The American Race

The USOC is dreaming if they can find at least 110 acres or so of prime land in a major US city that can accommodate a new Olympic stadium, the Village and 2 or 3 other stadia.

It's funny you mention that Baron, because here in Minneapolis, we have the Minnesota State Fairgrounds, (Which need repairing anyway) which are around 310 acres with a grandstand that could easily be converted into an 80,000 seat stadium with room to spare for an Olympic village, IBC, MPC and probably a new tennis center, and maybe another venue. Get this, it's only ten minutes from either of the downtowns, located exaclty between Minneapolis and St. Paul. So you would have probably 80% of all venues and villages within no more than 20 minutes from one to the other. Convenient, eh?

But no joke, that would be awesome. As far as Chicago and NYC, let's say this, if NYC has the better bid, they'll win, if Chicago has the better bid, they'll win. But the problem is we don't know whose bid is better, so we can only speculate.

GO MINNEAPOLIS! :D  :P  :;):

But seriously...

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The USOC is dreaming if they can find at least 110 acres or so of prime land in a major US city that can accommodate a new Olympic stadium, the Village and 2 or 3 other stadia.

It's funny you mention that Baron, because here in Minneapolis, we have the Minnesota State Fairgrounds, (Which need repairing anyway) which are around 310 acres with a grandstand that could easily be converted into an 80,000 seat stadium with room to spare for an Olympic village, IBC, MPC and probably a new tennis center, and maybe another venue. Get this, it's only ten minutes from either of the downtowns, located exaclty between Minneapolis and St. Paul. So you would have probably 80% of all venues and villages within no more than 20 minutes from one to the other. Convenient, eh?

But no joke, that would be awesome. As far as Chicago and NYC, let's say this, if NYC has the better bid, they'll win, if Chicago has the better bid, they'll win. But the problem is we don't know whose bid is better, so we can only speculate.

GO MINNEAPOLIS! :D  :P  :;):

But seriously...

It's nice to dream and all that...but, ILM, I mean - can MSP/Minnesota really sink $5-6 billion into building a whole Olympic nerve center of 5-6 stadia, a whole new Olympic Village for 10,500 people?  

I mean, when we talk New York, Chicago & San Francisco, we're talking REAL cities here that have:

1.  International APPEAL and renown

2. the resources to stage the biggest circus in the world

3. that means they can attract top $$ for long-term infrastructure investments)

4. the PAZAZZ that people can get excited about.  

Sad to say, MSP doesn't have any of that.  How many hotel rooms does the MSP area have?  I mean, just here alone on GB, it's only you and Joseph who are excited about this.  Extrapolate to the world...

Willet's point has no where near the potential of the Olympic Park in London.  There would be no Olympic Village in the cluster and the transportation options are much more limited.

I never suggested that the stadium should be moved to Manhattan and even if it was, I never said that would allow NYC to win.

My point was that the IOC has changed and the USOC, understanding that, will change too.  I think they will make a different selection for 2016.

what about the capital of the country music.. Nashville!

it would rapresents at best the real America.. :;):

Yeah, unfortunately it represents the real America, that we all would like to hide from the rest of the world. :(  :laugh:

It is beyond me why people here are puting forth second tier American cities, to represent the USA for 2016.

Really: Minneapolis, Baltimore,Nashville, Detroit, Houston, San Diego, Philadelphia, St. Louis, Cincinatti, etc. when the USOC can choose a NYC, Chicago, SF, LA, to compete against the  the likes of a Capetown, or Rio.

Honestly guys, where would you rather spend two weeks if you could? In Minneapolis or Rio ??? (case close!)

These second tier American cities I am sure can technically host an Olympics with all the money the USA has, but it would just be another Atlanta(they put on a great games as far as I am concerned). They have no INTERNATIONAL RECOGNITION.

Dont you think that the IOC would want to put its glamour event on a world stage such as NYC as opposes to a Minneapolis?

Let get real! :glare:

I only made the point about MSP to be a little joke, we have the land ok, I didn't say we would win. Sure I Love Minneapolis (Ha, pun) but I know that 2016 isn't the best time. I do think th top five, world-cities, we have at the moment that could/would/should bid are: New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Philadelphia. Philly is maybe a little less a world city than the others, but it has tons of culture and histroy and the infastructure to host the games, plus it's pretty widley known, I think.

Willet's point has no where near the potential of the Olympic Park in London.  There would be no Olympic Village in the cluster and the transportation options are much more limited.

I never suggested that the stadium should be moved to Manhattan and even if it was, I never said that would allow NYC to win.

