Ioc Visit To Rio!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

President Obama, a Flamengo supporter, como to Rio yesterday to join the team in the title's party. He also declared support to Rio bid.

imagemdul.jpg

Chicago:- very good presentation but unceratinties exist. I think they relied a bit too heavily on personalities and sort of shooed away IOC concernsabout a few things.

I assume you were present at every meeting during the EC's visit to make such a sweeping claim.

Rio Stresses the Positives and the Personal

RIO DE JANEIRO — Brazil made an original and emotional appeal over the weekend for this city to be the first in South America to host an Olympics Games.

Officials from the International Olympic Committee’s evaluation commission raced the mayor of Rio in a sprint, dribbled a soccer ball with Pelé and toured the spectacular beach areas and lakes that Rio says it will showcase to the world if it were to win the bid for the 2016 Games.

Questions about crime and transportation had been considered the main concerns with Rio’s $14.4 billion bid. But Nawal el-Moutawakel, an I.O.C. member from Morocco who is the chairwoman of the evaluation commission, said Saturday that she saw no weakness in the bid.

“Everything we have seen so far is positive,” she said.

The inspectors left saying they were impressed by the commitment of political leaders at all levels to back the bid — including Brazil’s president, Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva. They said that Rio’s hosting of the 2014 World Cup was a “good test event” and a potential advantage over three other cities vying for the 2016 Games: Chicago, Madrid and Tokyo.

The seven-day visit was the third for the 13-member evaluation commission, which headed to Madrid on Sunday for the final inspection before the I.O.C. makes its decision, which is scheduled to be announced Oct. 2.

As the I.O.C. determines which city will be the most suitable along technical lines, the Rio organizers are promoting the city’s youth, energy and diversity. They say their bid is the only one capable of taking the Olympic tradition in a new direction.

Rio 2016 organizers seized on the idea of the city’s being the first on the continent to host the Games. South America is a rapidly growing continent of nearly 400 million people, and Brazil has been among the fastest-growing major economies in the world over the past half-decade.

Da Silva compared an Olympics in Rio to the Cuban revolutionary Che Guevara’s tour of South America, depicted in the movie “The Motorcycle Diaries.”

“Imagine how many Latin Americans would come here by bicycle, on foot, by riverboat, by bus, by plane, in ways you cannot imagine,” he later told reporters.

In Chicago, area natives like Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton and President Obama, and even Michael Jordan, showed the I.O.C. inspectors their support through videotaped messages. Brazilian officials showed up in Rio in force last week to make personal pledges to the evaluation commission members. Da Silva was joined by his chief of staff, the president of the central bank and a handful of ministers.

Da Silva guaranteed that Brazil would provide financial guarantees for the bid, an important pledge considering that the country is starting to feel the effects of the global economic downturn through production slowdowns and unemployment. Still, organizers said they planned to keep average ticket prices for events at $36.

Beyond the emotion, Rio’s chances are strong because it hosted the Pan-American Games just two years ago. Da Silva said that between the facilities built for the Pan-American Games and the planned investments for the World Cup, the city would be more than 75 percent prepared for the Olympics.

Organizers see the Games as potentially transformative. “We are going to use the power of an Olympic and Paralympic Games to transform a city, a country and a continent,” said Carlos Osório, the secretary general of the Brazilian Olympic bid committee.

Moutawakel said the I.O.C. members “were impressed by how the Games fit perfectly in Brazil’s long-term planning and support for the development of the country.”

She added, “There is a vision between now and many years yet to come, and these Olympic Games come right in the middle of that global vision.”

The inspectors said they were satisfied with the Rio 2016 organizers’ plans to improve traffic flow and to provide enough lodging space. Rio organizers promised at least 49,000 rooms in a combination of hotels, anchored cruise ships and new media housing center.

Security remains a paramount concern. The I.O.C. team spent several hours Saturday discussing security with Brazilian officials. Because of time restrictions, they did not make planned visits to favelas, or shantytowns, that ring the city and where drug violence is widespread. Rio is plagued by one of the highest murder rates in the world. The police negotiated temporary cease-fires with drug traffickers to contain violence during the Pan-American Games.

