Dubai - Tokyo - Chicago

Mikel

After London 2012 it´s up to America or Asia to get the Games 2016. My opinion is that Dubai, Tokyo and Chicago will have the best chances to get into the final round. These cities have all the necessary infrastructure and the necessary budget to do the job. As the decision is in July 2009 (deadline 2007) the decision should be very clear. The three named cities will have best chances. Dubai will have finished all venues until 2007, and the both other cities are also not far away from that status. These are very good prerequisitions for a successfull bid.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tokyo offers nothing special

dubai wont make top five....

No way that the IOC would want to answer the heat for picking a city that built its venues on slave wages.

Not to mention the lack of sporting history in the UAE let alone the region. This does influence the IOC. what about sporting culture?? after london 2012 u seriously thinking dubai????

The UAE is a small country. The IOC would rather give it to bigger markets and bigger populations when possiable.

The games would have to be heald in the winter, spring, or fall which the almighty networks do not care for.(unless you had EVERY venue under a dome but then what would the point of having all the games under cover for a summer games?)

If the IOC does make inroads to the Mid-East it would rather in countries like Turkey or Iran who have some world sporting history. stadiums and venues wont win you the games....

as for chicago, i dont see the excitement i would firmly be behind a new york bid unless rio or buenos aires were tobid...

There's also the Pyeongchang factor. If they manage to win 2014 (it has to be said that they're the definite favourites) then Asia is probably out of the running for 2016.

Remember, continental rotation isn't official, but it is desirable for the IOC to paint the OGs as a "worldwide" institution. As London is hosting 2012, that _in theory_ rules out Salzburg, Jaca and probably Sofia straight-away. Almaty and Sochi might stand better chances because the former USSR is like a continent in its own right. But Pyeongchang is the only major Asian city bidding and, with 2012 in Europe, it's hard to see why the IOC would reject a bid, as long as it's a strong one.

That leaves Asia out of 2016, which will not be held in Europe either (because of 2012) this means that it's probably between the Americas and the "New Frontiers" should any have the capability to bid.

Do you remember who got OC´s in the past? Cities like Lillehammer or Albertville which populations about 50,000 people. As you said the IOC wants to act as a global party so they surely want to give the Games also to "unusual" countries and cities. Every country/city has is pro´s and con´s. I think this is part of the Olympic ghost. We have poor and rich cities and countries on our planet. We have to live with this fact. To say Dubai´s venues are built of slave wages is not true. UAE invests a lot of it´s money into international sport etc. Cities like Buenos Aires or Rio may be much more attractive, that´s true. But on the other side you have to look on the huge problems. They have no investors, never had in the last decades, to push economy. The political situation will be  before the sole decition of the IOC. Have a look at the continent Africa: the only country able to get OG´s is South Africa. Other African countries would need an incredible amount (not only of money) of support to get into a position to do so. So IOC must have a look where the investors are. You should also keep in mind, that the IOC´s role is to set up peaceful games which should union the whole world (and if it´s only for a few weeks). This also reduces possible bid countries. By the way: Cape Town would also be a great candidate (after 2010 football championships).

Dubai's one of those places that gets mentioned here regularlyy as a potential host _ based basically on its economy and the fact that it builds all sort of expensive, crazy structures.

But what's the real deal? Has Dubai ever officially expressed any interest in landing the games? Has it even had any interest in going after the Asian Games (Doha's the next one there so I guess even if it wanted them, Dubai would have to wait for a while)?

It's all very well for us to say they could do it, but do they want to do it?

Dubai's one of those places that gets mentioned here regularlyy as a potential host _ based basically on its economy and the fact that it builds all sort of expensive, crazy structures.

But what's the real deal? Has Dubai ever officially expressed any interest in landing the games? Has it even had any interest in going after the Asian Games (Doha's the next one there so I guess even if it wanted them, Dubai would have to wait for a while)?

It's all very well for us to say they could do it, but do they want to do it?

Never mind that the UAE doesn't have any active IOC members that I'm aware of to promote such a venture.

How can any sane, contemporary mind think of holding a 21st Century sports meet or Olympics where at any moment during a female athletic event some zealots will run across the field or pool and attack a female athlete?  If that insane, defrocked Irish priest had been able to run across a race track or shove that male Brazilian marathoner in Athens last summer, how can you stop possibly dozens of even more sociopathic Arab/moslem men from going on a rampage during the Synchronized Swimming gold medal event?  

Enough with these stupid musings about placing an Olympics in some Arabic/moslem country.  (Doha may be the exception.  But we'll see what will happen there.)  THe thing is, it's not like there are NO OTHER parts of the world that want to host the Games.  So why should the IOC even consider such "class X' cities?

As it is written in the Olympic Charta that there has no country the right to eliminate any other country from the Games. I think that would be a big scandal, that´s true. Dubai has several million tourists every year and it should be save there. A lot of International companies have subsidiaries there. In Doha there are Asian Games next year plus a lot of other sport events (F1, tennis, golf, beach volleyball, horse races etc.). Dubai is established in International sports. Every month there happens something in sport there.

