Budapest 2016/2020

Campaign Launched For A Budapest 2016 Or 2020 Olympic Bid

Posted 12:08 pm ET (GamesBids.com)

The Associated Press reports that a group of Hungarian sports figures, businessmen and media personalities launched a campaign Monday to gather support for Budapest to bid for the 2016 or 2020 Summer Olympic Games.

The movement, established Thursday, also includes the biggest companies listed on the Budapest Stock Exchange.

Two years ago the government decided to refrain from bidding for the 2012 Summer Games saying the cost would have put an unbearable strain on the country’s budget. But Monday the VIPs forming the Budapest Olympic Movement said it was crucial for the country’s future that Budapest hosts the Olympics.

Budapest Stock Exchange president Attila Szalay-Berzeviczy said, “the first country to host the Olympics in Central Europe will become the leading country for decades to come”.

The Hungarian Olympic Committee will decide if Budapest does bid for the Games. It’s president Pal Schmitt is listed as one of the members of the new group.

Representatives of the Budapest Olympic Movement said the city’s Olympic bid was also essential in light of similar plans by Prague, Budapest’s main competitor in attracting tourists to the region.

According to the Budapest Olympic Movement Hungary is the only country among the 11 founders of the modern Olympic movement, which has yet to host the Games.

Price Waterhouse figures the Olympic Games would cost Ft 3500 billion, Ft 720 billion to be spent exclusively on the event - one per cent of the budget’s ten years of preparation, reports the Budapest Business Journal.

Okay, I've never been to Budapest, so I'm not sure how they'd stack-up against strong competition, but of all the central European countries, it is the one that appeals to me most as a future Olympic host because of its extremely strong Olympic heritage (and they're still no slouches at the games)?

And for many of the reasons the article mentions, they could mount a good emotional argument to counter the claims of bigger bidders like Paris, Rome and Berlin.

So does anyone who has any first-hand knowledge know if they're up to it by 2020 (2016 is, of course, too soon, especially for a European bid in general)

I have never visited Hungary but it does seem that they have a strong case with regards to their history at the Olympics.  I don't have a map in front of me, but as far as I'm aware Hungary is landlocked - would this affect a future bid?  This would mean they would have to use a neighbouring country for the sailing events.  I suppose Melbourne had their equestrian events in Stockholm so maybe this wouldn't be an issue - sailing events are rarely close to the host city anyway.  

There seems to be a lot of European interest in the Olympics at the moment.

As viable as a Budapest bid might be, it'll all depend on how 2016 plays out and WHICH of the other 2016-2020 bidding cities are.  

I still say this is how it's going to play out:

2016 - supposedly No. America - the US

2020 - that'll definitely be between Cape Town and Rio

2024 - another European free-for-all - strongest would be Paris, Berlin and Moscow.  

THe SUmmer Games would tend to favor the larger countries.

I have never visited Hungary but it does seem that they have a strong case with regards to their history at the Olympics.  I don't have a map in front of me, but as far as I'm aware Hungary is landlocked - would this affect a future bid?  This would mean they would have to use a neighbouring country for the sailing events.  I suppose Melbourne had their equestrian events in Stockholm so maybe this wouldn't be an issue - sailing events are rarely close to the host city anyway.  

There seems to be a lot of European interest in the Olympics at the moment.

A good point _ that's the big question. Dosn't Hungary have a big lake, Lake Balaton? Would that be capable? Otherwise, yes, would the IOC split the games in such a case?

ohhh, I'd love to see Budapest host. Hungary have always done quite well at the olympics. Never been to Hungary but would love to.

Has Olympic sailing ever been held on a lake rather than open sea before?

I think the Montreal 1976 sailing events were held at Kingston on Lake Ontario but that is one huge lake. Sailing events could be held in Croatia maybe.

It's surprising that the sailing issue has never come up before (well, we have discussed it here when speculating on Prague's chances as well).

Has Olympic sailing ever been held on a lake rather than open sea before?

Yes.  We did discuss it.  Somebody found some strange lake farther away.  Of course, Switzerland has to "borrow" Valencia for its America's Cup race, so I guess these land-locked countries can do the same.  But, again, the idea of these Eastern European countries may be romantic, ultimately, if you have a Tier "A" city bidding (Tokyo, Paris, New York, Rio), those would be the favorites.

I was in budapest for 6 times. It is a nice city, but Prague is niceer -in my opinion.

I also spent my holiday very often in the "lake Balaton" region. The like is quiet large. So it could be used for sailing.

By the way, Moscow also planed to host the sailing competitions at a lake in the north of moscow.

