Unveiling Medals

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for a reference, this is the logo created for the Cowichan 2008 North American Indigenous Games and medals. I would love love love if something like this was specially created for the 2010 medals. A great deal of totems in the northwest are designed to mark specific historic events just much as some are spiritual symbols or lineage crests, making it a fitting front design for a medal. It would be a nice decorative and intricate contrast to Ilanaaq and the rest of the games look using cool colours and a whole lot of white.

draft_lens1417390module2612017photo_small_logo.jpg

Another idea is simply a variation of a traditional sun totem. It has a circular orientation and is a classic example of northwest design. I found this image from an EBay listing. It's the totem in metal form on a box, and it looks fantastic.

SUN%20TOTEM.jpg

Thoughts?

Just for a reference, this is the logo created for the Cowichan 2008 North American Indigenous Games and medals. I would love love love if something like this was specially created for the 2010 medals. A great deal of totems in the northwest are designed to mark specific historic events just much as some are spiritual symbols or lineage crests, making it a fitting front design for a medal. It would be a nice decorative and intricate contrast to Ilanaaq and the rest of the games look using cool colours and a whole lot of white.

draft_lens1417390module2612017photo_small_logo.jpg

Another idea is simply a variation of a traditional sun totem. It has a circular orientation and is a classic example of northwest design. I found this image from an EBay listing. It's the totem in metal form on a box, and it looks fantastic.

SUN%20TOTEM.jpg

Thoughts?

They are really beautiful in my opinion.

The only thing is: if you build the medals around the indigenous artwork, you are alienating all the other people in Canada who have contributed as much (a lot more infact) to modern day Canada. Perhaps the medals should be more inclusive so as to ebrace everyone?

I mean, if they only made reference to people of European descent in their branding there would be an uproar. Maybe the medals will have something for everyone - hopefully!

I will never understand people who feel alienated by different types of art. It's just ART. Canadians take themselves way too seriously when it comes to cultural property. Think about it this way. What type of design would NOT be alienating to at least some people? Even if some crazy medal was drawn up that has all of these little features of different cultures, who is to say where the limit is? How many groups are "enough"? It's the same thing that happened with the logo and the mascots. This was too Arctic, this was too Asian. blah blah blah. Oh cry me a river. They were created by Canadians and that's what makes it Canadian.

And it's not about "who contributed the most". That's a negative way of viewing culture with placing a value on people and historic events that can't have a quantitative value. Indigenous people contributed, whether actively, passively, or forcefully, practically 99.99% of the land of the second largest nation in the world, and that's not a contribution to the modern nation?

But I digress. Design doesn't belong to anybody and it doesn't NOT belong to anybody. We live in a country and world with many types of people and there is no way to identify a singular unifying style NOR identify clear individual styles because of the mixing of cultures and ideas. It's an endless spectrum and it's useless trying to pick out the "most important". Because you don't think indigenous design matches your Eurocentric view of Canadiana doesn't mean it's not Canadian design. Everybody owns art because once it's created, it's influence can't be stopped. Art doesn't come with a warning sign that says "WARNING: You must look/sound/dress/think like THIS: ___________ in order to like or be influenced by this piece! Look into the flashing red light to have it erased from your memory if you don't fit the category!" Everything we do and everything we use every day comes from different cultures. Nobody is truly homogenous.

The medal design could be a big toque for all I know, but the point is that it's not going to be this promotional representative of all people, because that is an impression which is impossible to make (unless one meets many kinds people from many different parts of the country)

Canadians need to STOP being so assertive about making sure outsiders get the "best" or "most accurate" view of who Canadians are. Let them judge for themselves. It's just ART.

I will never understand people who feel alienated by different types of art. It's just ART. Canadians take themselves way too seriously when it comes to cultural property. Think about it this way. What type of design would NOT be alienating to at least some people? Even if some crazy medal was drawn up that has all of these little features of different cultures, who is to say where the limit is? How many groups are "enough"? It's the same thing that happened with the logo and the mascots. This was too Arctic, this was too Asian. blah blah blah. Oh cry me a river. They were created by Canadians and that's what makes it Canadian.

And it's not about "who contributed the most". That's a negative way of viewing culture with placing a value on people and historic events that can't have a quantitative value. Indigenous people contributed, whether actively, passively, or forcefully, practically 99.99% of the land of the second largest nation in the world, and that's not a contribution to the modern nation?

Firstly, you seem to have totally misunderstood my post. I NEVER said that indigineous art should not be used. What I said was that, bearing in mind that Canada prides itself on being a multi-cultural nation, that some will view Canada representing it's indigineous inhabitants to a greater degree than other ethnic groups as poltically correct. That was part of the uproar over Vancouver's logo - a lot of social commentators felt it was too specific to one group and not more general of Canada or particularly modern.

