Annecy 2018

That's not true. Cultural diversity in Europe is far larger than in the US. A country like France or Germany can display much more difference in atmosphere and culture than the US, even being 10 times smaller in area. By the way, some of this regions might not even speak what is known as French and German as far as a century ago. Piedmont, where Torino is, has absolutely nothing to do with Savoie. However, culturally speaking, Savoie and Haute Savoie are quite similar, despite Annecy being kind of unique in terms of atmosphere.

Despite its continental size, the US is not very diverse culturally. This is probably a consequence of most part of the country being colonized only after the 19th century, after the 13 colonies expanded westward. On the other hand, European regions developed independently for several centuries developing its own differences along time. Germany was only unified in 1871, until then the regions that formed it were kind of independent from each other.

I'm not disputing that. In fact, this subject has been discussed many times over in the past here.

Yes, Europe is very, very diverse compared to the United States, but when we're taking just ONE of the many countries in Europe & then disecting it even further (i.e. Chamonix, Grenoble, Albertville, Annecy) that argument starts to lose it's value.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not disputing that. In fact, this subject has been discussed many times over in the past here.

Yes, Europe is very, very diverse compared to the United States, but when we're taking just ONE of the many countries in Europe & then disecting it even further (i.e. Chamonix, Grenoble, Albertville, Annecy) that argument starts to lose it's value.

I see your point but what I would say is that winter regions are very specific in the USA aswell, and so they only represent certain and specific cultures.

I agree about the comments regarding Annecy and how it is not really so vastly different from Alertville etc.

I see your point but what I would say is that winter regions are very specific in the USA aswell, and so they only represent certain and specific cultures.

I agree about the comments regarding Annecy and how it is not really so vastly different from Alertville etc.

Agreed, for the Winter Olympics the areas that can host them are specific, regionally. But the French here, are saying that they're different when it comes to the French Alps. And that maybe so, but again, to the complete outsider not in France, or even in Europe for that matter, there isn't much difference. There would be much, much more of a contrast, internationally speaking, with Munich hosting than Annecy (being down the street from Albertville, the last French Winter host), even though they're both in the Alps.

That's not true. Cultural diversity in Europe is far larger than in the US. A country like France or Germany can display much more difference in atmosphere and culture than the US, even being 10 times smaller in area. By the way, some of this regions might not even speak what is known as French and German as far as a century ago. Piedmont, where Torino is, has absolutely nothing to do with Savoie. However, culturally speaking, Savoie and Haute Savoie are quite similar, despite Annecy being kind of unique in terms of atmosphere.

And I would disagree with your remark. You’re underestimating the VAST differences among cultures in the US. Cultural diversity in the US in enormous even when based on area and population, let alone taking into account the different ethnic groups who contributed in their own way into making the USA what it is today. It’s too easy to paint the US as devoid of cultures relative to an Old World country when it’s simply not true.

And to put things in perspective, look at South Korea. The entire country is mountains. Before roads and the media, there was a world of difference between the different towns, villages and regions in that country. There’s a reason why 60 year old women in Jeju are some of the best divers in the world, why Andong soju (Korean alcohol) tastes so much better than soju made in other towns, and why the Jeolla region has a higher concentration of Korean-style traditional homes and is leading the way in green and environmentally-sound growth. And the reasons for these are historical, geographical and tribal, and go back centuries. And that’s not even taking into account the northern half of the Korean peninsula.

But I wouldn’t expect the average European or African to know all that. Korea is just as culturally diverse as France and Germany, even if you’re not aware of that. But can you imagine the reaction I’d get here if I tried to point out the differences between Jeolla and Gangwon, or Seoul and Busan? Or if I suggested that a Busan Olympics would have a totally different feel for the average Korean than the Seoul Olympics did? It’s hard enough for people in other countries to distinguish between Korea and Japan, let alone among different Korean regions. Are you willing to admit you wouldn’t see much of a difference between a Seoul and Busan Olympics, or a Pyeongchang and Muju Olympics, even if the difference would be clear-cut to Koreans? So would you at least understand if non-French people would make the argument that an Albertville and an Annecy Olympics (or any Alps-related Olympics) wouldn’t be all that different, in the grand scope of things?

Well, that's your opinion. I personally lived fantastic Olympic Games, sorry you didn't!

But of course, a frenchman could never enjoy Italian Olympic Games, that's for sure...

