stade de france can't showcase athletics

Does anybody else feel depressed that if Paris were to win the olympics we would have to watch most of the action fron the stade de france.  For those who watched the world athletic championships in 2003 will realise the lack of atmosphere it created added and all the technical problems the organisors faced.  It didn't run smoothly and the officials from around the globe were disappointed with the press boxes and facilities for them.  Surely by 2012 the stade de france won't provide the excitement and appeal for the olympic games as it already fails to be impressive today.  Surely, with a passion London/UK public wholeheartedly supporting the athletes in a shiny, new purpose built stadium that screams THE OLYMPICS would prove a wiser choice.  I think this decision by Paris will underwhelm IOC members who want a games that captures the world attention in a positive manner.  Do you think this could prove a fatal mistake in Paris' bid?  Seven years from now it will no longer inspire the athletes or fans to produce a memorable olympics.  Please  discuss, this is just my personal opinion.  Thanks

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Considering that the vast majority of people will see the competitions and ceremonies of the 2012 Games (no matter where they are) from the comfort of their living room, it may not be that big of a deal.  And the Olympics are the Olympics.  I don't imagine any athlete or spectator will put aside thoughts of "Oh my god, I'm going to the Olympic Games!" with "Oh crap, I'm going to the Stade de France, better wait until 2016."

Does anybody else feel depressed that if Paris were to win the olympics we would have to watch most of the action fron the stade de france.  For those who watched the world athletic championships in 2003 will realise the lack of atmosphere it created added and all the technical problems the organisors faced.  It didn't run smoothly and the officials from around the globe were disappointed with the press boxes and facilities for them.  Surely by 2012 the stade de france won't provide the excitement and appeal for the olympic games as it already fails to be impressive today.  Surely, with a passion London/UK public wholeheartedly supporting the athletes in a shiny, new purpose built stadium that screams THE OLYMPICS would prove a wiser choice.  I think this decision by Paris will underwhelm IOC members who want a games that captures the world attention in a positive manner.  Do you think this could prove a fatal mistake in Paris' bid?  Seven years from now it will no longer inspire the athletes or fans to produce a memorable olympics.  Please  discuss, this is just my personal opinion.  Thanks

NOT YET AGAIN!!! WE HAD IT ALL BEFORE:

READ THIS: Rudeness in Paris

I agree with Goethe, I would rather not post than go over stuff that has already been discussed to death. I feel like I am reading(and sometimes posting by accident), the same old topics over and over and over again. Enough!

For the record, Easysurfer does have a point. I don't get Kendegra's viewpoint that because it is mainly a TV event that the stadium atmosphere does not really matter.

I was excited about going to the Commonwealth Games in Manchester but it would have been half the experience if it had not had such an amazing atmosphere generated in the stadium by the crowd.

Sorry, I didn't even mean to start discussing this all over again.

If Paris wins, "i have it in my a$$" will be a bigger issue for you easysurfer, compared to your opinion about Stade de France I think.

???   :glare:  ???  I don't understand your reply but i can infer it was in disagreement to my post.  Anyhow i think it is a reasonable point to make about the stade de france.  I just don't think it will enhance the olympics.

le Stade de France is actually the best athletics venue in the world, its a favourite amongst athletes because of the fast track and good layout of the field.

Now that is definitely a load of rubbish. You don't ever get athletes raving about it. Anyone got a quote?

The SdeF is drab (as I have said before!) and it always will be. But if drab is what the IOC want then drab is what the IOC will get.

So, it's an imperfect stadium.  The IOC and the athletes will deal with it.  It's only T&F anyway.  Maybe they'll tear it down for the next bid???

Kend's right; it doesn't matter for the rest of the world because they'll be watching it on TV.  

Let's move past this subject.

Surely a big part of the TV viewing experience is being wowed by the arenas and venues? Especially now that the Chinese 'birdnest' stadium is going to raise the bar even further. Look at how exciting seeing all those new stadiums were at Athens 2004, the European Football championships in Portugal also in 2004, and the upcoming Football world cup in Germany in 2006. Big sporting events need new exciting stadia...It just adds to the experience! :cool:

So, it's an imperfect stadium.  The IOC and the athletes will deal with it.  It's only T&F anyway.  Maybe they'll tear it down for the next bid???

Kend's right; it doesn't matter for the rest of the world because they'll be watching it on TV.  

Surely a big part of the TV viewing experience is being wowed by the arenas and venues? Especially now that the Chinese 'birdnest' stadium is going to raise the bar even further. Look at how exciting seeing all those new stadiums were at Athens 2004, the European Football championships in Portugal also in 2004, and the upcoming Football world cup in Germany in 2006. Big sporting events need new exciting stadia...It just adds to the experience! :cool:

Exactly Daffyd, if we took the view that it doesn't matter because it will not be picked up on TV, then where would we draw the line? Don't bother about fans comfort because it wont be picked up on TV, or Don't bother with efficient transport to and from events because the TV audeince is much bigger and they wont see a thing as long as the stadium is full.

