Olympic Trivia Question

baron-pierreIV

OK, another trivia question: (25-05-09)

Up until 1960, which country had its flag represented by 3 'teams' marching into summer Olympic Opening Ceremonies? (So, the same flag carried by 3 delegations marching in the O.C.)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK, another trivia question: (25-05-09)

Up until 1960, which country had its flag represented by 3 nations marching into summer Olympic Opening Ceremonies? (So, the same flag carried by 3 delegations marching in the O.C.)

Good question Baron!

Just to clarify, nare you talking EVERY ceremony up until 1960?

If it's just a few, I'll make a wild guess and say Germany (West Germany, East Germany, Saarland)

Good question Baron!

Just to clarify, nare you talking EVERY ceremony up until 1960?

If it's just a few, I'll make a wild guess and say Germany (West Germany, East Germany, Saarland)

It was for summer Ceremonies say, from 1936 thru 1960.

Not the German flag. Didn't the GDR have an emblem on its flag? And Saar only participated in the Helsinki '52 Games with its Scandinavian-looking flag.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saar_at_the_1...Summer_Olympics

We'll let sredets give it a try since he loves trivia question. Too bad Faster is taking a sabbatical.

It was for summer Ceremonies say, from 1936 thru 1960.

Not the German flag. Didn't the GDR have an emblem on its flag? And Saar only participated in the Helsinki '52 Games with its Scandinavian-looking flag.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saar_at_the_1...Summer_Olympics

We'll let sredets give it a try since he loves trivia question. Too bad Faster is taking a sabbatical.

As I said, it was just a wild guess. I think the two Germanies actually marched together until the mid-60s (I'm sure one of the German members here can comnfirm). And Saar was one of thoise trivial things I'd picked up poring through the Stan Greenburg books. Actually, I checked after I'd posted and saw Saarland dids indeed have its own flag, so I knew I was wrong.

Sredets - is that a clue? Maybe Jug-o-saliva?

As I said, it was just a wild guess. I think the two Germanies actually marched together until the mid-60s (I'm sure one of the German members here can comnfirm). And Saar was one of thoise trivial things I'd picked up poring through the Stan Greenburg books. Actually, I checked after I'd posted and saw Saarland dids indeed have its own flag, so I knew I was wrong.

Sredets - is that a clue? Maybe Jug-o-saliva?

Sredetsfan...see a few posts above. He's a Bulgarian poster who "loves these trivia things."

You'd be surprised how easy the answer to this question is.

Gotta be the Union Jack of Great Britain?

Not certain but gotta be a good guess.

Hmmmm. I was wondering about that - and 1960 sounds about right for decolonialisation.

I'm really itching to know - I've tried googling, but can't find a result!

I don't about the Union Jack...but from photos, I know it's the good ole Stars'n'Stripes.

Post-war, and as I said until or before Rome 1960, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands marched in carrying the 48-star flag, and then the main US contingent. Until PR and the US Virgin Islands got their own flags, too. (And at least in 1936, before the USVI joined the Olympic movement, the Philippines, still a colony of the US, marched in Berlin under a US flag.)

Now whether the S'n'S carried by the other NOCs dipped their flag, I dunno.

Funny, that non-dipping of the US flag before the Tribune of Honor is apparently a matter of law...(just as I also learned that the pronunciation of "Arkansas" as ar-kan-saw was a matter of law legislated by the State Legislature of Arkansas -c/o "Jeopardy!") -- I guess to differentiate it from Dorothy's state.

Sorry to sound really stupid but as a non-US citizen I don't understand the flag dipping - what is this?

I think there must have been a games where there was more than one union jack marched in - but I couldn't tell you which.

Sorry to sound really stupid but as a non-US citizen I don't understand the flag dipping - what is this?

Oh, in Opening Ceremonies, the US 'prides' itself in being the ONLY flag, of all the nations, and in Olympic history that does NOT dip when passing by the Tribune of Honor as most other nations' flags do. I know it's not prescribed in the IOC Charter that the foreign flags must dip in the OC...but here, US law trumps IOC tradition.

I think there must have been a games where there was more than one union jack marched in - but I couldn't tell you which.

Probably so. I think it has to do with WHEN the colonies joined the IOC and had their own NOC recognized. Because today, or whenever it was that Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands legislated their own flags, it's only the USA that marches in with Old Glory.

But again, if Cordelia were here, this would be another 'Anglo-Saxon' conspiracy. :lol::lol:

Oh, in Opening Ceremonies, the US 'prides' itself in being the ONLY flag, of all the nations, and in Olympic history that does NOT dip when passing by the Tribune of Honor as most other nations' flags do. I know it's not prescribed in the IOC Charter that the foreign flags must dip in the OC...but here, US law trumps IOC tradition.

Dipping the flags during the parade of nations is completely out of fashion anyway. I haven't seen just one nation in recent Olympic parades of nations dipping their flag. I think that this was only practiced during the times when the athletes really marched in orderly fashion instead of walking/dancing/hopping into the stadium as they do nowadays.

As I said, it was just a wild guess. I think the two Germanies actually marched together until the mid-60s (I'm sure one of the German members here can comnfirm).