And how can you be so sure about the atmosphere in Annecy? Like Albertville? Well,in that case great for sure....

I do not talk about atmosphere on venues at events time, but the one in the city... I lived in Torino before the Games... I live in Torino at Games Times during 2 monthes... and I could guarantee you that there was no olympic spirit around the street like I met in Albertville, Sydney or Beijing !

Torino (except the usual border of the Po) & Sestriere were so quiet at night... with so few italian enjoying fully the games experience !

Can't believe you are comparing the two. Athens had a great atmosphere for me. Torino didn't.

Athens ??? Did you manage to meet greek people around the street enjoying the games... i only met French, English, Americans & Netherlanders having fun in Placa, Homonia & on the riviera !

I stay 3 weeks in Athens at Games Time and I had personnaly a great time enjoying the events and the nights by myself with my friends... but i had a lack of contact with locals and a lack a spontaneous fun due to atmosphere...

And Pyeongchang doesn't have much (or any) of a ski culture, but at least they have a much better skating tradition that France... The WOG aren't JUST skiing, eh...

If anything, if we where voting purely on atmosphere we might as well give the games to the Germans and all go home. I personally think that only the Norwegians can rival the Germans for there love of winter sports.

That's for sure, regarding the atmosphere that we will have on venues, espcially the biathlon, it will be unique in Munich.

But regarding what will happen in the city i am scared ! I know both city (Munich & Annecy) and will prefer to go around in annecy because of the beauty of the city but mainly because of the size... Munich is too big... it's time for winter olympic games to return in city with human size to enjoy fully the olympic spirit and games atmosphere.

@ memorabilia,

when I read the discussions here if the atmosphere in Annecy would be the same like in Albertville 92' or that the atmosphere in Annece would be much better than in Albertville, I got a question into my mind: why did the French NOC bid with Albertville for 1992 and not with Annecy?

yes people in Annecy & Albertville are the same. No discussion on that.

But the cities are totally different... No charm in Albertville itself !!! That's not the case in Annecy... you have the lack, the old city, the canals .... Annecy is internationally called "The venice of the alps" :rolleyes:

@ memorabilia,

when I read the discussions here if the atmosphere in Annecy would be the same like in Albertville 92' or would it much better than in Albertville, I got a question into my mind: why did the French NOC bid with Albertville for 1992 and not with Annecy?

Because Albertville is in Savoie (not Haute-Savoie as Annecy....)

Because of 2 men : Jean-Claude Killy (the former champion from Val d'Isere - SAVOIE) & Michel Barnier (Deputy of SAVOIE)...

So at that time in the beginning of the 80's, those 2 men understood all the benefits that would gain their department (Savoie) on public transportation, public infrastructures, tourism & sport development !!!

So they pushed for their department and convince the French NOC (that usually was passive regarding bids...).

Annecy copied Albertville at the beginning of the new century, with some young people from the Haute-Savoie Chamber of Commerce wishing to host the Games in 2014....

Because Albertville is in Savoie (not Haute-Savoie as Annecy....)

Because of 2 men : Jean-Claude Killy (the former champion from Val d'Isere - SAVOIE) & Michel Barnier (Deputy of SAVOIE)...

So at that time in the beginning of the 80's, those 2 men understood all the benefits that would gain their department (Savoie) on public transportation, public infrastructures, tourism & sport development !!!

So they push for their department and convince the French NOC (that usually was passive regarding bids...).

Annecy copied Albertville at the beginning of the new century, with some young people from the Haute-Savoie Chamber of Commerce wishing to host the Games in 2014....

mmhh - do you think that France should have bidded with Annecy instead with Albertville, since Annecy offers a better atmoshpere than Albertville?

Wasnt there any interests of Annecy in the 80's to bid?

yes people in Annecy & Albertville are the same. No discussion on that.

But the cities are totally different... No charm in Albertville itself !!! That's not the case in Annecy... you have the lack, the old city, the canals .... Annecy is internationally called "The venice of the alps" :rolleyes:

I am just browsing some websites of Annecy and it reminds me a lot on Luzern in Switzerland - very nice indeed...

mmhh - do you think that France should have bidded with Annecy instead with Albertville, since Annecy offers a better atmoshpere than Albertville?

Wasnt there any interests of Annecy in the 80's to bid?

