Dubai - Tokyo - Chicago

Mikel

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you think, Chicago is the right US candidate for 2016? They have the infrastructure and money, but ....

No, the righ US candidate is NEW YOR CITY :)

Do you think, Chicago is the right US candidate for 2016? They have the infrastructure and money, but ....

Well, it's true that Chicago doesn't have the international cachet of New York, or even San Francisco, but still it's, well, Chicago and I'm sure most of us from outside the US realise that after NYC it's really America's second great city. I'd certainly have no complaints about it being chosen.

Well, it's true that Chicago doesn't have the international cachet of New York, or even San Francisco, but still it's, well, Chicago and I'm sure most of us from outside the US realise that after NYC it's really America's second great city. I'd certainly have no complaints about it being chosen.

Isn't Los Angeles the second city of the US in importance? I like also Los Angeles, is 6th in my list of 'Favourite cities of the world'  :)

Isn't Los Angeles the second city of the US in importance? I like also Los Angeles, is 6th in my list of 'Favourite cities of the world'  :)

m, LA is 2nd in terms of population; and because of its media/film-heavy concentration, gets its importance to "2nd place" highly exaggerated; also because it is the biggest city in the most populous state, California.  But in terms of a solid 'heavy' industry base, and a Manhattan-like physical concentration of money and corporate Hquarters, I think Chicago comes in #2.  

Chicago's population is a little behind LA's, but CHicago has the other financial markets (the Futures Trading markets for one) after the main stock exchanges of NYC.  (Perhaps LA84 -- dang! that moniker is so confusing here -- can fill us in a little more since he's a native Chicago boy.)

My opinion is that Chicago has excellent chances to be the US candidate after the last not very convincing bid of NYC for 2012. The don´t have a clue how to finance the Games and where and when to build up a new venue. Any other candidate would have no chance for the IOC. So that´s why I think Chicago will be next candidate. NYC Bid for 2012 was not very professional and I think they had a little game with evaluation committee of IOC. Next candidate for 2016 will be Chicago, so I think.

My opinion is that Chicago has excellent chances to be the US candidate after the last not very convincing bid of NYC for 2012. The don´t have a clue how to finance the Games and where and when to build up a new venue. Any other candidate would have no chance for the IOC. So that´s why I think Chicago will be next candidate. NYC Bid for 2012 was not very professional and I think they had a little game with evaluation committee of IOC. Next candidate for 2016 will be Chicago, so I think.

No because in a duel between Tokyo and Chicago will win Tokyo and in a duel between Tokyo and NYC could be two things: a tie or a victory of NYC. :upside:

ok, the makes no sense NYC was game, NYC wanted the games and had one of the best bids if you do not rember if not for the stadium we could have won, and we were in the top 3 of London and Paris. NYC has not shown commital to 2016 because the city is going through some changes which after tonight count NYC in for 2016 with Bloomberg's re-election

ok, the makes no sense NYC was game, NYC wanted the games and had one of the best bids if you do not rember if not for the stadium we could have won, and we were in the top 3 of London and Paris. NYC has not shown commital to 2016 because the city is going through some changes which after tonight count NYC in for 2016 with Bloomberg's re-election

You weren't in the top 3 in shortlist (Paris, Madrid and London) and you weren't in the top 3 in Singapore (London, Paris and Madrid), so... :rolleyes:

What do you think about San Francisco? Is this the better choice than Chicago (or NYC)?

As a non-US poster, I'll say San Francisco sure has the beauty and the profile. Going by what the US posters have said here in the past (including the Bay Area inhabitants) it just doesn't have the proper plans.

What do you think about San Francisco? Is this the better choice than Chicago (or NYC)?

As a non-US poster, I'll say San Francisco sure has the beauty and the profile. Going by what the US posters have said here in the past (including the Bay Area inhabitants) it just doesn't have the proper plans.

I would say NYC :;):  :)

I´m pretty sure, and this is my opinion only, that the candidates for the shortlist will be Dubai - Tokyo - Chicago. NYC will fail against Chicago. Madrid is a strong candidate but after London 2012 there is no chance before 2020 or 2024 like Sofia or others.

I´m pretty sure, and this is my opinion only, that the candidates for the shortlist will be Dubai - Tokyo - Chicago. NYC will fail against Chicago. Madrid is a strong candidate but after London 2012 there is no chance before 2020 or 2024 like Sofia or others.

Sofia for Summer? :oo:

Why not Sofia for summer? If I didn´t know Sofia my first thought would be Sofia is bidding for the Summer Games as the climate is very mild. If not for 2016 maybe for 2020 or 2024 it would be a possible candidate. IOC will give the games to countries/regions which never had Games, in the future.

Regarding Dubai: see

Dubai, United Arab Emirates (According to March 1, 2004 Report)

I think they will wait after the Asian Games in Doha 2006 and then will decide after the experience they´ve made there. But they have the money and the venue etc to host the games

1st- Sofia hasn't expressed their intention to bid for the Summer Games.

2nd- Dubai hasn't the infrastructure to host the Games.

:rolleyes:

Why not Sofia for summer? If I didn´t know Sofia my first thought would be Sofia is bidding for the Summer Games as the climate is very mild. If not for 2016 maybe for 2020 or 2024 it would be a possible candidate. IOC will give the games to countries/regions which never had Games, in the future.

All that you say is right, but maybe in 10-15 years

For now - the 2014 bid of Sofia

But better not to talk about Sofia's Summer chances, that's off topic

About 2016:

Dubai - have the will and the money, but no infrastructure, so realistically in 2024

Tokyo - better chances than Dubai, but a lot of problems

Chicago - my favourite! They simply are the best bid so far, correspond with the rotation principle of the IOC (if there is such)

But I think there are many more candidates for 2016, more to come

See here:

http://www.oddschecker.com/betting....9

A fun list, but a lot of options are possible

Ah, zeneca!

Apart from that vague news report in March last year, the ONLY ones who seem to be boosting Dubai's hopes are a handful of people on this borad. Dubai has expressed NO official interest in bidding for 2016, and even if they did, all the money they could throw at it would not get around the fact that they are in too politically volatile a region for them to host and the IOC aren't going to award the games to a country whose sole moment of Olympic glory was winning a gold medal in shooting. Case closed.

(anyway, going by your frantic worries about Salzburg and Munich, by your formula any city that wants to have a chance to win 2016 should have started planning 50 years ago, have their full bid book out now and be holding daily major announcements already)

I accept NYC, that´s not the problem. But I don´t think USOC will decide a second time for NYC as they have lost the last bid and I think NYC has passed it´s chance. There are a lot of other US candidates like Chicago, LA, San Francisco etc.

Regarding my worries: My intention is that one of the cities: Salzburg 2014 or Munich 2018 will get the Games. That´s why I try to push these people.

Archived