My point was that the IOC has changed and the USOC, understanding that, will change too.  I think they will make a different selection for 2016.

lol comments like this really make me laugh....when people say the USOC and the rules have "changed" they are implying that these changes will be bent just to snag NYC....which makes absolutely no sense....I can not think of any new rules or changes in the USOC that would hurt an NYC bid for 2016....and any bar that the USOC may raise will only mkae NYC rise to the occasion and improve their already very strong bid......

I mean unless the USOC makes rules like we don't want a world class city, we don't want a city with bid experience, we don't want a city that can unquestionably host the Games, we don't want a city with a very strong bid, we don't want a city that will make the IOC want to chose it over other cities, we don't want a city that would producie billions of dollars....then and only then would NYC be at any disadvantage by new bid rules....

and the IOC has changed dramatically?....I don't think so we all knew dam well that it was going to be either Paris or London...to say their selection suggests change is kind of stupid...and for anything if their selection has changed it would be that they want world class cities, whcih will only help NYC over any other city....the IOC followed their same exact pattern in 2012 as other recent elections cut the unwealthy cities that are likely to bid again anyway, shortlist the wealthy world class cities, narrow the field down to two in their reports, and then finally chose the one of the top two people expected least.....what a shocker

and yes, earlier you said that NYC needs a stadium in Manhatten to win....which is also ridiculous....since when do cities bid and need a stadium in only one location or else, especially when there are several better options?.....NYC should stay away from a Manhatten stadium in a 2016 bid....and I think as far as legacy and an attempt to achieve an Olympic cluster like London, a stadium in Queens would be perfect.....

Oh sure, Willets Point won't be like the Olympic Park in London, but you can't deny the potential there. In fact, there are talks now of bringing the Jets there, making it an Ultra-Sports Complex.

With the #7 line the only public transportation in the area, you'll see more if the proposals and plans are going to push through. The #7 line has its railyards near that area, bringing in the LIRR would make it another artery in the City that could make the public transportation system in the City more efficient. We already have Woodside and Jamaica in Queens as arteries for LIRR, JFK Airtrain, and the NYCT Subways. Or, they could use it for another station for a line from Queens to the Metro-North New Haven or Hudson Valley Lines. Flushing is one of the railyards in Queens that only has #7 line using it, so you'll see some proposals here and there to improve it. So you can't say that the potential is not there. It might not be as big as the London Olympic Park, but, it's still big.

Yes, the USOC knows the IOC has changed. But, honestly, do you think the IOC are hypocrites when they've encouraged the losing cities for the 2012 race, including NYC, to bid again? I don't think so. Of course, they want to stage their games one of the greatest cities that hasn't hosted a games. And this is our best chance of getting it.

Oh sure, Willets Point won't be like the Olympic Park in London, but you can't deny the potential there. In fact, there are talks now of bringing the Jets there, making it an Ultra-Sports Complex.

With the #7 line the only public transportation in the area, you'll see more if the proposals and plans are going to push through. The #7 line has its railyards near that area, bringing in the LIRR would make it another artery in the City that could make the public transportation system in the City more efficient. We already have Woodside and Jamaica in Queens as arteries for LIRR, JFK Airtrain, and the NYCT Subways. Or, they could use it for another station for a line from Queens to the Metro-North New Haven or Hudson Valley Lines. Flushing is one of the railyards in Queens that only has #7 line using it, so you'll see some proposals here and there to improve it. So you can't say that the potential is not there. It might not be as big as the London Olympic Park, but, it's still big.

Yes, the USOC knows the IOC has changed. But, honestly, do you think the IOC are hypocrites when they've encouraged the losing cities for the 2012 race, including NYC, to bid again? I don't think so. Of course, they want to stage their games one of the greatest cities that hasn't hosted a games. And this is our best chance of getting it.

yea I heard on the news today the Jets are looking to move to Queens as well....perhaps their stadium will be sued as an Olympic stadium, getting rid of that "Atlanta" like design....and it will add to that cluster....overall NYC's venues would be very close together and there still would be a very significant cluster....which will be enough for the USOC and IOC.....

Great to hear that the Jets will also be moving to Queens however...there will have to be 2 stadia, right?  I mean I cannot fathom one NEW stadium capable of properly playing host to baseball AND American football.  So it will have to be a new Jets stadium which would be the convertible one to an Olympic stadium  rather than the Mets' Shea stadium.  Right?  

OK, so I see that as one major piece of the NYC 2016 puzzle sort of solved.  The other bigger question would be: where will they place an Olympic Village?  Will the old site hold out for 2016?

I think once these 2 issues are more surely resolved, then NYC 2016 can move forward.

Cities that most likely will be the next US host: NYC, Chicago, San Francisco. I would also put Los Angeles in this category but it's already hosted so it probably will not be the next host.

