Impeach Ueberroth!

Per today's latest GB story:

USOC president Ueberroth cautions US Cities to slow down

and he says: NO LOGOS!!! :angry:  WHat is he talking about? Is he MAD?  We don't care about the venues and the sponsors, etc.  WE JUST WANT OUR LOGO'S!!

Impeach Ueberroth!!  Throw him out of the OLympic movement! What does he know!!  It's ALL ABOUT Logos!!  Vent your anger here!!  :angry:

Oh, he or the reporter was joking.  It said "2016 WINTER Olympic Games.  We all -- even the banished GB'ders -- KNOW that 2016 is NOT a WINTER year.  Duh!!

Whewww!  I thought PU was serious.  

So, LA, SF, Chic, NYC, Philly, DC, yeah, even you San Dieg and Tampa, go for it.  Bring on the LOGOs!!   :wwww:

The GamesBids article left out Ueberroth's statement that the USOC has vowed to get softball back in the games:

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado, Oct 10 (AFP) - US Olympic Committee officials will fight to have softball reinstated to the Olympics and women's ski jumping added by 2010, but will not push for baseball's return to the Games lineup.

Softball's ouster from the Olympic sport offerings came on a 52-52 vote of the International Olympic Committee and USOC President Peter Ueberroth wants the US-dominated game to have another chance at finding enough support to stay.

``The USOC is dedicated to seeing that softball does not miss its turn in  2012. We're starting the campaign to get that 52-52 vote overturned at Turin,'' he said here Monday.

``We don't want to be arrogant and tell anything to the IOC. But it was a  52-52 vote. We hope in a humble way to have them reconsider the decision to eliminate a women's sport.''

Stressing the need to keep a women's sport to better balance the number of male and female Olympians, Ueberroth said size limits for the Summer Games can be kept by trimming some sports, not axing altogether.

``We're going to fight hard for this re-inclusion,'' he said. ``There are ways to cut without eliminating sports. We think this is a mistake and we would like to revisit it.''

He was just as emphatic about not trying to restore baseball. Major League Baseball has never shut down so stars can play in the Olympics and is starting its own Olympic-style tournament next March.

``There's some (baseball) reorganizing that needs to be done internationally and domestically,'' Ueberroth said. ``Softball is ready and should be in the Games in 2012.''

Before that, Ueberroth wants women's ski jumping to be installed at the  2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics. It would require assembling at least a year of global competition.

``We think it's achievable to get competition in 2009, maybe even 2007, and get Olympic competition in 2010,'' he said.

AFP

As to his 2016 bidding statements _ I just wonder how much of it just him playing politics and trying to discourage the no-hopers like Minneapolis-St paul and San Diego from stumping up.

ALso, I just realized that 2016 would be 11 years down the road.  So which administration would be in power then?  But:

1.  THe US Gov't has always stepped in anyway to cover security costs.  ANd

2.  In the last few Olympic Games, they have NEVER denied a visa to any participant -- except of course from the troublemaker countries who can be tailed 24/7 if need be.  So I don't know why Ueberroth and the IOC should really care.  I mean we expel foreign delegates to the UN if they misbehave - why should the IOC be an exception?  

3.  The IOC and the various local US organizing committees have never been left holding the bag -- so what's the worry?  If anything, he is the first who should know that it CAN be done w/o federal subsidies.  He's just getting old; that's all.

What is going on with the USOC?  Will they bid for 2016 or not?  At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the USOC decides against a 2016 bid.  Regardless of what happens, I think it's clear the USOC doesn't want another debacle like the one with New York.  The whole situation with the stadium was an embarrassment.  I still think the USOC goes ahead with a bid for 2016.  Right now, I think they are trying to make it clear they want it done right.

What is going on with the USOC?  Will they bid for 2016 or not?  At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the USOC decides against a 2016 bid.  Regardless of what happens, I think it's clear the USOC doesn't want another debacle like the one with New York.  The whole situation with the stadium was an embarrassment.  I still think the USOC goes ahead with a bid for 2016.  Right now, I think they are trying to make it clear they want it done right.

uhmmm...yeah. Obviously.   :rolleyes:

So, baron, do you think the USA DOESN'T need the IOC anymore?

No, it's NOT that the USA doesn't need the IOC.  It's what Mr. Ueberroth said:  the IOC has much more to gain by sending a Games to the US.  There are all those lost revenues.

My take is: the US does things differently, and it has SHOWN that it can work within that US framework.  The IOC is still an "autocratic" antedeluvian organization that leans to passing-the-buck mentality to the 'sucker' government hosting the Games.  Ahem...look at Athens...

Hopefully, with each passing year, the IOC membership will be replaced by more progressive, more marketing-minded members rather than these useless autocrats and aristocrats who only care about which 4-star hotel they will be billeted in, and who will cater the banquets.

and who will cater the banquets.

But those banquets are so sumptuous!

I agree there needs to be more marketing, but it's kind of a roundabout thing. You need to market but in order to market you need to have interest, but in order to have interest you need to market. That's why I'm satisfied with Rogge & co. for the time being, but within the next decade they better jumpstart on the actual marketing and stop investing in interest.

So, baron, do you think the USA DOESN'T need the IOC anymore?

No, it's NOT that the USA doesn't need the IOC.  It's what Mr. Ueberroth said:  the IOC has much more to gain by sending a Games to the US.  There are all those lost revenues.

My take is: the US does things differently, and it has SHOWN that it can work within that US framework.  The IOC is still an "autocratic" antedeluvian organization that leans to passing-the-buck mentality to the 'sucker' government hosting the Games.  Ahem...look at Athens...

Hopefully, with each passing year, the IOC membership will be replaced by more progressive, more marketing-minded members rather than these useless autocrats and aristocrats who only care about which 4-star hotel they will be billeted in, and who will cater the banquets.

Like, get more people like those Olympic athletes of the past who actually went through a lot to get into the Games to just participate to become IOC members.

Archived