2009-2010 Isu Figure Skating Season

Canada will also be sending 3 pairs to Tokyo thanks to a 7th place finishe by Crone and Poirier.

Davis and White won the free after Virtue and Moir got deducted 1 point due to an extended lift. Had that not happen the Canadians still would've won the free.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, these where good championships for Canada. Two medals, matching Vancouver. Its also very nice to see Virtue and Moir win a world title, with a little bit of luck they should be the team to beat (that said, I hope the Virtue & Moir / Davis & White will stay this intense, its great to watch). I would say the biggest surprise for Canada is that Cynthia Phaneuf finished fifth, barely a point and a half out of bronze. Its nice to see her have some good success at the worlds!

But I think the story of the championships is Kim Yu-Na not winning the women's singles. Oh well, she won the Olympics, so I doubt anybody will hold it against her. I can't imagine that its too fun having to prepare for the worlds just after the games are over.

just watched phaneuf free skate and she has lots of potential. she just needs to do harder transitions to score higher amazing free from her secures canada 2 spot for the ladies without joannie. had rochette competed and placed performed well canada could've been sending 3 ladies to tokyo but her non-participation was fully justified after everything she's been through. yu-na was clearly very tired and needed a lot of time off.

Super disappointed for Mirai. I think it was just a really off night. Plus she seemed a little too focused on the podium rather than her skating. I wish she wouldn't beat herself up so much. Between nationals and the Olympics, she's had a fantastic year. Yes, that early Grand Prix Event and Worlds were rough, but she's young.

Should've been Miki Ando over Laura Lepisto for bronze. That one did seem bizarre.

Really frustrated w/ the ice dancing results. Thought Virtue and Moir totally deserved Olympic gold, but this time I think Davis and White outperformed them. Scott blew his twizzle and the free dance did not have quite the same spark as in Vancouver (still excellent, though, no doubt). By contrast, Davis and White absolutely exploded with passion and energy without sacrificing any control or precision. I thought they were great in Vancouver, but they were jaw-droppingly awesome in Torino. I don't think there was anything they could have done better. I have a sneaking suspicion the judges simply prefer the Canadians' style and choice of music. I probably prefer Mahler to Phantom too, but this time I think Davis and White got the short end of the stick.

virtue and moir lost the free dance when they got deducted 1 point due to an extended lift. also they were already leading from compulsory dance and original dance. even they are flawed they were still able to win. just like yu-na in the free skate. it was really for them.

a lot of people were simply hoping for a medal for mirai but it was not to be yet. some people were really afraid that had she won it might be kimmie meissner all over again. remember how it was so promising for meissner after winning worlds in 2006 then everything went downhill and all the injuries. she hasn't competed 2008 cup of russia.

The road to Tokyo officially begins as Turin puts the curtain to the 2009-10 and what a season it has been. Worlds 2013 host is reported to be named this July. Canada is biddng again with confirmed bids from London, Ont and Winnipeg. Other cities rumored to be interested in becoming Canada's candidate cities are Ottawa, Quebec City and Toronto. Canada has hosted Worlds nine times. Montreal (1932), Vancouver (1960, 2001), Calgary (1972, 2006), Ottawa (1978, 1984), Halifax (1990), and Edmonton (1996). Just realized Canada has hosted 5 post-Olympics Worlds.

virtue and moir lost the free dance when they got deducted 1 point due to an extended lift. also they were already leading from compulsory dance and original dance. even they are flawed they were still able to win. just like yu-na in the free skate. it was really for them.

should've said nearly win for Yu-Na despite a flawed free. She won the free skate round. interesting bit about both of asada's worlds win: in 2008 she was second in both short and free program and won, this year same thing again.

Other cities rumored to be interested in becoming Canada's candidate cities are Ottawa, Quebec City and Toronto. Canada has hosted Worlds nine times. Montreal (1932), Vancouver (1960, 2001), Calgary (1972, 2006), Ottawa (1978, 1984), Halifax (1990), and Edmonton (1996). Just realized Canada has hosted 5 post-Olympics Worlds.

Canada's #1 city has NOT yet hosted? Then perhaps it's Toronto's time if they have a good arena.

It would probably be at Ricoh not the ACC

Wouldn't that depend on the availability of the ACC during the announced date? I would think that the ISU would have discussions with MLSE about the potential availability of the Air Canada Center before going with Ricoh.

Wouldn't that depend on the availability of the ACC during the announced date? I would think that the ISU would have discussions with MLSE about the potential availability of the Air Canada Center before going with Ricoh.

It's what the prospective organizing committee would offer to the ISU. They offer the venue...and the ISU will weigh that vs. the other bids.

Japan in Bid to Change Skating Rules to Favor Mao Asada

Mao Asada Mao Asada

The Japan Skating Federation apparently wants to propose amending regulations for the jump content in the ladies' figure skating short program in favor of 2010 world champion Mao Asada.

Currently, women skaters must perform a double axel in the short program, but the Japanese federation hopes to change this to either a double or a triple axel, just like the requirement for male skaters. The triple is worth more points, so those who can do it would have an advantage. The federation reasons that a triple axel should be credited as long as there is at least one woman skater who can perform it, as Asada can.

Out of eight elements that women are required to perform in the short program, three jumps are mandatory -- a triple-triple combination or a combination of a double and a triple jump, one triple jump on its own, and a double axel. Asada included a triple axel-double toeloop combination, a triple flip and a double axel. If she can replace the double axel with a triple axel, she would be able to earn 4.7 points more, since the base value of a double axel is 3.5 points whereas that of a triple axel is 8.2. The difference is big enough to close the gap of 4.72 points by which she trailed Korea's Kim Yu-na after the short program at the Olympics in Vancouver.

After winning the world title in Turin, Asada said, "I'd like to include a triple axel in the short program next year. I also want to do a triple-triple combination in a variety of combinations." Asada already tried two different triple-triple combinations in the 2007-2008 season. But if she wants to try a triple-triple combination again, she needs to address an issue that has been bothering her for a long time -- under-rotation.

Many Korean figure skating fans seem to accept that Asada is most likely to stay at the top of the world until the 2014 Olympics in Sochi if Kim retires from competition

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2010/03/31/2010033101062.html

not going to happen. mao needs ot be able to compensate on other aspects. she can't just be all jumps. Yu-Na even without a triple axel is a well balanced skater. Mao is also a well balanced skater but not as well balanced as Yu-Na.

Archived