 is probably the most likely success, but you never know-Toronto 2016 might just work.

Melbourne, i'm afraid, will probably have to wait until 2036...or 2080 if Brissie or Perth gets it.

For Toronto's Expo 2015 bid: how far has it gone? Will the bid go ahead for real? Even though the BIE decision is at the end of 2007, these 2 years to decide will have its twists and turns. The last two times the city bid for the World's Fair came ever so close, but no cigar.

If Toronto fails to get this World's Fair, will it really want to bid for the 2016 Olympic Games? It would be a timeframe of about 1-1/2 years until the 2009 Copenhagen IOC Session after that BIE decision, but would the COC go for it? That so-called "York Region" bid for the 2014 Commonwealth Games didn't go so well because it seems to me that it wasn't a serious bid. Of course, with not a real central host city to speak of, it was doomed from the beginning. Also, the blunder about the stadium for the 2007 FIFA World Youth Championships didn't help the city at all. Imagine that: that FIFA bid for the forementioned championships was won on one of the factors that Toronto was going to have a new soccer stadium for it. Talk about falling through on your commitments!  :rolleyes:

Most of all, how about that group of people against the idea of Toronto bidding for a "16-day circus?" Remember them??  ???

For Toronto's Expo 2015 bid: how far has it gone? Will the bid go ahead for real? Even though the BIE decision is at the end of 2007, these 2 years to decide will have its twists and turns. The last two times the city bid for the World's Fair came ever so close, but no cigar.

If Toronto fails to get this World's Fair, will it really want to bid for the 2016 Olympic Games? It would be a timeframe of about 1-1/2 years until the 2009 Copenhagen IOC Session after that BIE decision, but would the COC go for it? That so-called "York Region" bid for the 2014 Commonwealth Games didn't go so well because it seems to me that it wasn't a serious bid. Of course, with not a real central host city to speak of, it was doomed from the beginning. Also, the blunder about the stadium for the 2007 FIFA World Youth Championships didn't help the city at all. Imagine that: that FIFA bid for the forementioned championships was won on one of the factors that Toronto was going to have a new soccer stadium for it. Talk about falling through on your commitments!  :rolleyes:

Most of all, how about that group of people against the idea of Toronto bidding for a "16-day circus?" Remember them??  ???

What blunder for the Soccer Stadium? Sure it went through some bumps, but it will be up intime for the Soccer Championships. They already got the footprint done, and the mild winter has been a real help as well.

What blunder for the Soccer Stadium? Sure it went through some bumps, but it will be up intime for the Soccer Championships. They already got the footprint done, and the mild winter has been a real help as well.

Hmmm... guess I was wrong big time here. Why did I read and remembered such news about Toronto's scenario this way? Man, what a dunce I have just become.  :verysad:

In any case, we almost forgot that Canada is going to host this 2007 FIFA tournament, did we? With Toronto (and, yes, it will host the final match after all), Montreal, Ottawa, Edmonton, Vancouver and Victoria will help host some matches, too.

Hmmm... guess I was wrong big time here. Why did I read and remembered such news about Toronto's scenario this way? Man, what a dunce I have just become.  :verysad:

In any case, we almost forgot that Canada is going to host this 2007 FIFA tournament, did we? With Toronto (and, yes, it will host the final match after all), Montreal, Ottawa, Edmonton, Vancouver and Victoria will help host some matches, too.

Actually, the stadium was supposed to be built on the University of Toronto campus but the university pulled out of the deal.

Currently the stadium is under construction at Exhibition Place in downtown Toronto.

060221_soccer_stadium_300.jpg

Thanks, dave199, for the information. I'm glad that Toronto is going to get some action for this tournament and it gains another venue in the process. At least, this is another step to the city's sporting ambitions.

Remember- London was awarded the 2012 olympics, after withdrawing their bid to host the 2005 World Athletics Championships, cancelling their plan to build a 43,000 stadium at Pickett's Lock and all the red-tape and blunder over the new Wembley stadium. Infact at present, the new Wembley stadium is still causing peple grief.

Toronto's situation doesn't sound that bad, in comparison.

Here's how you people need to think of this.

Yes, Toronto can wait till after the WF decision is made, but I letter of intent must be sent to the IOC a few months before the BIE makes its decision. If Toronto wins, or loses and is still not interested in an Olympic bid, the bids is easily withdrawn, no harm no foul.

If Toronto is interested in the Olympics, 2016 will be no harder than any other time the city has bid. And realistically, whether or not Toronto bids for 2016, it won't bid again for some time after that (the 2028 range) because the Games are almost certainly coming back to North America. So there is no harm in bidding for 2016.

Further, since it is geopolitically NA's turn to host, it is essentially a match between the USA and Canada. And yes, there is a good chance that things will be stacked in the USA's favour. On the other hand, any weakness in the American bid could deliver the Olympics to Toronto. And this is why Toronto should bid. We have been seeing continued weakness from the US since NYC lost. If, say, San Diego is selected as the US host city, Toronto's chance of winning becomes much better. But, if NYC or Chicago are selected, I'm willing to admit that the chances are much lower (though it is entirely possible that any American bid can drop the ball).

That Canada is unable to afford two Olympics so close is a fallacy. Canada is the only G8 country that has been running consistent government surplusses since 1997. I find it absurd that people are making this argument while in the same breath saying that the USA is too strong for 2016. Last I checked, the US federal government is borrowing half a trillion dollars a year. The US can ill afford an Olympic Games....

That Toronto isn't a surefire win is not a good argument against Toronto bidding. Toronto is technically and financially ready to host, and that is all that really matters. Let the IOC decide what it is and is not willing to do.