I don't know what was in mind of people in Annecy at that time, and if they had some wish to bid, i was only 10yo !

But regarding the national interest, it was more interesting to go in Savoie to develop and modernize the areas (Isere (Grenoble) had their time in 1968 and Haute-Savoie was already a huge tourism destination (because of Chamonix, Megeve, Mont-Blanc) and had transport infrastructure because of the proximity of Geneva).

Nowdays, it's time to Haute-Savoie to try to get the benefits of the Games (Isere tried to as nowdays 1968 is part of history !)

Torino (except the usual border of the Pau) & Sestriere were so quiet at night... with so few italian enjoying fully the games experience !

OK, but please tell me who were all those tens of thousands of people who crowded the Medals Plaza (Piazza Castello) and surroundings every night for the medal ceremonies, concerts and fireworks?

I'm sure most of them were "torinesi". I saw the people making long queues to get their tickets for the ceremonies before the Games started.

Torino is a big city so of course everything was concentrated in the center of the city. I think it's normal.

BTW, what do you mean by "the usual border of the Pau"?

Torino is a big city so of course everything was concentrated in the center of the city. I think it's normal.

May be it's normal, but personally i think Winter Games should not be like this. I just love to walk along the street of a city and feel everywhere the olympic spirit ! We had that in Sydney & Beijing... but I did not feel it in Athens & Torino. Hope i will feel it in Vancouver (a city I loved) but I'm not sure.

And I truly believe a city like Annecy (because of its size & their people devoted to mountains & sports) could do it....

BTW, what do you mean by "the usual border of the Pau"?

My mistake in spelling, i meant "Po". On the bank of the river near 'Vitorrio Emmanuele I' Bridge, you find most of the torino's clubs.

I don't know if people around the world could watch it, but let's try...

Here is a TV report from last Saturday on the French 1st TV network, TF1 : http://videos.tf1.fr/jt-we/zoom-sur-annecy-5043271.html

Presentation of the city, report about the 2018 bid, ...

A way to discover Annecy... Sorry only in French !

WOW, thanks very much for that video link, V.

it is a very nice introduction to Annecy - it is really a very nice little town!!!!

(I really wonder now why France chose Albertville back in the 80s)

Did I understand right, that the Olympic Village would be built outside of Annecy?

it is a very nice introduction to Annecy - it is really a very nice little town!!!!

Did I understand right, that the Olympic Village would be built outside of Annecy?

Yes in Princy, first suburbs of Annecy.

Ideally located next to an exit to the motorway for an easy access to mountains venues, and near of on the main street of Annecy (Avenue de Geneve) that link the village to the lack & other ice venues.

Annecy is indeed a beautiful city, one to visit whether or not the Games are held there.

one of the extra video links is on Toulouse, where I was two weeks ago when we talked, Martin.

http://videos.tf1.fr/jt-we/zoom-sur-toulouse-4761639.html

perhaps a candidature in its future ? the capital of the southwest, the Pyrenees are 1h30 from the city, a modern airport, about 1 million people in the area.... a city definitely on the up, but it would need to start building for that goal, as other cities have done.

That's funny, cuz I thought of Toulouse the other day as a possible winter candidate. Finally a good winter candidate for the Pyrenees, since Jaca/Zaragossa can't seem to get them. Plus, they're very small.

Toulouse is a perfect size for the Winter Olympics of today, & being able to bring them for the very first time to the Pyrenees would be great! New Mountain Winter Playground! Is Toulouse not interested? They'd be a great candidate.

I think that's not relevant today, they do not seem interested.

But why not, the games in the french Pyrénées would be great.

Toulouse is capable of hosting the games but for me the city is pretty far from ski resorts.

The city of Tarbes could be another option closer to the Pyrénées...

For now it's Annecy's turn :)

That's funny, cuz I thought of Toulouse the other day as a possible winter candidate. Finally a good winter candidate for the Pyrenees, since Jaca/Zaragossa can't seem to get them. Plus, they're very small.

Toulouse is a perfect size for the Winter Olympics of today, & being able to bring them for the very first time to the Pyrenees would be great! New Mountain Winter Playground! Is Toulouse not interested? They'd be a great candidate.

I don't think than Toulouse will have a bid for winter game, because it's not credible in france for Olympic winter games, it's too far from Pyrénée.

Nice or Gap are more credible for a future bid.

Archived