Annecy 2018

It will need both the Munich and Pyeongchang bids to implode somehow because right now Munich has the technical edge and Pyeongchang has the political edge.

Sorry but we have the technical Edge like munich, we have infrastruture like Munich even better I think.

France are more influant than Korean I think but it's too early to predict a result. If PC think win because loose twice, They loose another time, and if Munich think win just because the last time was in 1972 and 1936, they loose so.

It is very difficult to predict and the last Bids like Sotchi proves that!

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry but we have the technical Edge like munich, we have infrastruture like Munich even better I think.

France are more influant than Korean I think but it's too early to predict a result. If PC think win because loose twice, They loose another time, and if Munich think win just because the last time was in 1972 and 1936, they loose so.

It is very difficult to predict and the last Bids like Sotchi proves that!

Annecy does not have the same technical merit as Munich.

Most of Munich's venues are already built and have international pedigree. Munich also has one of the highest qualities of life for any city in the world with a world class infrastructure.

Problem for Annecy remains it is the most spread out bid. Probably will be the undoing unfortunately!

The distance beteewn each place are less important than Munich and Garmish or about the same than PC... And for the moment nothing are definitive, the final implatation will be revealed the 6 november. It's not realy spread, if you look distance it's not very far beteewn each place...

I think ANnency's biggest problem is obdurate supporters like Tulsa. If they cannot see the weaknesses of their bid, they are doomed to fail.

I'm not agree, we have some difficult, like skating... We must built area for this and for press, but each bid must built some installation... but For annecy Each ski resort are international standing, and only Munich has equivalent.

But many people on this forum critic Annecy bid but many people don't Know really Annecy bid and i try to give you the right information about Annecy and haute savoie... ANd we have better ski resort and infrastructure like PC for exemple, it's a true!.

Annecy does not have the same technical merit as Munich.

Most of Munich's venues are already built and have international pedigree. Munich also has one of the highest qualities of life for any city in the world with a world class infrastructure.

Most of Annecy venues are already built and have international pedigree so. For Alpin ski, snowbording, Nordic ski... Annecy has so the highest qualities of life for any city in the world. And we have a world class infrastructure, many highway, international airport about 20 min from Annecy, TGV... We have the best ski resort and Annecy and haute savoie are very famous in the world... It's a realty like Munich, but PC don't have this standing.

"France should have waited this one out, hoping that PC would take it home, & gone for 2022 in an attempt to mark the near centennial of Chamonix."

Well, how do we not really know that perhaps this is their strategy for exactly that. Using 2018 as a mere "warm-up" for a real shot at 2022, because most of us here know that 2018 is not very likely going to Annecy, unless both Munich & Pyeongchang really mess something up, which at this moment, is not in the cards.

Let's forget one moment the other difficulties of this bid (continental rotation, the nearness of the games of Albertville...) because we cannot change nothing to it.

I just want to say that we cannot ignore the fact that the Annecy's bid plan is too much spread out (look at the bid map). I think the project has to be simplified.

That's right, Annecy 2018 boasts a great variety of excellent ski resorts and fine sports facilities. But this application needs more coherence in the choice of sites and a reduction of the number of venues to be more competitive.

I really hope that the bid committee is going to improve this point.

Let's wait on November 6th...

I think ANnency's biggest problem is obdurate supporters like Tulsa. If they cannot see the weaknesses of their bid, they are doomed to fail.

:lol: True. I remember your opinions on New York 2012 and Chicago 2016 to be perfect examples of objectivity. lol

I never thought I'd be in this position again after 2012 - hoping for the failure of a French bid. I think France is one of the best places in the world, however, I want a Paris Summer Games!

The biggest obstacle of this bid for me are the Games in Albertville in 1992. Maybe I oversee something, but in my memory these Games were, at best, average. Annecy 2018 means we are going back to Albertville and not to Lillehammer. Dont mix it up.

I would really like the games to go to Annecy. It is by far the most pleasant option of all in terms of tourism. It is a beautiful mountain town. But, for continental rotation and the trend for the WOG to go to larger cities, I think Annecy is the dark horse on this one.

I never thought I'd be in this position again after 2012 - hoping for the failure of a French bid. I think France is one of the best places in the world, however, I want a Paris Summer Games!

Me too which is why I don't want an Annecy bid to spoil this possibility!

Also, Torino, just 4 years ago, offered the same Alpine (Savoie included) atmosphere that Albertville and Annency will provide. So how different can an Annency 2018 Games be?

That's true, there have been 4 WOGs in that particular zone of the Alps so far: Chamonix1924, Grenoble1968, Albertville1992 and Torino2006.

That's true, there have been 4 WOGs in that particular zone of the Alps so far: Chamonix1924, Grenoble1968, Albertville1992 and Torino2006.

It's not the same zone of the Alps... It's the south Alps and Annecy it's the north Alpes with Mont Blanc... For French people it's different and I think it's the same for Italian... But it's true it's not very far beteewn Annecy and Turin but, Munich it's the same type of candidature than Turin...