Further, since it is geopolitically NA's turn to host, it is essentially a match between the USA and Canada. And yes, there is a good chance that things will be stacked in the USA's favour. On the other hand, any weakness in the American bid could deliver the Olympics to Toronto.

I'm not going to spread a sense of Anti-American in this thread. But I think the U.S. is going the wrong direction with regards to the War on terrorism and the unilateralism coming from the US. I think that an olympics in the US would create bitter attitudes from other countries (I'm not going to mention them). An event that is on the world stage would mean they are a target for more terrorist attacks even though security would be very tight. But I'm not going question their capabilities to protect athletes and spectators. As long as the IOC still has the Atlanta bombings in their own minds, there's no surprise that the IOC might choose another country to host!

Further, since it is geopolitically NA's turn to host, it is essentially a match between the USA and Canada. And yes, there is a good chance that things will be stacked in the USA's favour. On the other hand, any weakness in the American bid could deliver the Olympics to Toronto.

I'm not going to spread a sense of Anti-American in this thread. But I think the U.S. is going the wrong direction with regards to the War on terrorism and the unilateralism coming from the US. I think that an olympics in the US would create bitter attitudes from other countries (I'm not going to mention them). An event that is on the world stage would mean they are a target for more terrorist attacks even though security would be very tight. But I'm not going question their capabilities to protect athletes and spectators. As long as the IOC still has the Atlanta bombings in their own minds, there's no surprise that the IOC might choose another country to host!

U know what?  The IOC needs the US more than the US needs an Olympics.  Enuf said.

U know what?  The IOC needs the US more than the US needs an Olympics.  Enuf said.

I refuse to give compliments on that remark. I can't believe that the IOC would go this low just to beg the the US to come back the Olympics due to the fact that New York lost the bid. Of course the IOC and USOC members want the athletes to come back. But it's the shady dealing and corruption that the IOC doesn't want! Something that the IOC should have a stiff upper lip for!

I refuse to give compliments on that remark. I can't believe that the IOC would go this low just to beg the the US to come back the Olympics due to the fact that New York lost the bid. Of course the IOC and USOC members want the athletes to come back. But it's the shady dealing and corruption that the IOC doesn't want! Something that the IOC should have a stiff upper lip for!

R u sure you're not zeneca?  U sure r sounding like him.  

BTW, where is that everything-must-be-solvent, law-&-order guy?  He just vanished.

If this statement was ever made to the IOC by a member of the 2016 U.S. bid team. The members of the IOC would tell them to go fvck off and vote for another candidate. If this is the type of attitude that Americans have in place about hosting the Olympics, not saying everyone has this view, then the IOC has more reason to ignore coming back to the USA.

I am just curious about something.  Why is it that some (not all) Canadians think that they should have more Olympics than say many of the European countries?  There is a big difference between the U.S. and Canada both from an economic standpoint for the IOC as well as population. Canada is on par with say Italy or Germany or Britain or Australia in those areas.  Yet those countries haven't had 3 games within 34 years as Canada has, nor have they even come close to having 4 in 40 years which is what some are proposing in this forum for 2016. Granted Italy had back to back games in '56 and '60 but that was 46-50 years ago and they hadn't hosted anything prior to that.  .

As long as the IOC still has the Atlanta bombings in their own minds, there's no surprise that the IOC might choose another country to host!

Using that logic, the IOC may also has the Montreal financial fiasco in their minds, so there should be no surprise that the IOC might not allow Canada to host another SOG!

Saying that the IOC needs the US more than the US needs the IOC is really counterproductive for the US in my opinion and also not completely true.  With television revenue inevitably rising across the whole world soon the US contribution will be dwarfed by that of countries with larger populations and/or wealthier populations.  

Corporate sponsorship of the Olympics is already more international and this trend will undoubtedly continue, there are many companies throughout Asia and Europe capable of the large payments made by US multinationals.  Also multinationals by their very nature are not restricted by international boarders, Coca-Cola and McDonalds will no more benefit from a New York Olympics than they would a Beijing or London Olympics - their market is worldwide, the US market probably doesn't even provide them with the majority of their profits.  Both these companies sponsor many events around the world, some of which have no other American involvement, why would they be too concerned about where the Olympics is going to be held (apart from maybe a patriotic sentiment).  So by saying that they basically "own" the IOC will be tantermount to ensuring very few US cities being successful in the future.  "Biting the hand that feeds you" is a phrase that could be used against the US as well as in support of them.

The IOC is an international body of people (only 3 US members) they won't accept an arrogant approach from the US any more than they would accept it from France.  The US needs to repair relations with the IOC, not make them worse, if they truly want to host the 2016 Games - the IOC can easily continually tell the US to try again and again.

I believe it is very likely that anti-Americanism will subside a little by 2009, mainly due to the political retirement of George Bush - I'm sure most countries will be relieved to see the back of him as well as many in the US.  Their are other factors that contribute to the relatively low opinion of the US around the world such as Guantanamo and the Kyoto protocol but these may also be dealt with by the successor of Bush.  The US may actually benefit from an enthusiastic boom in popularity if they elect a popular and well respected figure such as Hillary Clinton  - this could really aid Olympic prospects in the US - although I'm sure that the Olympics is at the end of a long list of priorities for most Americans!  

It's really easy to always blame America for everything (I do it myself from time to time), they are the most high profile country so everyone notices their mistakes but sometimes this criticism can go too far.  Unlike Expect the World I hope the foreign policy decisions of the previous US administration play no role during the 2016 Olympics campaign or in Copenhagen in 2009.

Archived