Olympic & Sports Museum

I am trying to make a worldwide list of all museum related to Olympic Games, Sports in general or to a specific sport.

Do you have such museum in your country (or even a section of another museum)? Or do you know some around the world ?

If so, please provide postal adress & website (if existing).

Regards

Memorabilia

sounds like a great idea could end up being my must see places before i die list!

I know it wont have much interest for non cricket fans but in Adelaide the have the Bradman Collection only small but its worth going to if your ever in Adelaide and the best bit is its FREE!!

Bradman

ok ignore that about the Bradman Collection as its now closed it was good trust me :)

Sorry it is closed, but that is the kind of information i am requesting.... museum for every sport.... even small museums... even confidential sports !

I am actually contacting the NOCs from all over the world. Have allready some intersting answers. Will may be create a website soon.

Will keep you inform.

Regards

Vincent

Well, in Australia, probably the best one is the MCG's Sports Museum:

MCG Sports Museum

From what i received from AOC this morning, this is not MCG's Sports Musem, but the National Sport Museum (Ok, it is inside the MCG.....)

I was thinking there was a museum in Canberra with sports' things! Am I wrong ?

Mem, the 3 Olympic musea I know in the US are all part of larger institutions:

1. There is some sort of memorabilia exhibit (of LA 1984 and I think some LA 1932 stuff) with the L.A./Amateur Athletic Foundation's Library/Office in LA. http://www.la84foundation.org/5va/reports_frmst.htm. They do not quite advertise it as a museum per se because those are working offices of the Foundation. But the Library and Collection are always open to researchers and visitors.

2. An Atlanta 1996 exhibit, part of the Atlanta History Museum http://www.atlantahistorycenter.com/

3. Salt Lake 2002 memorabilia are part of Park City's Alf Engen Ski Museum located in the Joe Quinney Winter Sports Center at Utah Olympic Park, four miles north of Park City, Utah. http://www.engenmuseum.org/home. I think the Olympic portion is called the Eccles Olympic Museum, named after the family that gave lUS$5 million+ for the OC stadium and additional Ceremonial/cauldron costs.

Longtime IOC president Avery Brundage had a great Olympic collection -- but I don't know where that went. He donated his Asian art collection to the City of San Francisco but I don't think his Olympic collection was part of that. It may have gone to the IOC or to U.S. Olympic Committee, whose offices are in Colorado Springs. The last time I was at the USOC in 1993, I don't recall seeing a separate museum/exhibit area for a Brundage Collection.

NOTE: I intend to be selling my 5 boxes of Olympic memorabilia as Vancouver 2010 approaches.

Within the USA, since last year, New York City has its own sport museum in Manhattan: http://www.sportsmuseum.com/

And a other one in Los Angeles (small one...) : http://www.sportsmuseumla.com

Lake Placid as also a museum : At the Olympic Center. But i did not manage to find in which Ice Skating Arena, it is based (the 1932 one or the 1980 ???? May be both rinks are in the same complex !)

lakeplacidwinterolympicmuseum.jpg

And I found some others in the USA... i will list them here as soon as i will have organized all the answers i ma receiving actually....

Thanks for your help guys... keep going !

Mem, the 3 Olympic musea I know in the US are all part of larger institutions:

1. There is some sort of memorabilia exhibit (of LA 1984 and I think some LA 1932 stuff) with the L.A./Amateur Athletic Foundation's Library/Office in LA. http://www.la84foundation.org/5va/reports_frmst.htm. They do not quite advertise it as a museum per se because those are working offices of the Foundation. But the Library and Collection are always open to researchers and visitors.

2. An Atlanta 1996 exhibit, part of the Atlanta History Museum http://www.atlantahistorycenter.com/

3. Salt Lake 2002 memorabilia are part of Park City's Alf Engen Ski Museum located in the Joe Quinney Winter Sports Center at Utah Olympic Park, four miles north of Park City, Utah. http://www.engenmuseum.org/home. I think the Olympic portion is called the Eccles Olympic Museum, named after the family that gave lUS$5 million+ for the OC stadium and additional Ceremonial/cauldron costs.

Longtime IOC president Avery Brundage had a great Olympic collection -- but I don't know where that went. He donated his Asian art collection to the City of San Francisco but I don't think his Olympic collection was part of that. It may have gone to the IOC or to U.S. Olympic Committee, whose offices are in Colorado Springs. The last time I was at the USOC in 1993, I don't recall seeing a separate museum/exhibit area for a Brundage Collection.

NOTE: I intend to be selling my 5 boxes of Olympic memorabilia as Vancouver 2010 approaches.

From what i received from AOC this morning, this is not MCG's Sports Musem, but the National Sport Museum (Ok, it is inside the MCG.....)

I was thinking there was a museum in Canberra with sports' things! Am I wrong ?

In Canberra at the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) I have done a tour of the complex (by a young athlete) and at the end there was a small display of sports and Olympic history and an interactive area. Not sure if they still do it as I was last there in 2000 on my way to Sydney.

The NSM at the G in Melbourne is fantastic I have been there a few times and is well worth visiting. They not only have an Olympic section but also the Australian Sports hall of fame, AFL, Cricket and MCC museum. You can also do a tour of the G on non event days.

In Hobart the Tasmanian Cricket Association have a small gallery and library at Belrive Oval and entry is only $2.00. I believe the Adelaide Oval will have something similar incorporating the Bradman collection once the new members stand is completed in late 2010

• 2 weeks later...

I found this for the holdings of the LA84 - AAF Library:

- The Official Report of every modern Olympic Games.

- Dozens of Olympian oral histories.

- The Avery Brundage Collection on microfilm.

- Complete video sets of all NBC, CBS and ABC television coverage of the Olympic Games and Olympic Winter Games since 1988.

- Minutes of early International Olympic Committee meetings and extensive runs of IOC and U.S. Olympic Committee periodicals.

- Bid documents of cities seeking to host the Olympic Games.

- Complete or nearly complete runs of dozens of periodical titles such as Sports Illustrated, The Sporting News, Ring, Women's Sports and Fitness, the Journal of Sport History, Research Quarterly, Street & Smith annuals and Track & Field News.

- Thousands of professional team media guides and events programs.

Re the Lake Placid museums...I think they are in BOTH arenas which I think are close to each other. The 1932 arena, renamed the Jack Shea Arena, houses all events and honors belonging to 1932; the new one houses all honors going to 1980 (including the Herb Brooks museum)...at least that's how I think it is.

Maybe someday we can organize a trip to Lake Placid and Salt Lake / Park City, anyone? I'm game for this summer, barring a busy schedule.

The LA Sports Museum -- dedicated to

• 6 years later...

You have the German Sports and Olympics Museum, located in Kohln (Cologne).Here is the address:German Sports and Olympic Musuem

Happy New Year everyone!

I just dug out this old topic because I actually went to the museum in Cologne earlier this week: Has some great exhibits like an original 1896 winner's medal, dedicated sections to Berlin 36 and Munich 72, and some interactive possibilities.

Definitely worth a visit should you be in the area! And if you're exhausted from all those sports, next door is the Chocolate Museum that'll provide you with lots of options to recharge ;-)

Archived