Unveiling Medals

any news when the medal will be revealed? i'm curious to see how the medal ribbon will look like as well. though most likely it'll be blue and green just like the look of the games. my favorite medal ribbon(s) to date are from Athens, Atlanta and Lillehammer

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i like the rock shapes of the SLC medal. Nagano's use of lacquer and color is pretty innocative. Albertville's crystal and Lillehammer's granite are also a breakthrough in design. I like the reverse side of Calgary's medal.

Seriously if you Canadians are that precious about the Torino handover you need to get a reality check. Ice hockey - check. Avril - check. Ilanaaq - check. What do you think the world wanted to see? The handover is meant to paint a very basic picture of what is to come. A cirque du soleil fest scored by Sarah McLachlan or The Tragically Hip may have made you all feel a bit better but like the kangaroos on bmx bikes Sydney put forward at Atlanta the world wants to see the fun side of a future host.

The Vancouver bit was possibly the liveliest section of the whole closing ceremony borefest. It was bright, zipped along quickly and was a good chuckle. It is time to pull your head out of your arses and realise that most of the world still thinks Canada is all maple syrup, mooses and homely chicks that say "aboot". VANOC had to paint a picture that showed a winter wonderland, a bright youthful image and still get across that the whole thing is actually about sports. Done, done and done. The audience in the stadium loved it as did every other country outside of Canada.

By the way - in my long Olympic viewing and attending history that handover was one of the best I've ever seen at an Olympics - period. Thank your lucky stars it was Avril and not Shania or Bryan Adams. 'Who Knows' was an inspired song choice.

Sorry - I needed to vent. Just look at you tube for some of the other horrible handovers and keep things in perspective.

As for the medals - I am sure they will have wood in them - the official posters have that wood grained look and it seems that VANOC are opting for a birght yet organic look.

Vancouver was a good handover. I liked London's too. Sydney's in Atlanta was quite cool with the opera house.

Yeah, Vancouver's handover ceremony was one of the better ones. Handover ceremonies will always attract criticism as they cannot possibly please everyone just by their very nature. They are just a little token gesture to set the tone for the following games anyway. Beijings handover ceremony in 2004 was criticised for being to 'stereotyped' of chinese culture and yet in 2008 Beijing produced a great ceremony. Canada will do the same I'm sure. Vancouver's ceremony had a 'wintery' feel and was youthful and dynamic at the same time. I'm personally really looking forward to Canad's ceremonies - I understand that the cirque du soleil are not in the ceremony which I think would have been amazing. But I digress.....

Vancouver's branding has been outstanding for the 2010 Olympics. The much maligned logo is now given a dynamic context and looks quite good. The torch looks cool and I'm sure the medals will has the same quality aswell.

LOL, great. Another Olympic tradition founded by Adolf Hitler! :D

Actually, one should correct that. Berlin and its organizing committee were awarded/founded just as the Nazis were coming to power. But the Berlin Organizing Committee..and the Torch Relay...and the oak trees...had NOTHING to do with the Nazi party. As a matter of fact, early on, when the Nazis inherited the Olympic portfolio, they viewed it 'as another Jewish conspiracy,' and at first wanted nothing to do with it.

And then when their marketing team was in place, the Nazis realized that the Olympics would be a great propaganda tool for their twisted ideology. This was like 2 years before the Games; and they even tried to unseat Drs. Carl Diem and Theodoore Lewald (the 2 men who ran the Org Committee and who were non-Nazis) and install their own stooges. But the IOC resisted them and told them if there was any more interference in the make-up of the BOOC, the IOC would cancel the Games. The Nazis backed off...but of course continued to fully support the Games.

So, unfortunately, the 1936 Games will ALWAYS be tainted as having undue Nazi influence which of course, they did. And of course, with the hindsight of history, any connection with a Nazi 'achievement' is automatically rendered 'evil.' Now, whether that is a fair assessment or not remains to be seen.

