Unveiling Medals

I largely agree with Faster--his notion of Canada is mine too. And I think we're lucky--blessed--to be Canadian. I wasn't originally, so I feel particularly grateful.

But while these aspects of the debate about how to represent Canada's history until now at these Games are important, I think the symbolism can equally about the Canada we aspire to be. New Zealanders largely view Maoriness as being part of being a New Zealander--pakeha (European) or Maori. I would love for us to follow a similar tack, though the diversity of indigenous cultures would makes this more regional than national.

Salt Lake City was significantly critiqued for doing "Indian light": a cursory integration of Aboriginal participation rather than what VANOC is endeavouring to achieve: integration of Aboriginal participation at every level. From the development of new venues, to the look of the Games, to team delivering them itself. I doubt SLC 2002 had an Aboriginal secretariat working alongside other levels of governments' secretariats. VANOC does.

There has been a lot of integration of Aboriginal imagery in things like the mascots and Olympic emblem. But the overall "look" palate is very modern and contemporary, integration the sorts of things you write about: a modern city and nation that embraces its natural setting.

For the medals? They have two sides; I expect--hope, actually--one side reflects Aboriginal culture and the other modern Canada. I would love the Vancouver skyline with the mountains behind them--classic, contemporary Vancouver chauvinism at its very best! And of course the maple leaf!

With a few exceptions, I'm really loving this discussion!

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please stop saying "if you read my posts." I did.

The only time I ever said anything to you or about you was in in post #65 - "how would that be clear in the context of a medal design?" Which was really more rhetorical than posed directly at you.

I'll continue to point out people to read my posts if they wish to make out I am being Eurocentric because I have an opinion regarding Vancouver's design and in effect misconstruing my words.

For the record, I wasn't directing that phrase specifically at you since you never called me 'Eurocentric' but was nonetheless replying to you since you quoted me and speaking in general terms.

One side is no doubt going to be marked with the Olympic logo. I'd prefer a simple design. Perhaps a strip of brand inspired engravings, but mostly minimalist. The ribbon, of course, will be in the blue- green swishy-bubbly-urban style of the brand look.

One side is no doubt going to be marked with the Olympic logo. I'd prefer a simple design. Perhaps a strip of brand inspired engravings, but mostly minimalist. The ribbon, of course, will be in the blue- green swishy-bubbly-urban style of the brand look.

The Vancouver "blue- green swishy-bubbly-urban style" is really beautiful in my opinion and distinctive. I had a look on the Canadian mint's website and some of the coinage is outstanding and certainly does give ideas for medal design.

Winter Olympic medals tend to be a bit more daring, outlandish than their Summer compatriots, so maybe something cool will be designed.

I think I'm one of the few around here who hope the medal isn't round. I like the different shaped medals, like those of Sapporo, Sarajevo, and Salt Lake...although maybe that is an S thing. LOL!

Certainly, there is a precedent for doing different things with regards the medal design.

I liked Nagano's medals and how Japanese lacquer was used and was etched with Japanese scenery. I also likes Turin's medals as the hole in the middle was symbolic of a 'beating heart' when worn around an athletes neck.

Yeah, pretty much since 1972, the only Winter medals that were "normal" were in Innsbruck 76, LP 80, and Calgary 88. The rest were either odd shapes or included other materials (crystal, stone, lacquer).

I'm quite excited to see what Vancouver comes up with! There is such an array of influences and precedents to draw from!

• 2 weeks later...

i wonder how it'll be like? i really like the use of crystal with albertville and granite with lillehammer. the colors of nagano's medal is still a favorite while the rock shops of SLC is a beauty.