“We have been given reassurance that all that can be done will be done to make Rio a safe city to organize the Games,” Moutawakel said.

Rio organizers plan to construct a one-million-square-meter park for extreme and adventure sports, and have committed to building an Olympic Training Center for 22 sports, regardless of whether Rio receives the 2016 bid.

On Friday, the inspectors toured Rio’s aquatic center and soccer stadium, and rode on Rio’s metro. Moutawakel, who won a gold medal in the 400-meter hurdles at the 1984 Games in Los Angeles, raced Mayor Eduardo Paes of Rio in a photo-finish sprint. She later put some soccer moves on Pelé at Rio’s famed Maracaña Stadium, the site of the 1950 World Cup final.

“They were like kids in Maracaña,” Pelé later told reporters.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/04/sports/o...1&ref=world

Brazil:- Just behind Tokyo....Monumentally breathtaking backdrop for the games. I think it should have pitched the environmental factor more though. Nonetheless, I was absolutely blown away by the Brazilian spirit and determination. Can you image what an Opening Ceromony would be like in Rio?

It's the medal presentations that concern me more if this is anything to go by:

Ronaldo's Corinthians completed an aggregate victory over Santos to win the Paulista championship on Sunday but their celebrations were nearly ruined when the podium caught fire during the trophy ceremony.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QkUrDEyLb4

lance9.jpg

:blink:

It's the medal presentations that concern me more if this is anything to go by:

Ronaldo's Corinthians completed an aggregate victory over Santos to win the Paulista championship on Sunday but their celebrations were nearly ruined when the podium caught fire during the trophy ceremony.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QkUrDEyLb4

lance9.jpg

It didnt ruined it, those papers strings caught on fire but they are out in like 3-5 secs, the player was concerned more about the trophy than his own life, nothing happened the fire vanished suddenly.. LOL I hate Corinthians but i was cheering for ronaldo, hes the man!

The EC period is coming to its end. I don't think we are going to see in Madrid anything different from what we saw during the visits to Chicago, Tokyo and Rio.

Rio was, until now, the breathtaking bidding city and, diferently of what many people said could happen, Rio committee showed it plans based on strong political and ecomomic terms, due to an organized action of the three levels of Government and popular suport.

I am not underestimating Madrid's presentation to the EC. But even if Spain´s entire air force crossed Madrid's skies, there would be no suprise effect. The same can be said about landscapes with light effects and all tose things Rio presented. Everything has its time.

This round of evalluation has a winner, Rio.

What's wrong with the fire in São Paulo Football Championship's cup?

I think it's a great idea to light the medals with the olympic flame during the medal ceremonies. This way, the athletes will have an intimate contact with the olympic symbols and exclusive 3rd degree burns by the sacred flame!!! :rolleyes:

This have nothing to do with Rio, because occurred in another city.

But it's funny! The trophy almost turned in a olympic torch!!!

The EC period is coming to its end. I don't think we are going to see in Madrid anything different from what we saw during the visits to Chicago, Tokyo and Rio.

Rio was, until now, the breathtaking bidding city and, diferently of what many people said could happen, Rio committee showed it plans based on strong political and ecomomic terms, due to an organized action of the three levels of Government and popular suport.

I am not underestimating Madrid's presentation to the EC. But even if Spain´s entire air force crossed Madrid's skies, there would be no suprise effect. The same can be said about landscapes with light effects and all tose things Rio presented. Everything has its time.

This round of evalluation has a winner, Rio.

Co-ordination between the three levels of government I believe is a must more than a plus. Madrid and Tokyo have both very strong government support, especially regarding finance. That's something the IOC expects, not looks forward to.

About flashing lights and stylish presentations, each of the four cities has it's own assets and surprises which they will show at their due moment. Not necessarily during the EC visit, but rather at the IOC voting session which is when members really make their minds up.

Co-ordination between the three levels of government I believe is a must more than a plus. Madrid and Tokyo have both very strong government support, especially regarding finance. That's something the IOC expects, not looks forward to.