On the Handover segment, I thought the 'cracking ice' alone was worth it. So, which came first "Ice Age" or the Vancouver handover? :D

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Baron, thanks for clarifying what needed to be clarify. History records 1936 as the Nazi Olympics, but while under the influence of Hitler's regime, they were not organized by Hitler. I mean, we never call them the 1980 Commie Games or the 1984 NeoCon Games but because of the way general society glazes over history, everything German between 1933 and 1945 is simply termed "Nazi" or having been done by Hitler himself. The Berlin Olympics are an example. Hitler certainly used the Games for his propaganda purposes, but they were organized by a OCOG and well organized at that, serving as a template for future Olympiads. And let's face it, Hitler wasn't the only one to ever take advantage of the opportunities for political influence offered by the Olympics. Every Games has that. But Hitler's role in the 1936 Games was that as leader of the host nation, not leader of the OCOG.

• 1 month later...

I have a suggestion on how the medal should look like.

A ski jumper floating in mid air. Or a biathlon aiming at the horizon.

The motto of the Vancouver Olympic is "with glowing hearts." This could be a hint what the shape of the medal will be. Maybe a glow in the dark heart shape medal, just kidding. I think a medal that is in a shape of a maple leaf could be a possibilty. It would be very unique also. The official posters is also a maple leaf. The motto is part of our national anthem. This is canada's game which I hear many time from Vanoc. So a maple leaf shape medal could be it.

The Vancouver Olympic is also known as the sea to sky game.

My idea

front of the medal

The bronze medal has a first nation design of an orca or salmon (sea)

The silver medal has a first nation design of a bear (land)

The gold medal has a first nation design of a thunder bird (sky)

First nation design looks amazing in metal and the back of the medal has the logo and a maple leaf and motto.

The Vancouver Olympic is also known as the sea to sky game.

My idea

The gold medal has a first nation design of a thunder bird (sky)

The silver medal has a first nation design of a bear (land)

The bronze medal has a first nation design of an orca (sea)

Brilliant idea.

If i could add to your idea

1. The medals be really thick like NAGANO's.

2. The first nation designs be made of lacqured British Columbian wood, and have the name of the sport/ discipline carved into the wood

3. The metal part of the medal is like a frame for the wooden disc, the front of the medals be metal as would the rim and just a little overlap on the back.

thoughts?

and each medals' wooden "reverse" would be hand carved, each medal unique and different...oh sh*t guys I think we have a winner.

Only thing is i dont know what the front of the medal should look like. I'm thinking a high detaiul maple leaf on the fron, almost liek apressing, so you can see the veins of the leaft in detail. with the logo-dates- and Location underneath.

We have a BINGO here.

There isn't much West Coast Native art in the Vanoc brand package. I wouldn't expect it to pop up here. That look was used a lot in the Victoria 1994 Commonwealth Games (the Queen's Baton). Vancouver's look is more organic with modern man made touches. Not so much First Nations. But I'm sure we'll find out soon.

It is not the core of the brand, but Native influence is there. The basis for the 2010 graphic identity is Vancouver's dichotomy of the natural and the urban, and the Native and the modern. Among other textures and imagery, they juxtapose cobblestone and rain drops, condo glass and foliage, fish netting and snow flakes... and [native] Haida art and graffiti.

So I wouldn't be surprised if the medals follow this and have natural and Native influence and allusions but with modern polish.

Yes, that's what I said..."there isn't much"...meaning there is some, but the VANOC look is robust and includes almost everything except the kitchen sink. So I don't see the medals being all that much First Nations. An element here and there, but don't expect this in gold, silver and bronze:

bill_reid_haida_native_art_grizzly_bear_sticker-p217547583942325589qjcl_400.jpg

and each medals' wooden "reverse" would be hand carved, each medal unique and different...oh sh*t guys I think we have a winner.

Only thing is i dont know what the front of the medal should look like. I'm thinking a high detaiul maple leaf on the fron, almost liek apressing, so you can see the veins of the leaft in detail. with the logo-dates- and Location underneath.

We have a BINGO here.

Nah. Those medals are only going to come from one mold because that's how the IOC wants it. So no varying designs.

One should also note on why the VANOC would want to needlessly spend several extra million in the cost of the wood, the craftsmen hand carving it, the people chopping the trees down, or worse, getting technicians to design a machine to do it for them.

It's just a needless waste of additional funds, not to mention the bad message it gives to a supposed green games (even if trees are to be replanted).

It may look nice yes, but that'll just have local taxpayers angry who have to pay for such additional costs.