Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fox334

Koreans Not Turning Up For Curling Worlds

I wouldn't got to a curling match either. Why they ever added it to the schedule of the Olympic Winter Games is beyond me.

Pretty Simple why they added . Many countries play it including some odd places like Turkey ans Switerland play the game to various degrees. The game is being played well on a competitive level with China emerging lately as very good players. Curling is even popular in some parts of the Midwest US. South Korea it is just the fact that it has not really started to attract a following as shown here. Oddly Norway and Sweden have had good presence in the game but not Finland.

If you look at nordic combined you probably have less of a spread of that sport then you would have with curling. Generally it looks like a bad thing for south Korean Winter Olympics ambitions. Somehow Harbin sticks out now considering the great women's team from there that plays in Canada very often . Jim jones

Jim, Finland does have a good presence on the men's side: they are the defending Olympic silver medallists, and they qualified for the 2009 worlds.

OG, as for why, well lets be honest, there is space on the winter program and Curling met the IOC's requirements. Also, Curling is a sport that grows on you. Once you get what the **** is going on it actually start becoming *gasp* interesting (although I am Canadian, so it might just be a genetic thing...).

I like curling a lot and i try to watch as many matches as possible. But as a German i cant use the low numbers of spectators against the Koreans, because it is the same here in Germany. Last year the E-Ch took place in Füssen and there havent been many locals in the audience. Fan groups from Sweden, Scotland and Switzerland were there, but the hall was never sold out.

Germany has qualified for Vancouver with both teams. Thats a huge success, because in Turin the Ladies had to stay at home. Pity, that we have only a few teams. Andera Schöpp and her team (Garmisch-Partenkirchen) are nearly the only ones. On the male front we have 3-4 decent teams. Three of them are from southern Bavaria (Kapp Füssen; Stock Oberstdorf; Neuner GAP) and one (Bartsch) is from Hamburg. But the German NC very often takes place in Hamburg, because there in Germanys only "pure-curling-hall".

I think more it compounds the failures of other events held in Korea, biathlon, snowboarding and other world cups.

CHINA has won the W-Ch and i have won my bet :)

Must be a very sad day for Canada. Next it will be better, but the Chinese are playing wonderful curling. I have enjoyed the match very much.

Next weekend the Mens W-Ch kicks off somewhere in the Canadian pampa. I expect a much higher turn out and very close matches.