The Olympics has become such a huge prize to win ,that EVERY aspect of your bid is under scrutiny and I can think of many areas that I would not regard as that important, but stadium atmosphere is key to the success of the games. We had it in Sydney and that came across on TV aswell. The whole games had that buzz about it and lead in part to Sydneys recognition as a very memorable games.

The French have a flare for hosting large events....just about everybody recognises that.  I think it looks like a toilet seat, but at least its not a white elephant....and there are other large projects in the paris bid that can and almost certainly will be iconic symbols for the 2012 Games....I'm not sure how important an issue this will be for the IOC because they don't tend to have a final stadium design to look at when they vote. They vote for a concept, rather than for architectural quality.

The Stade de France is a very simple design and as such it won't date as much as people think it will, but it won't inspire like Athens 2004 stadium did or like Beijing will....

The 2004 Stadium became a symbol of the Athens Games for all the wrong reasons because it symbolised the chaotic, last minute preparations as much as it did architectural excellence.

Of course it matters and very much so . We don't want to see Wimbledon taking place in Tesco's car park or a great opera in a jailhouse excercise yard .

Grand events need grand settings and The Stade De France aint it .

Kev and surferdude are obviously London supporters who feel threatened.   :D

I don't even know what London's main venue plan is. Would someone enlighten me again? Do they have a good one already like Stade de France?

I don't even know what London's main venue plan is. Would someone enlighten me again? Do they have a good one already like Stade de France?

To be fair most cities don't have the main Stadium in place when they bid....Paris is unusual in this respect. I don't think it will be a positive or nagative impact upon the paris bid.

As I said i think the IOC are more interested in the "concept" of the Games at this stage, rather than detailed Stadium designs.

I don't know if the images have come up so i posted this link.  It show's the designs of London's fantastic olympic stadium and it was voted by far the best design on a skyscrapercity.com poll.  Just imagine how exciting this stadium would be if London hosted the games.olympic stadiums

I don't know if the images have come up so i posted this link.  It show's the designs of London's fantastic olympic stadium and it was voted by far the best design on a skyscrapercity.com poll.  Just imagine how exciting this stadium would be if London hosted the games.olympic stadiums

The London design is a concept design....nothing more, nothing less. It shows the scale of the Stadium and its context and siting in relation to the otherfacilities....thats all. Beijing produced a stadium deisgn in its bid that bares no resemblance to the Nest. If London wins an architect will be chosen to design a new stadium....so I wouldn't get too carried away with this concept. It will show the IOC that London has imagination and intends to create a high quality, iconic environment for the Games...but they will be aware that the status of these designs is nil and that they should not give these indicative designs any weight in making their decsion.

I think we've already discussed this issue to death. And I've already said, if Paris wins I'm not actually worried about the aesthetics of the stadium as it's nothing a lick of paint and a few banners and things wouldn't improve. I'm not sure who to belive when it comes to the athletes' and spectators' experience.

I'm sure the Stade de France would be more than adequate, but, as with so many other aspects, when compared to London's plans (and, granted, most of them are only plans at this stage) they are not as spectacular.

No- London dosen't have an existing athletics stadium (Crystal Palace has too small capacity), they will have to build one from scratch, like Atlanta, Sydney and Beijing.

That's also why the legacy from a london olympics, would be far greater compared to the legacy that Paris 2012 would leave behind.

No- London dosen't have an existing athletics stadium (Crystal Palace has too small capacity), they will have to build one from scratch, like Atlanta, Sydney and Beijing.

That's also why the legacy from a london olympics, would be far greater compared to the legacy that Paris 2012 would leave behind.

Well said and I've raised that very point in the London forum . They intend to transform London's olympic stadium into a better dedicated atheletics stadium and it will be indeed be another important aspect of the London legacy .

This is pathatic, Le Stade de France is a very good stadium as is, and remember when Paris gets the Olympics, upgrades are going to be made to the Stade to make it even better. There was nothing wrong with the last world championships there, just minor problems similar to ones experienced at a lot of major sporting events. And out of the five cities biding, Le Stade is the only stadium to regularly host athletics, as Le Stade plays host to the golden league once a year.

Just so you know, most of the fastest times of the year and world records are done on Le Stade's track, including the last men's 100m world record a couple of years ago.

Plus only the really big into the Olympics care about the stadiums used, the average person watching isn't looking at the venues, there looking at the athletes were the attention should lay.

Give up this crusade against Paris, deal with the fact that they are the favourite and are probably going to win.

Archived