Further, my post was largely retorical in nature as I was replying to a post which you made asking for thoughts on the indigenous artwork. I merely put out some questions, thoughts etc.

Further, I NEVER said the Olympics were about who contributed the most but rather that a more inclusive design, which represents everyone would prevent people feeling alienated. Whether this is possible is or to what extent this is possible is another area of debate.

Can I ask you? - Why are you getting so angry and saying I have a Eurocentric view of things?

"Because you don't think indigenous design matches your Eurocentric view of Canadiana doesn't mean it's not Canadian design...."

I NEVER said anything about that but was infact advocating a design which would be inclusive to all people of all creeds and culture. I even agreed that I found the artwork beautiful. Don't dare try and label my "Eurocentric". Nothing I said demonstrated that and more to the point you do not know me! Where did I condemn indigenous art anyway? For goodness sake -read my actual words. For the record, I never said the native's didn't contribute to modern Canada either just that other groups of people have aswell and rather than just focus on native Canada perhaps a more inclusive design can be achieved - all rhetorical in nature. Stop instigating an argument from your own hyperbolic interpretation of my words.

All I did was reply to a post you made asking for thoughts. I gave some rhetorical questions etc. Where do you derive this supposed 'Eurocentric' conspiracy from? Thank you for turning a pleasant thread into one where you are trying to frame me as some 'Eurocentric' How dare you ignorantly call me that - out of order!

I keep thinking about the inscriptions "Vancouver 2010" on the top of the inverese and "XX Olympiad" on the bottom. I don't know what's going on the obverese, but I think it will be creative.

Maybe the medals will have something for everyone - hopefully!

Noble idea , but how would that be clear in the context of a medal design?

I'm with IceNarcissus, Native art pieces like the ones posted above are unique to Canada and that is special in itself. If "Canada today, modern-day Canada, Canada in 2010, etc" needs to be acknowledged in everything, it'll be in the very hosting of the 2010 Games - which I'm sure will be done with great cheer and atmosphere. Not many cultures are able to do this today... in modern-day, in 2010, etc.

Noble idea , but how would that be clear in the context of a medal design?

I'm with IceNarcissus, Native art pieces like the ones posted above are unique to Canada and that is special in itself. If "Canada today, modern-day Canada, Canada in 2010, etc" needs to be acknowledged in everything, it'll be in the very hosting of the 2010 Games - which I'm sure will be done with great cheer and atmosphere. Not many cultures are able to do this today... in modern-day, in 2010, etc.

I agree. I never said indigenous art was not unique to Canada. If you read my post you would see that I am a fan of it. I was merely raising the question of how, as with the logo, some people will feel alienated by it. Not an attack but just an observation. I personally like it so where the undertones of your post towards me, suggesting I am against it is coming from, is beyond me.

And what you quoted me on there is me merely asking the speculative, somewhat rhetorical question of maybe the medals will appeal to broad sections of people culturally - we simply do not know as none of us have seen them. Anyway, I'm sure they will be nice no matter what!

I agree. I never said indigenous art was not unique to Canada. If you read my post you would see that I am a fan of it. I was merely raising the question of how, as with the logo, some people will feel alienated by it. Not an attack but just an observation. I personally like it so where the undertones of your post towards me, suggesting I am against it is coming from, is beyond me.

I read your post. I wasn't suggesting that you think the art posted is not unique to Canada or that you are against it. I was expressing my opinion. I don't see how you can take that as attacking you.

I don't want to speak for other people, but I think IceNarcissus wasn't attacking you either, but just expressing his opinion on Canadians feeling alienated by art in relation to cultural representation. When he said "you don't think indigenous design matches your Eurocentric...," he was referring to these Canadians in general, not you.

I keep thinking about the inscriptions "Vancouver 2010" on the top of the inverese and "XX Olympiad" on the bottom. I don't know what's going on the obverese, but I think it will be creative.

Taichi, my favorite winter Games mascot, they no longer use "Olympiad" on the medals. And "Olympiad" refers only to the Summer Games. The winters must be called the Olympic Winter Games.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I think what most people object to is not the use of native art or motifs but the blatant use of them over the use of collective Canadian design and art that has been shaped by all comers to this country. Look at Salt Lake City 2002, they had American Indian aspects to much of their design through the use of a typical Western/Southwestern motifs, colours and designs that permeate the Four Corners but you could not define any aspect of the design as specifically from one culture, whereas the mascots and logo can obviously be attributed to one culture instead of the collective culture of Canada.

