Unveiling Medals

taichi

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't think Pringles chips, rather:

The dramatic form of the Vancouver 2010 medals is inspired by the ocean waves, drifting snow and mountainous landscape found in the Games

If you can say negative space and the use of it to show the heart as a doughnut the rest of use can call these things melted, pringles or whatever we want.

I like them. They're much better than Torino's (at least, judging by those first pictures -- I thought Torino's looked worse in real life than on the first pictures) and combine the robustness of Salt Lake's medals with the elegance of Albertville's or Lillehammer's medals. And it's also a great idea to make all of them unique.

Design-wise, Vancouver is really two thumbs up -- even the logo, which has really grown on me.

Everyone's already said the "why" part for me. But I am very, very impressed! I wonder if the ripples will evenly distribute the multiple medals Klassen, Hughes, Guay, Hamelin, Roberge, Luedders, VanderBeek and Groves are gonna win?

;)

I think they are OK. They absolutely work with the brand image of the Vancouver 2010 Olympics and develop the graphical language established in other aspects of the 'Look of the games'.

On personal taste alone, I like the warped surface and how it evokes scenes of mountains but overall I don't find them as appealing as Turin's.

Just noticed how the medal ribbons are in that classy blue instead of in all those different tones of blue and green used in the Look.

Good choice. Athens used tons of color on their ribbons and it didn't work against their medals. Beijing used a deep red that was very rarely used in the Look but worked great with their medals.