Cities that I categorize into cities that have a chance after the cities above host: Washington DC, Philadelphia, Boston, Houston, and Minneapolis

No chance for a LONG time: Tampa, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Dallas, San Diego, and Nashville.

lol comments like this really make me laugh....when people say the USOC and the rules have "changed" they are implying that these changes will be bent just to snag NYC....which makes absolutely no sense....I can not think of any new rules or changes in the USOC that would hurt an NYC bid for 2016....and any bar that the USOC may raise will only mkae NYC rise to the occasion and improve their already very strong bid......

I mean unless the USOC makes rules like we don't want a world class city, we don't want a city with bid experience, we don't want a city that can unquestionably host the Games, we don't want a city with a very strong bid, we don't want a city that will make the IOC want to chose it over other cities, we don't want a city that would producie billions of dollars....then and only then would NYC be at any disadvantage by new bid rules....

and the IOC has changed dramatically?....I don't think so we all knew dam well that it was going to be either Paris or London...to say their selection suggests change is kind of stupid...and for anything if their selection has changed it would be that they want world class cities, whcih will only help NYC over any other city....the IOC followed their same exact pattern in 2012 as other recent elections cut the unwealthy cities that are likely to bid again anyway, shortlist the wealthy world class cities, narrow the field down to two in their reports, and then finally chose the one of the top two people expected least.....what a shocker

and yes, earlier you said that NYC needs a stadium in Manhatten to win....which is also ridiculous....since when do cities bid and need a stadium in only one location or else, especially when there are several better options?.....NYC should stay away from a Manhatten stadium in a 2016 bid....and I think as far as legacy and an attempt to achieve an Olympic cluster like London, a stadium in Queens would be perfect.....

But...  isn't there a rule that you must actually bid to win?

Great to hear that the Jets will also be moving to Queens however...there will have to be 2 stadia, right?  I mean I cannot fathom one NEW stadium capable of properly playing host to baseball AND American football.  So it will have to be a new Jets stadium which would be the convertible one to an Olympic stadium  rather than the Mets' Shea stadium.  Right?  

OK, so I see that as one major piece of the NYC 2016 puzzle sort of solved.  The other bigger question would be: where will they place an Olympic Village?  Will the old site hold out for 2016?

I think once these 2 issues are more surely resolved, then NYC 2016 can move forward.

Yes, they're talking about a separate stadium for the Jets beside the new "Shea". If that indeed goes on, then, we'll only need to talk about the Olympic Village. But, I think they'll find some land to develop there in the area. The Willets Points area has vast underdeveloped area, so you'll see some proposals if every stadium proposed or planned for the area falls into place. And if this happens, it will be a huge Olympic Park the USOC won't be able to resist.

Or let's say the old site holds up, it's still a few minutes away from the Flushing Olympic Park. Transportation still won't be an issue. Plus, you have the tenants of the Olympic Village viewing the spectacular New York skyline.

lol talk about not holding a grudge against a particular city.....when someone counters one of your far fetched points, instead of abcking them up you go and completely bring up some other random garbage....but what can we expect from the person who ranked NYC's bid dead last throughout the 2012 USOC race :rolleyes:

NYC officials including Bloomberg have strongly hinted at a 2016 bid, there are other things going on right now plus the USOC race hasn't even started....NYC is at the same stage as everyone else who may bid....you can most likely expect an announcement sometime either after the USOC actually makes a 2016 race and/or after the election for Mayor in Novermber (which is starting to storngly look like it is going to be Bloomberg).....

anyway back on topic....yea the Jets stadium is great news for an NYC 2016 bid, it will get rid of that baseball-Olympic stadium thing Atlanta did....and will add to the sports cluster....the Olympic Village will be the only real venue that is somewhat a question at this point....however that land still may very well be available for 2016...we just ahve to wait and see

Where exactly did you hear that the Jets are moving to Queens?

A article in the NY Times says the contary? :(

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/12/nyregion/12jets.html

Where exactly did you hear that the Jets are moving to Queens?

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/12/nyregion/12jets.html

lol don't worry baron we won't....

the Jet's are considering several options now that the West Side stadium is dead....

one of them is the plan that was officially announced yesterday, Queens has pitched plans for a new Jet's Stadium which would be located right next to the new Shea Stadium...here is a link to one article on this:

Queens Pitches New Jets Stadium

Another option that I read about today was that the Jets are considering sharing the new Giants stadium when it is built....as long as various things including 10,000 additional seats are added (making 90,000-100,000) and a retractable roof for major political conventions and the Super Bowl

And another plan I read about today is to build the Jet's Stadium on Governor's Island (which would serve as an Olympic stadium for 2016 too)

Overall, the Jets are getting their stadium and are considering several options....two of which would be instrumental in an NYC 2016 bid (Queens and Governor's Island).....I don't know exactly if they could use the new stadium in the Meadowlands for their main stadium.....