About flashing lights and stylish presentations, each of the four cities has it's own assets and surprises which they will show at their due moment. Not necessarily during the EC visit, but rather at the IOC voting session which is when members really make their minds up.

I agree. But the way this co-ordination was shown by Brazilian authorities, includind the strong guarantees of financial support - only Tokyo did the same in this point - was more than a plus. Of course the IOC will not take the risk of giving a city the OG without financial support. What I mean is that Rio went far beyound any expectation until now during the EC visits; that the EC visit hapened is such a way that, yes, Rio really did the difference at this stage of its bid; that the EC can not give the OG to a city but can help IOC voting members to choose which city deserves to host the Games and it is important to impress them. And they were "very impressed" by Rio's bid and this wil help them to make their minds up when the voting session begins.

i have to say that for me it's RIO all the way - will be just a stunning games. they have excelled themselves during the evaluation visit - such stunning pics and the IOC seem to be having a ball!

however - we all know that the evaluation will have little to do with the final vote. that said Rio won't have done themselves any harm in their quest to bring the games to South America.

go RIO!

I agree. But the way this co-ordination was shown by Brazilian authorities, includind the strong guarantees of financial support - only Tokyo did the same in this point - was more than a plus. Of course the IOC will not take the risk of giving a city the OG without financial support. What I mean is that Rio went far beyound any expectation until now during the EC visits; that the EC visit hapened is such a way that, yes, Rio really did the difference at this stage of its bid; that the EC can not give the OG to a city but can help IOC voting members to choose which city deserves to host the Games and it is important to impress them. And they were "very impressed" by Rio's bid and this wil help them to make their minds up when the voting session begins.

Madrid has backing up of the state of all the investment since January. And so will Chicago: it's a requirement by the IOC.

From past experiences, IOC visits always end up with the same comments. They're all fantastic. You will get nothing out of them until the report comes out. Rio's chances come through beating Chicago technically, and then they'll have gone half of the way. However, if Rio fails to achieve a high grade in the technical report, it will not get the games. The IOC wants Brazil to have the games, the question is if they can live up to the committee's expectations.

In any case, as I've already mention, the battle between both cities is going to be fierce. And only one of them will make it to the final round, not two.

The IOC wants Brazil to have the games, the question is if they can live up to the committee's expectations.

Yeah...in its own good time. Not too soon after the World Cup in 2014. It doesn't want their Games to be a dessert to the World Cup's main course. Besides, Chicago is kinda 'owed' a Games. 1904 was theirs -- until Teddy Roosevelt intervened.

In Rio the party were organized and much better

TorcidaFlamengo1a.jpg

ToricdaFlamengo1c.jpg

TorcidaFla1aw.jpg

Is not about Rio 2016, but Flamengo supporters are fantastic...

Bengals in an Olympic Stadium? The only fire the IOC wants to see there is the Olympic Torch, i think.

Fantastic pics!

But even the Brazil world cup won't be like that, nevermind the Olympics. The stadiums will have to be all seater with enough distance between the pitch and the stand for cameras, pitch side adverts etc. As for flares etc., that's a real no-go.

Fantastic pics!

But even the Brazil world cup won't be like that, nevermind the Olympics. The stadiums will have to be all seater with enough distance between the pitch and the stand for cameras, pitch side adverts etc. As for flares etc., that's a real no-go.

Rob what are you talking about in regards to Fanastic pictures ? Because from what I know of Maracana stadium is has been an all seater of 96000 seats since a period prior to the 2007 Pan Am Games . There is plenty of room for camera crews and bunting and the Views are unobstructed there . The Same goes for JH Stadium where athletics is to be run . The only real difference between JH stadium now and JH perhaps for 2016 is that 15000 additional seats are added to the ends of the stadium which the concrete structure was built for that provision with the Pan Am Games Staging. a matter of months JH stadium would be ready as adding the slabs and seating is not a huge job.

