Yes, and that is the reason why we still have the monarchy. No one wants to discuss it.

But the specific question here isn't about changing the constitution. It is about whether or not Canadians want the Queen or the Governor General to open the 2010 Olympics. That kind of public opinion could be achieved through polling and will give the Queen an idea on whether she should decline or not.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think any debate will ultimately lead to a constitutional question. I have repeated my position here many times, I think the monarchy is ok as long as Liz is the head, once she is gone the monarchy in Canada and the other commonwealth nations should go with her. She has been a symbol of the changing relationship of the commonwealths with the Crown and Britain itself. Thought there will always be a close relationship due to shared culture and history Elizabeth is the last sinew that connects that link and once she is gone, the connect is.

Curious. What would happen if say Britons elected to eliminate the monarchy. Since the constitutions of Australia, Canada, New Zealand and other realms list HRH as the monarch of their nation, too, would they continue to keep the crown or would it force a constitutional debate in those countries as well?

Don't think there is an answer, just something to ponder.

Curious. What would happen if say Britons elected to eliminate the monarchy. Since the constitutions of Australia, Canada, New Zealand and other realms list HRH as the monarch of their nation, too, would they continue to keep the crown or would it force a constitutional debate in those countries as well?

Don't think there is an answer, just something to ponder.

They would all be renamed "Queen-doms" and of course you would know how the elections for "Queen of the Realm" would go in the gay ghettos!! :blink:

• 1 month later...

Queen invited as Olympic guest

CANWEST NEWS SERVICE

MAY 20, 2009

VANCOUVER — The Queen and U.S. President Barack Obama could both be guests of honour at the Vancouver 2010 Olympics.

Games CEO John Furlong confirmed Wednesday that a formal invitation has gone out to Queen Elizabeth.

“But we haven’t been given an answer yet,” he said.

As to Obama, Furlong said he doesn’t know whether he’s coming but the rumour mill is churning and a lot of heads of state are expected to attend.

“I’ve heard there’s a lot of interest and I’ve heard it from people in sport, through their national Olympic committees, who are getting asked questions. Our view is that we will see a lot of visitors at a very high level.”

Furlong said that, as host of Canada’s Games, organizers are required to invite the Queen.

As to other heads of state, that’s up to the national Olympic committees of participating countries.

Gov. Gen. Michaelle Jean will go to Greece for the lighting of the Olympic torch in late October, said Furlong.

“The Governor General is very excited about the relay and is a great friend of the Games,” he said. “We’re happy to hear that she will be coming.”

He said the complete list of dignitaries from Canada has yet to be finalized.

Vancouver Province

© Copyright © The Province