Queen Elizabeth Ii To Open Vancouver 2010 Games

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is pretty obvious that if they are arranging to have the Queen come to Vancouver then they are having her there to open the Games. I'm disappointed. It should have been a Canadian resident. Now once more Canada will appear on TV to the world as one of Liz's colonies, and not as its own country.

It is pretty obvious that if they are arranging to have the Queen come to Vancouver then they are having her there to open the Games. I'm disappointed. It should have been a Canadian resident. Now once more Canada will appear on TV to the world as one of Liz's colonies, and not as its own country.

I agree with you.

If the Queen will open the Games it would be a HUGE mistake by the Canadians, they would appear to the world only as a simply COLONY of the UK, another edition of Commonwealth Games... :wacko::blink:

Not good at all.

notoriously racist? what country are you living?

Its a matter of protocol, the Prime Minister was bound to ask the Queen to open the games, she is our official head of state and it is the head of state that opens an Olympic Games.

Though I am sure there was a personal aspect to this on behave of Harper, Jean upstaged him during Obama's visit, Jean has more personal popularity and Jean was appointed by Paul Martin, a man's legacy Harper has systematically destroyed.

I think it speaks to Canada being very immature and not being able to determine for itself, that a canadian should open the games. Its a beautiful country but it really does have this "dumb giant kid nextdoor" thing going for it that it can't seem to shake!

notoriously racist? what country are you living?

Its a matter of protocol, the Prime Minister was bound to ask the Queen to open the games, she is our official head of state and it is the head of state that opens an Olympic Games.

Though I am sure there was a personal aspect to this on behave of Harper, Jean upstaged him during Obama's visit, Jean has more personal popularity and Jean was appointed by Paul Martin, a man's legacy Harper has systematically destroyed.

But if my friend Lizzie didn't open Calgary, why should she, at the ripe old age of 83, suddenly want to open the farther Vancouver Games?

Actually, let me ask her myself.

OK, I just got off the phone with Liz. You know she's very frank with me. She says she wants to do this because (1) it's an indoor Winter Opening; and (2) she doesn't know if she'll live to London 2012.

Carpe diem she shouted in my ear!!

Edited by baron-pierreIV

It does seem strange that she would say yes, given that she did not Open Calgary and having London two years down the road. So I have no idea why the invitation was accepted. Though this is a more desirable outcome than if she passed the duty to Charles instead of the GG.

It does seem strange that she would say yes, given that she did not Open Calgary and having London two years down the road. So I have no idea why the invitation was accepted. Though this is a more desirable outcome than if she passed the duty to Charles instead of the GG.

I still don't believe she is going to open the Games, because a lot of newspapers did not write about it.

I believe it at the moment Buckingham palace is going to confirm it, whenever it may be.

As a matter of protocol, the Queen gets first dibs. That's the way the Constitution and IOC Charter is set up. She is the Head of State, and the GG is her representative in Canada. She can turn the job down, however, but I've also heard rumours that Premier Gordon Campbell wants the Queen to be there to do the job. For him, it is a coup to land the Queen. Or so he sees it that way. No official notice has been posted and it is after all only the Olympics so it isn't such a BFD.

I find it absolutely strange that the queen is visiting Vancouver around the time of the Olympics. It would even be more strange if she did not open the games herself. I am personally convinced that the queen will not allow a black royal representative of hers to take such a dominant stage in a global event to the largest diamond of the Commonwealth. Whether we want to accept it or not, the British Monarcy, historically, is a racist institution. It has only tried to shake this in the last 40 perhaps 30 years of its near 1,000 year long history.

I don't think there would be much objection to having the Queen open the Olympic Games. Canadians have a tremendous amount of respect for her. I would much rather see her open the games than a politician.

Consider that only a few years ago, it was the Queen that rededicated the monument at Vimy Ridge and we were only too thrilled to have her there.

We don't really know because Canadians have not been consulted on the matter. But it won't be a politician (although it is funny the some Canadians seem to have more disdain for a national that they elected than they do for a foreign born blue-blood that was born into the job...but whatever). The job will either be performed the Queen or the Governor General. Olympic protocol dictates that the head of state or his/her designate shall open the Olympic Games.

So - its about time Canada has its own head of state. We need to stop defining ourselves based on the United States and define ourselves as who we want to be. Its unimaginable that after almost 150 years of self-rule that has ultimately lead to complete sovereignty that the House of Windsor still determines our head of state.

Ireland, India, and Bangladesh have a modified Westminster system with a non-political, ceremonial president and in Ireland's case is an elected one, as is India's but the power still resides in the Prime Minister and the cabinet. Germany, Italy and Israel also have similar systems but without a connection to the British Crown.

You're worried about the Queen being shafted? Given the life she has lived, I don't think missing the opening declaration of the Vancouver Olympics will be the low point of her reign. She missed Calgary. She missed Melbourne and Sydney. In fact, the only Olympics she ever opened were in French-speaking Montreal. And she was boring and said it wrong.

Just when we have a youthful, stylish, and charismatic Governor General, we go and get old fuddy duddy to come to town. Great. Real progress.