I think you are being sarcastic LOL

Jim jones

Purely from a standpoint from gamesbids and the photos and information posted here about individual IOC evalutaion visits, my ratings are as follows

Tokyo:- I mean, we could not really ask for anything more from the Japanese. Every detail was staggeringly impressive and the integration of technology reinforced that the Japanese , if given these games, will leave an unmatched technological and sports legacy. If only the Emporor could get involved its probably a done deal.

Brazil:- Just behind Tokyo....Monumentally breathtaking backdrop for the games. I think it should have pitched the environmental factor more though. Nonetheless, I was absolutely blown away by the Brazilian spirit and determination. Can you image what an Opening Ceromony would be like in Rio?

Chicago:- very good presentation but unceratinties exist. I think they relied a bit too heavily on personalities and sort of shooed away IOC concernsabout a few things. Nonethe less the obama factor lingers.

lets wait on Madrid and see.

I agree with you on everything observed thou I don't Pay attention to Japan as much because what you have said I would think Japan's strengths were anyways.

Rio well I was there for one day in my life and saw quite a bit for a day . I know I could spend twice the time the evaluation committee did and still not fully gather in the Environmental aspects completely. This is with me being on Corcovado Mountain and a Helicopter Landing pad opposite it seeing plenty of forest on the hillsides. Rio is going to be stunning whether it is 2016 or not.

A literally Dream for TV interest especially in America.

Chicago I think their biggest enemy is indeed themselves. I have read the USOC is having shades of uncertainty ALA prior to the vote for 2012. I read that was a factor that worked against them for NYC 2012.

Celebrities on a Videotron to me cannot compare to Pele on a soccer pitch tactile and in person . I would not doubt that if Rio's inspection came before Chicago and Chicago saw Rio unvailing Pele like they did . Michael Jordan would have be live and in person for the IOC. Some how the Video thing really can signal that the summer olympics for Chicago is not a big deal compared with Rio. This could indeed be the deal breaker for Chicago thou the USOC and the Organizational Changes I think are likely to be the undoing more.

Jim Jones

I agree with you on everything observed thou I don't Pay attention to Japan as much because what you have said I would think Japan's strengths were anyways.

Rio well I was there for one day in my life and saw quite a bit for a day . I know I could spend twice the time the evaluation committee did and still not fully gather in the Environmental aspects completely. This is with me being on Corcovado Mountain and a Helicopter Landing pad opposite it seeing plenty of forest on the hillsides. Rio is going to be stunning whether it is 2016 or not.

A literally Dream for TV interest especially in America.

Chicago I think their biggest enemy is indeed themselves. I have read the USOC is having shades of uncertainty ALA prior to the vote for 2012. I read that was a factor that worked against them for NYC 2012.

Celebrities on a Videotron to me cannot compare to Pele on a soccer pitch tactile and in person . I would not doubt that if Rio's inspection came before Chicago and Chicago saw Rio unvailing Pele like they did . Michael Jordan would have be live and in person for the IOC. Some how the Video thing really can signal that the summer olympics for Chicago is not a big deal compared with Rio. This could indeed be the deal breaker for Chicago thou the USOC and the Organizational Changes I think are likely to be the undoing more.

Jim Jones

You mean the recent internal USOC change? That was just one person. And it's not within Chicago's hierarchy. The very capable Bob Cvrtlik is still there on Chicago's ranks to keep the Chicago ship on course. The new USOC Chairman was put in place last fall -- so a good year before the Copenhagen vote. Streeter is a CEO in her own right. The whole issue is overblown.

Jim Jones

For sure they'd do that. Given the fact IOC members had a dinner hosted for them by the King and Queen of Spain with Spain's top sportspeople, it is clear that a video won't do.

Let's see how the following months unravel and who is present in Copenhagen.

For sure they'd do that. Given the fact IOC members had a dinner hosted for them by the King and Queen of Spain with Spain's top sportspeople, it is clear that a video won't do.

Let's see how the following months unravel and who is present in Copenhagen.

Of course hey Chicago had their queen oprah dine with the IOC as Well

Jim jones

Archived