Budapest could be a good contender, yes. If they decide to bid for 2020, then we've more possibilities of a 2020 European Olympic Games  :P Rome, Madrid, Budapest, and more coming. So: NO CAPE TOWN IN 2020. :upside:

mikel arent you being a bit irrational? certainly europe wont get the games as soon as 2020? do you really think budapest even stand a chance...shouldnt IOC members first be made aware of where it is? madrids chances are better in 2024...what do you think mikel?

what do you think mikel?

That's a new word to him.  He doesn't think.  He reacts.

Yes.

Much like this:

"Madrid is the most beautiful city in the world! No other city can match Madrid! We have the Casa de Bobos, Piscina del Burros, and, last but not least, El Museo de Retrasados! Bow down to Madrid! Madrid will host every major international event every single year for the rest of humanity!"

And then something in Spanish like:

"Yo estoy cansados porque no me gusta frijoles" or something.

And then a smiley that doesn't relate to the situation like:  :idea:

what do you think mikel?

That's a new word to him.  He doesn't think.  He reacts.

Yes.

Much like this:

"Madrid is the most beautiful city in the world! No other city can match Madrid! We have the Casa de Bobos, Piscina del Burros, and, last but not least, El Museo de Retrasados! Bow down to Madrid! Madrid will host every major international event every single year for the rest of humanity!"

And then something in Spanish like:

"Yo estoy cansados porque no me gusta frijoles" or something.

And then a smiley that doesn't relate to the situation like:  :idea:

And what about you and your baronitis? You're the little puppy of baron... :rolleyes:

In Spain we don't eat frijoles... these kind of things are eating in Mexico, so shut up if you don't know the Spanish traditions, little fool!

:wink:

In Canada there are cities like Medejaoelagua  (Mississauga), Toytonto (Toronto), Vaelcura (Vancouver) and Otragua (Ottawa).... :glare:

• 2 weeks later...

Friday December 16, 2005

Budapest Business Journal  

Budapest mayor backs bid to host 2020 Olympics

Budapest Mayor Gábor Demszky yesterday said he supported the grassroots initiative that the city should organize the Summer Olympic Games in 2020. Meeting the activists of the Budapest Olympic Movement (BOM), Demszky noted that the city had backed the government's idea to bid for the 2012 games but at that time there was little hope for raising sufficient money and developing an appropriate infrastructure for the ambitious project. This time, however, the mayor sees a good chance for creating satisfactory conditions for the Olympics. Demszky and the activists said it would be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for Budapest to host the first Olympics in this region.

The fifteen companies which founded the Budapest Olympic Movement (BOM) last month, an association to improve Hungary's chances for hosting the Olympic Games in either 2016 or 2020, have said they will provide financial, as well as moral support for the initiative. "A lot of workplaces would be created in connection to the Olympics: 500 km of motorways and roads, 25 km of underground and suburban rail lines and 3

bridges would be built. These should be built anyway, as soon as possible," said Attila Szalay-Berzeviczy, president of the Budapest Stock Exchange and head of BOM.

Budapest - another one that will fall by the wayside.

Yes....But it will fall after the usual boring US-candidate-city has fallen...

And the satisfaction of imagine your "face" in that moment is priceless !!!!

:wwww:  :wwww:  :wwww:

At least it is fine to se as you've found a friend (Mo Rush).... :wwww:

Adios...and "by the shadow"....

Y ahora, me voy a ver Si cago (Chicago)... :wwww:

At least it is fine to se as you've found a friend (Mo Rush).... :wwww:

Y ahora, me voy a ver Si cago (Chicago)... :wwww:

:wwww:  :laughlong:  :D  :laugh:

At least it is fine to se as you've found a friend (Mo Rush)....

Y ahora, me voy a ver Si cago (Chicago)...

Oy!  The 2nd Spanish  troll is back.   :rolleyes:

And actually, we didn't miss u.  But there's also Ice Narcissus as well, and Olympia.  Anyway, you're already made a jackass of yourself again, Rmu.    :rolleyes:

At least it is fine to se as you've found a friend (Mo Rush)....

Y ahora, me voy a ver Si cago (Chicago)...

Oy!  The French troll is back.   :rolleyes:

And actually, we didn't miss u.  But there's also Ice Narcissus as well, and Olympia.  Anyway, you're already made a jackass of yourself again, Rmu.    :rolleyes:

Je ne suis pas français...Moi, je suis espagnol....

But in your case, it's easy to understand why you don't remeber:

Living in such a hostile environment (as you require) the whole day, looking each day for new enemies, has it's negative consequences on the brain...

It's still not too late - Look for (medical) help.

Rgds.

And my Saludos/Greetings are going to Budapest...Probably one of the most beautifull cities in Europe.

You mean like the same look that Paris had after it lost to London  :laughlong:  :D  :laugh:

Archived