That's true, there was a unified German team from 1956 till 1964. In 1968, West and East Germany had separate teams for the first time but still the same flag (black, red and gold with the Olympic Rings) and the same anthem (Beethoven's Ode to Joy). In 1972, they were completely separated with their own flags and national anthems for the first time.

QUOTE (baron-pierreIV @ May 26 2009, 08:00 PM)

Dipping the flags during the parade of nations is completely out of fashion anyway. I haven't seen just one nation in recent Olympic parades of nations dipping their flag. I think that this was only practiced during the times when the athletes really marched in orderly fashion instead of walking/dancing/hopping into the stadium as they do nowadays.

Can't say i've ever noticed the dipping. But if dipping still does happen its a bit wierd that the US doesn't dip. Why not? Guess its the old US thing of our flag is more important than anyone elses?!

Can't say i've ever noticed the dipping. But if dipping still does happen its a bit wierd that the US doesn't dip. Why not? Guess its the old US thing of our flag is more important than anyone elses?!

Something like that. But then as Olympics2004 said, I think many nations don't do it anymroe either -- so it's really become moot. It must've been big in Brundage's day. He was such a stickler for protocol.

Hmmm. Didn't the flame get beamed up to the Space Shuttle in '84?

Or something similar to Skylab or whatever in 1976?

Would those count, or are we talking supersonic atmospheric flight/travel?

Hmmm. Didn't the flame get beamed up to the Space Shuttle in '84?

Or something similar to Skylab or whatever in 1976?

Would those count, or are we talking supersonic atmospheric flight/travel?

I don't know that it ever went up to the Space Shuttle in 1984-- did it?

By 'supersonic,' I mean your #3 - atmospheric flight.

I don't know that it ever went up to the Space Shuttle in 1984-- did it?

By 'supersonic,' I mean your #3 - atmospheric flight.

Actually, I've since googled it and know the answer - but I'll let someone else have the fun!

man so angry that i missed the previous trivia Q (the US flag one). Been busy lately... anyway, i didnt know the answer but the US would have been my guess, especially after your (Baron's) second clue. <_<

As for this one i know the answer, but i dont want to answer this one and ruin it for other people... (like S. Roltel, said ;) )... :lol:

Oh come on -- someone has to answer it. So I'll take the turn.

Wasn't the Olympic Flame of Albertville 1992 flown to France aboard the Concorde? But I'm not sure whether the Concorde ever reached super-sonic speed on that flight since it flew mainly above land en route from Olympia to Paris or where ever it landed. Due to the sonic boom, the Concorde wasn't supposed to reach super-sonic speeds above land.

Oh come on -- someone has to answer it. So I'll take the turn.

Wasn't the Olympic Flame of Albertville 1992 flown to France aboard the Concorde? But I'm not sure whether the Concorde ever reached super-sonic speed on that flight since it flew mainly above land en route from Olympia to Paris or where ever it landed. Due to the sonic boom, the Concorde wasn't supposed to reach super-sonic speeds above land.

Yep - that's what I googled. Actually, the info I had also mentioned Barcelona as well as Albertville, but Albertville makes more sense with the Concoprde. Anyway, Baron only asked for the year, not the Games, so 1992 is the winner!

Yep - that's what I googled. Actually, the info I had also mentioned Barcelona as well as Albertville, but Albertville makes more sense with the Concoprde. Anyway, Baron only asked for the year, not the Games, so 1992 is the winner!

I believe it was only Albertville because the Winter used Air France to get the flame from Athens to Paris. Barcelona used whatever the Spanish airline was, JingoAir or something like that :lol: which did NOT have a supersonic craft.

I think maybe somewhere over the Med, it might have hit the sonic boom, and then decelerated.

i havnt checked for sure, but im speculating that it went supersonic (even if only for a couple of minutes). olympic hosts always try to out-do and out-perform eachother so im sure la France was eager to be "the first" to send the flame into supersonic flight. I think it was Canada that converted the flame to an energy beam and send it through space (Montral Games). Plus it's the Concord, why else fly the flame in a supersonic airplane if it does not cross the sound barreir... :P

OK...new Biddingquestion:

When was the only time in history that two Summer Olympic host cities were awarded their assignments concurrently (in the same IOC Session)?

Just which 2 consecutive hosts are fine for the answer?

Bonus kisses if you can also name where that session was held.

(And FIFA thought they were going to be soooooooo original next year.)

Great one Baron!

Paris was up against a hot field, including the USA and the Netherlands for 1924, but your old grandpappy Pierre was determined to do a Juan Antonio and snatch the games for his beloved Paris to make up for the ... ahem ... less than highly-regarded 1900 games. So he did a deal with Amsterdam to promise them 1928 in turn for their support for Gay Paree. The Americans fell in with promises for 1932, though that wasn't officially voted on at that session.

All in Lausanne, 1921.

Source - Athens to Athens, David Miller

Not a bad field of bidders for those olympiads either: Paris, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Los Angeles, Prague, Rome.

All except Prague to date having made it as Olympic hosts.

Archived