As it is written in the Olympic Charta that there has no country the right to eliminate any other country from the Games. I think that would be a big scandal, that´s true. Dubai has several million tourists every year and it should be save there. A lot of International companies have subsidiaries there. In Doha there are Asian Games next year plus a lot of other sport events (F1, tennis, golf, beach volleyball, horse races etc.). Dubai is established in International sports. Every month there happens something in sport there.

Uhmmm, yeah -- Olympic Charter.  :rolleyes: Do you think Black September, al Qaeda, Hamas, the Puppy-Krow Liberation Army would respect the Olympic Charter?  They would spit on it.  

Where do you think Saudi Arabia, the Arab Emirates get a lot of their foreign workers?  A lot from Pakistan -- who are moslems.  I would have no problem if all the foreign workers imported into the UAE and Bahrain were Filipino Christians because they would cause no problems.  But even Filipino OWs (Overseas workers) have to be vetted so that no Aby Sayyaf moslems would slip in there.  

Let's wait and see how Doha will manage the sports with women in bikini and bathing suits.

Somehow I think the IOC would be more impressed if the good billionaire burghers of Dubai, not to mention the rest of its citizens, actually wanted to bid for and host the games, rather than the enthuiastic support of an internet forum whose members want to award it to them by acclamation.

I think Dubai is like Singapore _ they are more interested in making money than lose it on organising glitzy carnivals. If the Games started turning a buck for its hosts again, then they may start to get interested.

If Dubai really want to host the Games they have to improve their security standard, that´s very clear. OG´s should be a place for friends, for peace and freedom, against terrorism and rassism. This has to be discussed on a round table. Not all Moslems are terrorists . So this could be a chance to show the world that they also want to live in peace, together with the rest of the world.

Perhaps interesting to take a look at the sporting history of the UAE? The first (and only) gold medal in Athens.......I think the IOC have to take into account what the sporting-legacy is......

Hardly no women athletics from the organising country would take part and the IOC won't like that?

My opinion is that it doesn´t matter if they have a lot of medals or not. There are a lot of countries which joined OG´s since nearly hundred years without any remarkable success. That should not be the major point of discussion for IOC. All countries should have the chance to join, and to host, the Games. All countries should be united in the Games, nevertheless where they come from. It´s like the whole world on one place.

If Dubai really want to host the Games...

That's the BIG question: IF.  I've never heard any legitimate Dubai entity express any interest in hosting anything of the magnitude of the Olympics.  So:

1.  why are we discussing it then?

2.  Maybe they realize the awesome responsibility and realize they DON'T want to do it;

3.  Zenica, you're far too idealistic.  I think you should get more immersed in the realities of the world.  Read today's lead GB article on concerns for terrorism in London.  It's easy to say "...in a perfect world.."  But it's not.

Dubai? :laugh:  :D Of course not!!! If they don't let some Western citizens enter to the country why should us let them prepare a Games?

Chicago? No, I prefer NYC

Tokyo? 8 years after Beijing? No! (And don't give me this comparison: Athens-London, because Europe isn't Asia. Europe has had a lot of consecutive Games in its History). :upside:

My opinion is that it doesn´t matter if they have a lot of medals or not. There are a lot of countries which joined OG´s since nearly hundred years without any remarkable success. That should not be the major point of discussion for IOC. All countries should have the chance to join, and to host, the Games. All countries should be united in the Games, nevertheless where they come from. It´s like the whole world on one place.

Actually, a country's past and present sporting strength and legacy is a big factor that the IOC likes to take into account. The IOC likes the games to be a success within the hosting country andd that means tthe ability for the home team to realistically expect to get some gold medals.

It´s also in the sense of the IOC to give the Games to countries who never had OG´s. There are a lot of countries which permanently get the Games. This doesn´t fit to the Olympic sense. It also brings the IOC more popularity and development to go the other way. Although it it necessary to fulfíll all important requirements like infrastructure, security etc.

It´s also in the sense of the IOC to give the Games to countries who never had OG´s. There are a lot of countries which permanently get the Games. This doesn´t fit to the Olympic sense. It also brings the IOC more popularity and development to go the other way. Although it it necessary to fulfíll all important requirements like infrastructure, security etc.

Because only a few countries can finance the Games... :rolleyes:

If Dubai really want to host the Games they have to improve their security standard, that´s very clear. OG´s should be a place for friends, for peace and freedom, against terrorism and rassism. This has to be discussed on a round table. Not all Moslems are terrorists . So this could be a chance to show the world that they also want to live in peace, together with the rest of the world.

R u sure you're not with any 'terrorist' organization, z?  Are you a Chechyan sympathizer?  It seems to me you want to have a large multinational Games in Dubai or thereabouts, to trap innnocent people in the name of 'utopian' sport, and then your group can hold them hostage.   :suspect:

I can see thru your wishes, z.  I have X-ray vision.   :suspect:

the world is big and the world is small also. If they have the right safety programs everything is ok. Nobody have to fear. Not only in Dubai also in USA. Let´s talk about OG´s not only about worst case scenarios (i.e. terrorists). IOC should have to do with sports etc. There are other organisations which have to care about terrorism. And: how long does OG´s normally last?

Archived