Dubai - Tokyo - Chicago

Mikel

Zenica:

1 _ forget paris or Lisbon for 2016. Unless a disaster happens, NO European city will have a chance for 2016.

2 _ I know you fancy the idea of the likes of Dubai or Lisbon hosting, but tney aren't going to bid just because you like the idea of them. Unless they show interest themselves, it probably means they have no intentions of bidding.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dubai won't bid... They don't have infraestructure or enough security nowadays... Dubais is a turistic resort, not a city for sport.

Er. Mikel, I agree that Dubai wouldn’t be the most suitable city for the games, though your post is just all wrong.

Yes it is a tourist destination, though by the time the city decides to bid (if ever) I would think they would have some of the best infrastructure in the world. Some of the facilities and transport infrastructure going up around the city are quite amazing. In terms of commercial infrastructure, the city is a world leader.

It would also be considered the safest place in the Middle East. Though if it is so dangerous to travel to and live in, why such a population, construction and business boom in the city? Compared to other hosting nations back when they held the games (ie; Spain), Dubai is light-years ahead.

as far as i can remember rogge favoured london....shudda seen the smile on his face as he announced the winner...or am i wrong?

lisbon could be criticized heavily by the IOC in technical aspects....

Probably true Mo, there are many technical points in which Lisbon lacks, though it does hold a few good aspects.

At present, Lisbon has an excellent transport system given its size. A lot of existing transport and sport infrastructure and a surmountable amount of accommodation.

Though, anything newly constructed and installed for a Lisbon Games would be very much unsustainable.

Lisbon IMO would resemble an Athens Games just with an Atlantic system.

In regards to Rogge, he mentioned he did not favour any city and honestly, I believe him. I think he would have been smiling who ever win, I think all 5 cities would have done an excellent job regardless. London was just a little more prestigious then the rest.

My fear is that the Summer Olympics will go only in a "rotation of 'big metropoli' and 'wealthy nations.'" Like, what's the point of a bidding process for the Summer Olympics, if the whole decision has already been pre-determined in a way?

My fear is that the Summer Olympics will go only in a "rotation of 'big metropoli' and 'wealthy nations.'" Like, what's the point of a bidding process for the Summer Olympics, if the whole decision has already been pre-determined in a way?

Well, it is a huge undertaking of ultimate dubious value, so a huge city/country can absorb the expensive 'foolishness' of it all; and small cities/countries cannot and should not do so both (i) physically; and (ii) ethically.

Hey, Zen -- will you wake up.   You're throwing in every city on the planet for the 2016 race -- including all these photos?   :suspect:  Not all will make it to the Final 4 -- and we could all do the same -- I could be posting photos of my favorite candidate cities - Port-au-Prince

30604230.Intoinferno.jpg  (A peaceful moment in the tranquil capital city of Haiti.)  

and Kandahar -- but what good will that do but just clutter these threads?  (We all know what the Roman Colosseum looks like -- even w/o the cats.)  

So please STOP with these maxi-images of the various unrealistic candidate cities.  It's using up a lot of bandwidth and are utltimately irritating.   :angry:

As we can read in BidsNews, Chicago´s mayor said that the big problem in Chicago is the transportation. A feasibility study should make clear if it is really interesting for Chicago to invest a lot of money in infrastructure. A system like in Prague and other European cities, a combination of all possible public transportation (i.e. build by Skoda in Prague) might be possible also for Chicago. The question is: do the inhabitants of Chicago want this?

When solving the transportation problem Chicago could be one of the favorites for Summer 2016.

As we can read in BidsNews, Chicago´s mayor said that the big problem in Chicago is the transportation. A feasibility study should make clear if it is really interesting for Chicago to invest a lot of money in infrastructure. A system like in Prague and other European cities, a combination of all possible public transportation (i.e. build by Skoda in Prague) might be possible also for Chicago. The question is: do the inhabitants of Chicago want this?

When solving the transportation problem Chicago could be one of the favorites for Summer 2016.

Of course Chicago's the favorite.

