Pescara 2009 - Xvi Mediterranean Games

Yesteday were 50 days left to the opening ceremony of the Games.

Draws for team sports done.

Mediterranean Village and Stadio Adriatico almost completed.

It will be the edition with more athletes so far: expected 4155.

Total people: more than 6300.

28 sports.

23 nations.

The whole Abruzzo region will be involved. A special Mediterranean torch will start from L'Aquila, recently affected by a huge hearthquake, and will finish its run in Pescara, touching the hearthquaked villages. Jacques Rogge will be at the opening ceremony on 26 june 2009; he'll also reward L'Aquila Rugby team for its contribution and help during the post-hearthquake days. Joseph Blatter will be at the ceremony too. Godmother of the openings will be famous italian actress Gina Lollobrigida.

To express friendliness to the Aquilans, italian football team will play in L'Aquila stadium the whole group phase (with Syria and Greece).

The mascot of the Games its A uà, a marsican bear, symbol of the region Abruzzo.

mascotte_trasp.gif

VillaggioMediterraneo04.jpgVillaggioMediterraneo05.jpg

The mascot of the Games its A uà, a marsican bear, symbol of the region Abruzzo.

mascotte_trasp.gif

Simpatico. :D

Anyway less than 50 days.. it's getting close eh? Do you have any pic of the renewed Stadio Adriatico?

P.S. Scusa Cesco non è che potresti ridurre le dimensioni della tua signature? Il thread se no va a singhiozzo.. ;)

• 1 month later...

^^

They should open ticketing sales in their website this week. Check out http://www.pescara2009.it/ these days.

From the site: "Toutes les compétitions seront gratuites, à l’exception des finales de natation et des Jeux par équipe, les compétitions payantes, de toute façon, auront un coût bien abordable. Le prix de la Cérémonie d’Ouverture a également été fixé, et il varie de 15 à 60 eurso selon les secteurs du Stadio Adriatico."

=Free cost competitions except for swimming finals and team sports finals. OC tickets from 15 to 60€.

I hope the site will give more information about participants etc. soon. Not very usefull untill now.

Here is the link to the French delegation sport by sport : http://pescara.franceolympique.com/pescara/art/7/887.shtml

Very nice and simple.

The Italian Hymn is beautiful as always. That sea part reminded me of Barcelona '92 and more specifically Rio 2007. Loved the OST. I got interested in that water ceremony part. It's like a torch relay, right? I'd like to know about starting point, origins where does that water come from.

Thanks, memorabilia.

BTW, I live at 001, Pescara Building. Feeling like this games are in my hometown. :lol:

Very nice and simple.

The Italian Hymn is beautiful as always. That sea part reminded me of Barcelona '92 and more specifically Rio 2007. Loved the OST. I got interested in that water ceremony part. It's like a torch relay, right? I'd like to know about starting point, origins where does that water come from.

Thanks, memorabilia.

BTW, I live at 001, Pescara Building. Feeling like this games are in my hometown. :lol:

Yes, This water ceremony is as symbolic as the Torch Relay.

This time water come from "Acquila" the city where there has been an earthquake a few monthes ago in Italy.

Here is the journey :

phoca_thumb_l_litinerario%20del%20viaggio%20dellacqua%20del%2025%20giugno.jpg

well, to be more precise....

THE WATER CEREMONY is a classical part of the opening ceremony of the Mediterranean Games, where every Nation brings its own mediterranean water. then the "waters" are joined together in one big basin to symbolize unity and peace in the mediterreanean.

THE WATER PATH is totally NEW. The organizers conceived it after the earthquake. they thought the italian water for the water ceremony could have been the water from L'Aquila's "99 cannelle" fountain, to link the event with the terrible earthquake of course, as a sort of reinassance moment. the water was taken by the mum of the first baby born after he earthquake indeed. the water relay with the "idroforos" (water bearers) is a new concept the International Committee is said wants to make official.

the idroforos relays are in the Mediterranean Games since Barcelona 1955. the water in an amphora travels from the greek site of Ampurias to Barcelona (100 km).

the idea was of a journalist (Carlos Pardo)

i don't think this is a official part of the ceremony. or i never read about it.

i mean, maybe that was a spot case as in pescara?

Archived