What will be interesting to see really is all the new options and venues that can be added to an NYC 2016 bid includign the Brooklyn Arena, the brand new venues in the Meadowlands, the new Yankee and Shea Stadiums, a possible expansion of the Javits Center onto the proposed West Side stadium land (making it the largest Convention Center in the USA) and eventually the brand new Jets Stadium whereever it is built...not to mention the hundreds of brand new transportation infrastructures planned and the revitalization of the World Trade Center area, which will imrpove lower Manhattens transportation and bring several major cultural venues to the area, and the brand new UN center

Of course... But again, if the IOC doesn't think the past bid cities can win, why did they asked them to bid again? Are they hypocrites in asking those cities?

Realistically, NYC has the best chance of all the losing cities in 2012 to grabe 2016. So, if you're going to apply the encouragement from the IOC to big again, it will be most probable for NYC to win 2016 if they'll bid again.

Now, we just need to wait for NYC to decide if they'll bid again. It won't be long.

Where exactly did you here that the jets are moving to Queens?

I just heard it from the other 2 guys here:  SOlympiadsW and NewYork2016.  

C'mon guys, don't shame me.   :suspect:

There are lots of articles with the Jets showing interest in a Queens site. In fact, I even heard Mayor Mike talking about it this morning on his radio show. Although I caught it on the last minutes of his comments regarding a possible Jets Stadium in Flushing Meadows, his statement was that the Jets need to fully subsidize the construction, with the City and State funding the infrastructure needed around the stadium (exit ramps from the highways, additional parking etc). He even mentioned that the stadium, if it goes through, will be a separate stadium from the new "Shea".

If this pushes through, the Jets Stadium will be a better and cheaper alternative to the new "Shea" to be the Olympic Stadium. Only several tweaks, reconstruction and redesign, are needed to make it fit to be an Olympic Stadium. It will be perfect for the bid. A new "Shea" being reconfigured will be much more expensive, and will require more space to reconstruct. Either way, it's a great location for the Olympic Stadium to be placed as it is in the proposed Olympic Park.

Okay, I've heard the full sequence regarding Mayor Mike's statement on the proposed Jets Stadium in Queens.

Link to Mayor Mike's radio show archive

He's actually pushing for the Jets to go to Queens. It is in fact, very good news. This just means that Mayor Mike will most probably push a 2016 bid for the Summer Games. He knows, the stadium was the main problem that killed the 2012 bid. And fixing the stadium issue now and bringing the Jets in instead of a reconfigured baseball stadium, will make it more feasible for the City and the Bid Committee and will cover all the holes regarding the Olympic Stadium.

Now, if we could just make sure we'll have an Olympic Village. I'll be starting to make my list on who on gamesbids out of the NYC Area, I can accomodate so you'll have a place to stay here...  :;):

Now, if we could just make sure we'll have an Olympic Village. I'll be starting to make my list on who on gamesbids out of the NYC Area, I can accomodate so you'll have a place to stay here...  :;):

Well, of course, you know who's been NYC's biggest promoter too, through thick and thin -- battling all the other evil wizards and bit/witches here!!   :wwww:

:unclesam:

Well, of course, you know who's been NYC's biggest promoter too, through thick and thin -- battling all the other evil wizards and bit/witches here!!   :wwww:

:laughlong:

Now, if we could just make sure we'll have an Olympic Village. I'll be starting to make my list on who on gamesbids out of the NYC Area, I can accomodate so you'll have a place to stay here...  

By that time, I'll probably have a brand new breezy house along the Jersey shore. Or, a condo in Manhattan. Or a 2 family house in Queens.

Either way, I'll be able to accomodate some of you... And that is, if NYC bids again and wins 2016 of course. :)

Maybe SOlympiadsW, ryan04, tresado, Imagineer, nykfan845 or others that are local in the NYC Area can accomodate all of the gamesbidders too!!!  :;):

Now, if we could just make sure we'll have an Olympic Village. I'll be starting to make my list on who on gamesbids out of the NYC Area, I can accomodate so you'll have a place to stay here...  

By that time, I'll probably have a brand new breezy house along the Jersey shore. Or, a condo in Manhattan. Or a 2 family house in Queens.

Either way, I'll be able to accomodate some of you... And that is, if NYC bids again and wins 2016 of course. :)

Maybe SOlympiadsW, ryan04, tresado, Imagineer, nykfan845 or others that are local in the NYC Area can accomodate all of the gamesbidders too!!!  :;):

lol if I even have anywhere to live by 2016  :laughlong:

Archived