It's the only city in the race :P

My opinion is that USOC will decide for Chicago from a bigger list from US cities. NYC had it´s chance 2012 and they didn´t say that they are interested in another bid. LA and SF seem not the optimal host cities. Philadelphia, San Diego etc are out of the race, I think.

Besides the US candidate there will be several other strong candidates like Tokyo ...

My opinion is that USOC will decide for Chicago from a bigger list from US cities. NYC had it´s chance 2012 and they didn´t say that they are interested in another bid. LA and SF seem not the optimal host cities. Philadelphia, San Diego etc are out of the race, I think.

Besides the US candidate there will be several other strong candidates like Tokyo ...

Zen, why  are u writing off New York?  They haven't said they are pulling out of the race.  R u again projecting your personal choices in this?

If anything, it looks like Chicago is having great difficulty getting its act together:

1.  Its business community seems cool to an Olympics idea.

2.  Daley has some dumb ideas about the main stadium: Fort Wayne or something 60 miles AIN'T gonna fly.  The USOC will shut down for business first before it presents anything quite foolish.

3.  Daley's voicing some doubts about this city's transportation ability during a Games.

So, if anything, it's Chicago that can't get a running start, Zen.  New York has only to tweak their plan a little-  which is why they are keeping quiet, complying with the USOC's wishes.  But that doesn't mean they aren't busy improving their game plan for the better?

Just a little news from the Big Apple.

The AVP Pro Beach Volleyball Tour ... is joining forces with Brooklyn Sports & Entertainment — an affiliate of Brooklyn developer Bruce Ratner's New Jersey Nets ownership group Nets Sports and Entertainment — to bring the tour to Brooklyn next August and will build a 4,000 seat stadium on Coney Island.

The perfect beach volleyball venue for a NYC Olympics. No renderings yet.

Just a little news from the Big Apple.

The AVP Pro Beach Volleyball Tour ... is joining forces with Brooklyn Sports & Entertainment — an affiliate of Brooklyn developer Bruce Ratner's New Jersey Nets ownership group Nets Sports and Entertainment — to bring the tour to Brooklyn next August and will build a 4,000 seat stadium on Coney Island.

The perfect beach volleyball venue for a NYC Olympics. No renderings yet.

4,000 would be small though for an Olympic venue.  THey should bump that up to at least 8,000- and they'd make good money on that venue.

Regarding the actual discussion for a candidate from Africa: besides Cape Town (maybe 2022), do you think there is a potential  candidate there from Africa, maybe Nairobi/Kenya?

CapeTown 2022? I wouldn't have thought they'd be equipped for a Winter Games! LOL.

But anyway, to answer your question _ Nairobi could not possibly host a games as it is at the moment. Take it from someone who has been there, the city is poor, crime and corruption-ridden, the country has virtually no infrastructure and has no money to build up that infrastructure. I know that because of Kenya's great Olympic legacy it is a perennial favourite in many quarters, including a lot of GamesBidder, to host the games, but barring an economic miracle in the next few decades it would be hard pressed to organise a regional athletics meet.

If you're looking at other African possibilities, you're basically limited to other cities in South Africa (Johannesburg, Durban) or maybe up in north Africa. Morocco is often cited as a possibility. Cairo is like Nairobi (though not as in dire straights), another perennial popular favourite but in reality not up to it yet.

Marrakesh is probably the most developed city in Morocco, but I still wouldn't think it was anywhere near Olympic host capabilities, the infrastructure just wouldn't be up to all those extra people, and there is still a certain amount of poverty evident.  Morocco's a beautiful country though.  Never been to Cairo but there will be problems there too I'm sure.

Secured passageway would link U.S. to Tijuana airport

By Diane Lindquist

UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

January 24, 2006

A group of San Diego business leaders is reviving efforts to develop a cross-border terminal on Otay Mesa that would connect with the Tijuana airport by way of a secured tunnel or overhead walkway.

Leading the effort is local real estate magnate Malin Burnham, who said the idea of the cross-border terminal fits with efforts to bring the 2016 Summer Olympics to the binational area.

Rest of Article

IMO, the USOC won't vote for a binational bid. I think it's an interesting idea, but realistically, unplausable.

Archived