Dubai - Tokyo - Chicago

Mikel

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In the GamesBids list for 2016 there are a lot of "candidates". But which of them are realistic? I think only about five. Some of them would like but are not able because of financial problems, other could but don´t want, like Dubai. Nevertheless it will be the same dramatic race like for 2012, a hea-to-head race until the very last end.

Huge news for a New York Ctiy bid:

Along with Laura Bush and eight other delegation members -- including close friends of the President and former Olympic athletes such as figure skater Dorothy Hamill -- Betts will host and attend events held by heads of state and the executive committee of the International Olympic Committee, Betts said.

The opportunity to interact with members of the International Olympic Committee is valuable given the possibility of another New York bid for the 2016 Games, said Betts, who has been involved with efforts to bring the Olympics to his hometown since 1995.

"We are still giving serious thought to bidding for the Games in 2016 for New York, so it's important to keep touching the IOC bases," Betts said. "Plus, it will be a lot of fun."

Rest of Article

Wow, this is great news for a New York City bid.

They're still serious about one, and the fact that Betts is a big name in NYC is very important.

Betts is a prominent New York developer and the founder, chairman and chief executive officer of Chelsea Piers, L.P., which operates the Chelsea Piers Sports and Entertainment Complex in Manhattan. He is also a director of the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation, which is responsible for rebuilding the World Trade Center site.

Maybe he could be the bid leader.

I saw this news this morning too.  I think since the 2012 campaign you're going to see a lot more high profile visits from candidate mayors and influential national political figures from prospective 2016 host cities at both the Torino and Beijing Games - quite a lot was made of Blair's visit to Athens in respect of his obvious support for the Olympic movement in London's push for the Games and he would also have mixed with IOC members whilst enjoying the sport.

so we stay with the old ones: Dubai - Tokyo - Chicago

Cool, great, that's fine. I think we'd all gathered that long ago anyway over the past 38 pages.

As to me. Personally, I'd love to see it go to Rio or Capetown. Realistically at this stage I expect it to go to New York (and I'd be more than happy with that too!).

I´m not so happy when politicians and others are involved in the bid process. For future would that mean to see Nelson Mandela working for Cape Town, Kim il sun for PC etc? I think this is the wrong way and not good for the sport. Sport will then dominated by political considerations. IOC has to reform the bid process.

With the right political support we then could elect Baron´s Yucaipa. Sport has to stay clean and not to be under influence of politics. That´s why I´m for the old-fashioned way and choose Tokyo or Chicago (as politics seems to be for NYC)

I´m not so happy when politicians and others are involved in the bid process. For future would that mean to see Nelson Mandela working for Cape Town, Kim il sun for PC etc? I think this is the wrong way and not good for the sport. Sport will then dominated by political considerations. IOC has to reform the bid process.

With the right political support we then could elect Baron´s Yucaipa. Sport has to stay clean and not to be under influence of politics. That´s why I´m for the old-fashioned way and choose Tokyo or Chicago (as politics seems to be for NYC)

:shocked:    And u think no politicians will be involved in the Tokyo and Chicago bids?  You're quite strange, Zen.   :rolleyes:

So who's Daley then for Chicago?   :rolleyes:

This is depending what influence those politicians have on the bid process. For my understanding the influence of politics for NYC is bigger than for Chicago. But in general this not necessarily has an impact on IOC´s decision. There always will be correct and not so correct decisions, that´s life. But when you have the experience and the right perspective you know in which direction the things go.

This is depending what influence those politicians have on the bid process. For my understanding the influence of politics for NYC is bigger than for Chicago. But in general this not necessarily has an impact on IOC´s decision. There always will be correct and not so correct decisions, that´s life. But when you have the experience and the right perspective you know in which direction the things go.

Yep... That's why NYC has the upper hand because of its experience in dealing with the USOC and the IOC. Chicago doesn't. That's why were hearing very inexperienced and IMO, unintelligent statements from Mayor Daley regarding it's potential 2016 Summer Games bid, it's their first time.

It´s ok when politics is involved in bids but it should not have a major role. IOC has to stay outside politics and should not put their fingers in the political "kitchen"

But if governments are expected to pay, or at least underwrite, a games, they MUST have a say. You can't have it both ways.

On GamesBids list for 2016 there are also Houston and San Francisco. Do you think they are realistic candidates for a possible US race? It might be better to have only a few real candidates then a huge varity of candidate cities. This will make live much easier for Chicago

Mayor Bloomberg is still not denying gunning for the Olympics.

On his weekly radio show, he has shocked many people by going back on his word after the 2012 decision, and that it is quite possible that New York would bid for the 2016 Games.

As many expected . . .  :wink:

New York Post Article

NYK, am blocked for the rest of the article.  Can u reprint it here?  Tx.

Sure.

MIKE'S NEW MIND GAMES

By DAVID SEIFMAN

The city might still be carrying a torch for the Olympics, Mayor Bloomberg hinted yesterday.

For the first time since the city lost its bid for the 2012 games, Bloomberg refused to rule out the possibility of a bid for 2016.

"You know [Deputy Mayor Dan] Doctoroff spent 10 years of his life [to prepare the 2012 bid] and it's an enormous sacrifice and now he and I have other things to do and I don't know whether or not we as a country will have a team," the mayor said on his weekly WABC radio show. "Probably."

For all the qualifiers, Bloomberg then added a tantalizing postscript: "Would New York City try to be that team? It's premature to tell."

Not to bust this story nykfan845, this was exactly Mayor Mike's statements right after NYC lost out to London in July.

I guess the most revealing statement regarding NYC's intentions came from the other article you've posted, the one with Betts. And I think this statement from Mayor Mike was in reaction to what Betts said. Maybe, Betts is not supposed to say anything regarding NYC's "serious" consideration of bidding again. This might be Mayor Mike's way of calming everybody down.

Then rally everybody up again when its time to do it, right after the Torino Games...   :;):

NYC didn´t lost the the bid against London, Paris lost it. NYC failed in an earlier round. NYC was far away from winning 2010. That is why my favorite is Chicago, maybe San Francisco should also have a chance. It´s a difference how Paris and NYC lost the bid. Paris in a neck to neck final, NYC very soon in the final round. That makes the difference.

Archived