Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Soaring

Do Events Like This Hurt Tokyo's Bid?

Do events like this hurt Tokyo's bid?

I just want to know your thoughts.

North Korea launches rocket over Japan

'Provocative act,' U.S. says; Japanese seek emergency U.N. meeting

BREAKING NEWS

msnbc.com news services

updated 1 hour, 39 minutes ago

SEOUL, South Korea - North Korea launched a rocket that passed over Japan on Sunday, defying calls from world leaders to scrap a plan that has caused international alarm.

The Japanese government asked for an emergency session of the U.N. Security Council after the rocket flew over its territory.

State Department spokesman Fred Lash confirmed the launch, saying it occurred at 10:30 p.m. EDT Saturday.

"We look on this as a provocative act," said Lash.

The rocket's second booster stage splashed down in the Pacific Ocean, Japan said, indicating the launch had been successful.

The Defense Ministry detected a "flying object" believed to be a rocket that was launched from North Korea, flew eastward and passed over northern Japan about seven minutes later, heading toward the Pacific Ocean.

Japan did not make any attempt to intercept it, as no debris fell onto the country, a ministry spokeswoman said, speaking on condition of anonymity, citing department rules.

Japan had threatened to shoot down any debris from the rocket if the launch went wrong. It had positioned batteries of interceptor missiles on its coast and radar-equipped ships off its northern seas.

North Korea had informed international authorities that it planned to launch a rocket sometime between Saturday and Wednesday in order to put a satellite into orbit...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30035197/

-

Probably not. Everybody at the IOC knows what a blowhard Kim (just like his buddies Chavez, Mugabe and Amedinjihad) is. He wants attention for something.

I don't think so, isn't Sochi like close to the separatist Russian province of Chechenya ?

I don't think it's Chechenya, it's the other one, whose name escapes me right now.

If the IOC chose Seoul to host at a time when North Korea could've pounced on South Korea at any moment, this incident is nothing.

And yes, Sochi is another one, in a very volatile part of the world, & yet the IOC thought nothing of giving them the Winter Games.

If things like this actually detered the IOC, we'd hardly see anybody hosting. So the IOC doesn't seem to be intimidated by anything.

I don't think it's Chechenya, it's the other one, whose name escapes me right now.

Abkhazia?