Annecy 2018

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Already in a former forum, the link to the French NOC video feed, that propose a replay of the day (March 18th 2009) of the election of the French Applicant City for the 2018 Winter Olympic Games : http://www.franceolympique.com/art/513-ret...requerante.html

20090318t125807z01apae5.jpg

And the winner is.... Annecy !

placardinternet2.jpg

No that its a small, not well-known city with a spread out plan. Exactly like Albertville.

Annecy is 3 times bigger than Albertville, and 100 times more active because of the localisation in almost the suburbs of Geneva

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annecy

For sure that's not SLC, Torino or Vancouver...

But do we need those giant cities to enjoy good games.... cities 100km away from moutains venues... with so few accomodation in moutains that you have to return to the city everyday to enjoy the games.....

Not sure !

Annecy is 3 times bigger than Albertville, and 100 times more active because of the localisation in almost the suburbs of Geneva

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annecy

For sure that's not SLC, Torino or Vancouver...

But do we need those giant cities to enjoy good games.... cities 100km away from moutains venues... with so few accomodation in moutains that you have to return to the city everyday to enjoy the games.....

Not sure !

Its not so much that there isn't accommodations but that what there is is being taken up by the IOC and journalist.

And a city the size of Vancouver is not able to coup with the accommodations problem, a city around 50x smaller is not gonna have an easy go of it.

• 3 months later...

logohumain2.jpg

On June the 23rd, for the Olympic Day, Annecy 2018 has announced the official creation of his bid committee.

The board is as follows :

- Co Chairman : Jean-Luc RIGAUT (Mayor of Annecy) & Denis MASSEGLIA (NOC president)

- Vice Chairman delegate : Christian MONTEIL (Haute Savoie president)

- Ambassador : Antoine DENERIAZ (2006 Downhill Olympic Champion)

How much support can Annecy really expect from the French government on this especially since Paris has its sights set on 2024?

100% support!

The French Governement will support each bid after each bid. And there is actually no plan for Games in Paris in 2024... no more than Berlin in 2020 or 2024 !!!

Personnaly, I think that a lot of IOC members would prefer Berlin instead of Paris to host SOG... so they will vote against Munich to open the way for Berlin... and reduce the power of an hypothetical Paris bid.....

Personnaly, I think that a lot of IOC members would prefer Berlin instead of Paris to host SOG... so they will vote against Munich to open the way for Berlin... and reduce the power of an hypothetical Paris bid.....

Thats probably the only reason to put Annecy over Munich! :P

Thats probably the only reason to put Annecy over Munich! :P

It could be one... another is that a lot of IOC members would love to have WINTER games back in the MOUNTAINS and not in the hearth of a megalopolis !

I would love to see Munich hosting again as first city, which hosted Summer and Winter Olympics, but I have to admit that I would prefer Summer Olympics in Berlin - the thesis of memorabilia is really interesting, since the same thesis would work with Annecy and Paris, when you start it with the presumption that the IOC prefers Paris than Berlin hosting Summer Olympics...

I think a disadvantage of Annecy (no matter how good the bid technically is), that France has already hosted three times.

It could be one... another is that a lot of IOC members would love to have WINTER games back in the MOUNTAINS and not in the hearth of a megalopolis !

I don't think this can be underestimated. Yes sure Albertville and Lillehammer had logistical problems - not major ones, but it was difficult to get around and accommodation is not as plentiful as in a proper city. But I for one, would love to experience a mountain games rather than the Torino, Salt Lake experience. Who would swap Salt Lake's games for Lillehammer's? Sure the fact it was right in the mountains wasn't the only reason Lillehammer rocked, but it really made a large part of the magic that was part of the games.

Albertville was too spread out - more so than Lillehammer - and this does count against Annecy - but with few other mountain bids on the table at this stage I'm backing the town by the lake!

the thesis of memorabilia is really interesting, since the same thesis would work with Annecy and Paris, when you start it with the presumption that the IOC prefers Paris than Berlin hosting Summer Olympics...

I agree, this thesis could work in both way. But, from past experience, I feel that some IOC members are not so fond of Paris and will prefer Berlin !!!!!!!! And i could understand as my second choice after SOG in Paris will be Berlin .............

How do you know that? They're all getting old and arthritic and you want them to go back to the mountains? What about the other 2/3rds of the membership who do NOT belong to winter countries? Why should they care mountains vs. the city? I'm sure they'd prefer to stay in the metropolis.

And the same Savoie region again. The French should just sit this one out.

Technicaly NO !

In France, we are administratively organized like that : COUNTRY / REGION / DEPARTEMENT / CITY

So one is : France / Rhone Alpes / Savoie / Albertville

And the other is : France / Rhone Alpes / Haute-Savoie / Annecy

So, yes same Region (Rhone Alpes) but all main moutains' department in the Alps are there (Isere, Savoie & Haute-Savoie). The others are in the south of the alps (Region Provence Alpes Cote d'Azur) or in the Pyrenees (Region Midi-Pyrenees) but are not ready yet to hist Winter Games (in term of facilities & accomodation)

It is again in the French Alps, where the Games were only 20 years ago (in 2011). I think, thats the biggest disadvantage of this bid. To have facilities in two departments can be also be difficult. They cant even promote this bid with the Alpine Skiing W-Ch 2009, because Val d´Isère is not a part of this bid.

I hope Merkel and Sarkozy will come to an agreement. Or Annecy will face the same destiny like Paris 2008/2012.

I hope Merkel and Sarkozy will come to an agreement. Or Annecy will face the same destiny like Paris 2008/2012.

another German/French agreement?

like they did with the German Womens WC 2011 and the French Bid for Euro 2016?

like Munich 2018 and Paris 2020/2024?

Sorry, but i can´t see something like this happen.

Technicaly NO !

In France, we are administratively organized like that : COUNTRY / REGION / DEPARTEMENT / CITY

So one is : France / Rhone Alpes / Savoie / Albertville

And the other is : France / Rhone Alpes / Haute-Savoie / Annecy

So, yes same Region (Rhone Alpes) but all main moutains' department in the Alps are there (Isere, Savoie & Haute-Savoie). The others are in the south of the alps (Region Provence Alpes Cote d'Azur) or in the Pyrenees (Region Midi-Pyrenees) but are not ready yet to hist Winter Games (in term of facilities & accomodation)

Yeah, mem...there's a difference from the French administrative POV. But what is that to outsiders? It's a domestic French technical thing.

To outsiders, once you see "Savoie" (whether Haute or not), it's still...oh, didn't I see that 20 years ago in Albertville? At least Italy's 2 WOGs, 50 years apart,were in TWO very different parts of the country...same as Japan...same as US.

Archived