How does a thunderbird, inukshuk, a Sasquatch (something that is btw more famoulsy associated with the US) and a mystical killer whale reflect modern Canada? It doesn't, it reflects only the cultures that they are from. There has been a long list of Canadians that have tried to slowly forge a singular Canadian identity, from Emily Carr and the Group of Seven to Wilfrid Laurier, Lester B. Pearson and Pierre Trudeau, but their efforts have been stifled by this multi-cultural bullsh!t and political correctness.

I am a Canadian because I have a connection to this land, I see the beauty in where we live, I am apart of the collective conscience when it comes to interests on a national scale like, cliched as it is, hockey. I define myself based on the values and principles McDonald, Laurier, Broden, King, Pearson and Trudeau amongst others instilled within this country through their actions on a public stage. Its with the land, our loves and those that have dedicated themselves to prompting one Canada that should be celebrated in 2010 not the individual cultures of the couple hundred ethnic groups that make their homes in this land. At one point or another every single person living in this land came as immigrants (only the Great Rift Valley in Africa can claim to have indigenous humans) we should stop defining how 'Canadian' we are by how long we've been here. A person that got their citizenship last week is just as Canadian as I am and just as Canadian as any Dene, Cree or Inuit.

Edited by Faster

I think what most people object to is not the use of native art or motifs but the blatant use of them over the use of collective Canadian design and art that has been shaped by all comers to this country. Look at Salt Lake City 2002, they had American Indian aspects to much of their design through the use of a typical Western/Southwestern motifs, colours and designs that permeate the Four Corners but you could not define any aspect of the design as specifically from one culture, whereas the mascots and logo can obviously be attributed to one culture instead of the collective culture of Canada.

How does a thunderbird, inukshuk, a Sasquatch (something that is btw more famoulsy associated with the US) and a mystical killer whale reflect modern Canada? It does, it reflects only the cultures that they are from. There has been a long list of Canadians that have tried to slowly forge a singular Canadian identity, from Emily Carr and the Group of Seven to Wilfrid Laurier, Lester B. Pearson and Pierre Trudeau, but their efforts have been stifled by this multi-cultural bullsh!t and political correctness.

I am a Canadian because I have a connection to this land, I see the beauty in where we live, I am apart of the collective conscience when it comes to interests on a national scale like, cliched as it is, hockey. I define myself based on the values and principles McDonald, Laurier, Broden, King, Pearson and Trudeau amongst others instilled within this country through their actions on a public stage. Its with the land, our loves and those that have dedicated themselves to prompting one Canada that should be celebrated in 2010 not the individual cultures of the couple hundred ethnic groups that make their homes in this land. At one point or another every single person living in this land came as immigrants (only the Great Rift Valley in Africa came claim to have indigenous humans) we should stop defining how 'Canadian' we are by how long we've been here. A person that got their citizenship last week is just as Canadian as I am and just as Canadian as any Dene, Cree or Inuit.

Very good post.

You have made the point I was trying to make.Your example of Salt Lakes 2002's branding is also a good example of how design can be quite far reaching and inclusive.

I read your post. I wasn't suggesting that you think the art posted is not unique to Canada or that you are against it. I was expressing my opinion. I don't see how you can take that as attacking you.

I don't want to speak for other people, but I think IceNarcissus wasn't attacking you either, but just expressing his opinion on Canadians feeling alienated by art in relation to cultural representation. When he said "you don't think indigenous design matches your Eurocentric...," he was referring to these Canadians in general, not you.

I never said you were attacking me! All I said was that I am not against the indigenous artwork as I find it beautiful but it is artwork nonetheless from one ethnic group. In my opinion a more cohesive, embracing identity would represent ALL Canadians and not just the ethnic groups that the government want to promote due to political correctness. I don't know how to actually achieve this but as Faster points out, there have been attempts to forge a truly Canadian identity.

When someone is called 'Eurocentric' and indeed is from Europe like I am, then of course that comes off as slighlty judgemental. I'm not 'Eurocentric' at all -if you read my posts I was actually trying to offer up a suggestion that maybe the design be 'inclusive' rather than singular for one ethnic group.

I never said you were attacking me!

You thought my post had negative undetones towards you, in other words attacking you. It wasn't.

All I said was that I am not against the indigenous artwork as I find it beautiful but it is artwork nonetheless from one ethnic group.

I never questioned that.

When someone is called 'Eurocentric' and indeed is from Europe like I am, then of course that comes off as slighlty judgemental. I'm not 'Eurocentric' at all -if you read my posts I was actually trying to offer up a suggestion that maybe the design be 'inclusive' rather than singular for one ethnic group.

Please stop saying "if you read my posts." I did.

The only time I ever said anything to you or about you was in in post #65 - "how would that be clear in the context of a medal design?" Which was really more rhetorical than posed directly at you.