You are right, there are certain geographical similarities, all these games were held in same region of the Alps (by the way Garmisch is not so far from Innsbruck ;) ).

But I think Annecy, with its beautiful Lake, its canals and its human size providing a special atmosphere very different from the former host cties especially Torino and Grenoble.

And the Chamonix Valley provides an historical and cosmopolitan atmosphere (oldest ski resort, home of climbing, international notorious, third most visited natural site in the world...).

Geographically correct, but regarding the atmosphere... No way!!!! How could you compare Torino & Albertville and what it would be in Annecy !

There was no atmosphere in Torino... something like the Athens games !!!!

Geographically correct, but regarding the atmosphere... No way!!!! How could you compare Torino & Albertville and what it would be in Annecy !

There was no atmosphere in Torino... something like the Athens games !!!!

Well, that's your opinion. I personally lived fantastic Olympic Games, sorry you didn't!

But of course, a frenchman could never enjoy Italian Olympic Games, that's for sure...

And how can you be so sure about the atmosphere in Annecy? Like Albertville? Well,in that case great for sure....

And how can you be so sure about the atmosphere in Annecy? Like Albertville? Well,in that case great for sure....

I live in Annecy, I Know albertville and Grenoble and I was in Alberville in 1992, the atmosphere is very different beteewn this 2 cities, It's no similar. It's the same for Grenoble and there are very more different with Italia and Torino...

In Annecy the ski spirit is everywhere, lot of people are very fan of ski and snow. And Annecy has a sport culture very active. The first ski resort is 15 min from Annecy (Le semnoz)

I'm sure when I speak about atmosphere in Annecy!

Alpin spirit is more present in Annecy than Munich or PC, it's a certitude !

I live in Annecy, I Know albertville and Grenoble and I was in Alberville in 1992, the atmosphere is very different beteewn this 2 cities, It's no similar. It's the same for Grenoble and there are very more different with Italia and Torino...

In Annecy the ski spirit is everywhere, lot of people are very fan of ski and snow. And Annecy has a sport culture very active. The first ski resort is 15 min from Annecy (Le semnoz)

I'm sure when I speak about atmosphere in Annecy!

Alpin spirit is more present in Annecy than Munich or PC, it's a certitude !

Tulsa, to you and others around there, OF COURSE you will say it is different...but to the 100 or so people who will vote...they are ALL outsiders...and as lehari pointed out...all those 4 towns are within 100 miles of each other.

Bottom line: SAME ATMOSPHERE; nothing new.

You know, this "atmosphere" debate between the different French Alpine cities is so hysterical & hypocritical, to say the least. But yet some of you arguing the "differences" between the French towns are the same ones that would harp against any Games in the U.S. (depite being DIFFERENT cities in the U.S.) because it's still the same, it's in the U.S. Well, ya know what, Annecy is still French, just like Albertville & Grenoble is, & to the OUTSIDE person, it's the "same" thing, Annecy is still in France (& even Turin. Yeah, it's in Italy, but same general area).

And Pyeongchang doesn't have much (or any) of a ski culture, but at least they have a much better skating tradition that France... The WOG aren't JUST skiing, eh...

If anything, if we where voting purely on atmosphere we might as well give the games to the Germans and all go home. I personally think that only the Norwegians can rival the Germans for there love of winter sports.

You know, this "atmosphere" debate between the different French Alpine cities is so hysterical & hypocritical, to say the least. But yet some of you arguing the "differences" between the French towns are the same ones that would harp against any Games in the U.S. (depite being DIFFERENT cities in the U.S.) because it's still the same, it's in the U.S. Well, ya know what, Annecy is still French, just like Albertville & Grenoble is, & to the OUTSIDE person, it's the "same" thing, Annecy is still in France (& even Turin. Yeah, it's in Italy, but same general area).

That's not true. Cultural diversity in Europe is far larger than in the US. A country like France or Germany can display much more difference in atmosphere and culture than the US, even being 10 times smaller in area. By the way, some of this regions might not even speak what is known as French and German as far as a century ago. Piedmont, where Torino is, has absolutely nothing to do with Savoie. However, culturally speaking, Savoie and Haute Savoie are quite similar, despite Annecy being kind of unique in terms of atmosphere.

Despite its continental size, the US is not very diverse culturally. This is probably a consequence of most part of the country being colonized only after the 19th century, after the 13 colonies expanded westward. On the other hand, European regions developed independently for several centuries developing its own differences along time. Germany was only unified in 1871, until then the regions that formed it were kind of independent from each other.

If anything, if we where voting purely on atmosphere we might as well give the games to the Germans and all go home. I personally think that only the Norwegians can rival the Germans for there love of winter sports.

I'm sure the Koreans can give it some culture of their own. I still remember the images of Nagano and even tho I'm not a big lover of the Japanese character (too zen for me), those images of temples and torii gates in the snow are just so exotic. Why can't Korea be given the benefit of the doubt for that?

Archived