Hildegard Knef Ist So... Was Kann Man Sagen? Hildegard!

I thought first, that you started this thread due the movie "Hilde" with Heike Makatsch is released today in Germany.

Hildegard Knef was an icon in Germany - this movie scene with her caused a scandal in 1951 - due she is shown "naked" for a moment: Die Sünderin (The Sinner) - here are some famous songs of her:

@ ejaycat - I suppose you will love the first one: Eins und Eins das macht Zwei (One and One, that makes Two), due you like her verson of Messie Messer. In the lyrics the pros and cons of love and life are simply math to add up.

One and one, that makes two,

So kiss and don't think about it

Because thinking destroys the illusion.

Everything goes around, goes around in a circle

And if you should get derailed,

It was just experience rather than revelation,

What does it matter?

Man is basically lonely

And holds back in isolation.

One doesn't seek together

A small piece of happiness.

Happiness that one has

treated with contempt all one's life.

That one with a few kisses

Suddenly has at home.

One heart is always there

And if you're lucky,

Then there are two.

No one will invent the recipe,

No one will figure it out.

Sometimes it's good for life

And sometimes it's only good for flirtation.

Man is basically a coward

And is ashamed of his feelings.

So that no one shows it,

Because that's the way morality wants it.

But when it really comes down to it

He hides in the dark.

Dear God sees everything

And long ago has found you out.

So kiss and don't think much about it

When at times you feel like crying.

Happy is the one who enjoys today,

And forgets what's done and gone.

Things happen as they must,

First comes the first kiss,

Then comes the last kiss,

And that's that.

Für mich soll's rote Rosen regnen (It shall rain red roses for me)

At 16, I said quietly: I want,

want to be an adult, to win, to be happy, never lying.

At 16, I said quietly, I want,

want everything....or nothing.

It shall rain red roses for me,

All wonders shall encounter to me.

The world shall rearrange itself,

and keep its worries to itself.

And later, I still said: I´d like,

to understand, to see much, to experience, to preserve,

and later, I still said: I´d like,

not to be alone -- but to be free, too.

All wonders shall encounter to me.

Fortune shall gently behave,

and shall direct my fate with love.

And today, I say quietly: I should,

comply, content myself - I cannot resign myself,

cannot content myself, still want to win,

want everything....or nothing.

New wonders shall encounter to me.

I unfold myself anew, afar from the old,

but most of what is expected will be kept.

I want.... I want.....

Thanks for the clips, CAF, and thanks for the English translations!

I was saddened to learn that Hildegard Knef passed away in 2002. So have any films been made about her life? Is she a much impersonated, total German diva?

Thanks for the clips, CAF, and thanks for the English translations!

I was saddened to learn that Hildegard Knef passed away in 2002. So have any films been made about her life? Is she a much impersonated, total German diva?

You are welcome, ejaycat!

There are of course some TV-documentaries about her life and the motion picture Hilde was just released yesterday.

Yes - I would call her an impersonated, total German diva!

By the way she played in some Hollywood movies, too: e.g. The Snows Of Kilimanjaro

- furthermore you will find her footprints in front of the Grauman's Chinese Theatre (in the USA she was known as "Hildegarde Neff")

In my (and not only in my) opinion, Hildegard Knef was one of the greatest German artists ever. She has many fans here in Germany, and her songs are real classics. Especially "Für mich soll's rote Rosen regnen" is very popular, it has become Knef's signature song. And one shouldn't forget that Hildegard Knef wrote many great lyrics herself.

For example the lyrics for this song which is a favourite of mine:

Prost Neujahr ("Happy New Year" or literally: "Cheers, New Year")

Prost Neujahr! Es war ein gutes Jahr. (Happy New Year! It was a good year.)

Man blickt zurück und denkt an sich -- an wen denn sonst? (One's looking back and thinking of oneself -- of whomever else?)

Fühlt sich nicht schlecht, man gibt sich recht -- ja, was denn sonst? (One's feeling not bad, one agrees with oneself -- what else would you expect?)

Die Liebe kam und ging vorbei wie oft zuvor. (Love came and went as often before.)

Etwas gehetzt, doch sehr geschätzt trat man empor. (A little rushed but very appreciated, one ascended.)

Wenn man's so recht bedenkt: Es war ein gutes Jahr. (If one's really considering: It was a good year.)

Das bisschen Neid, das bisschen Angst ist nun vorbei. (That little bit of envy, that little bit of fear is over now.)

Das Konto voll, die Feinde matt, du fühlst dich frei. (The bank account is full, the enemies are exhausted, you're feeling free.)

Am Weihnachtsabend hat man gut und reich geschenkt, (At Christmas Eve one has made good and rich gifts,)

und selbst der Nachbar weiß, dass man noch christlich denkt. (and even the neighbour knows that one still has a Christian attitude)

So ganz uneingeschränkt: Es war ein gutes Jahr! (Completely unreserved: It was a good year!)

Du gabst das Rauchen auf und fühlst dich ganz als Held (You quitted smoking and feel completely like a hero)

und trinkst nur Wein, den du in Frankreich dir bestellt. (and you drink only wine you ordered in France.)

Du bist versnobt und tust, als ob du es nicht wärst -- (You're snobby and act as if you weren't --)

du gehörst dazu, solang du noch zwei Wagen fährst. (you're part of the pack as long as you drive two cars.)

Und denkst so gern zurück an dieses gute Jahr. (And you love to reminisce about this good year.)

Man blickt voraus und gießt sein Blei und wünscht sich sehr, (One's looking ahead and casting one's lead* and wishing dearly)

dass man im neuen Jahr ein gänzlich And'rer wär. (that in the new year, one will be a totally different person.)

Dass man so jung und gut und treu wie nie zuvor -- (That one will be so young and good and faithful like never before --)

doch die Gewohnheit lacht und singt dir sanft ins Ohr. (but consuetude gently laughs and sings into your ear.)

Nun trink man brav den Sekt und mach dir doch nichts vor! (Now be good, drink your sparkling wine and don't fool yourself!)

Prost Neujahr! Es war ein gutes Jahr! (Happy New Year! It was a good year!)

* Casting lead is a German New Year's Eve custom: You take little lead figures, put them on a spoon and melt the lead above a candle. Then you cast the melted lead into a bowl of water where it solidifies and forms a new figure. Then you guess what that figure looks like and consider that figure an omen for the new year. For example if you cast a figure looking like a baby, you'll probably become father or mother in the new year.

Sorry for the rough translation, but it's difficult to exactly translate some of the German phrases Hildegard Knef used in the lyrics.

Hi F. (Olympian2004),

it is nice to hear that you like her, too - I think some of the lyrics are really fantastic and the way how she sings some parts of the songs are really great!

Ich möchte am Montag mal Sonntag haben (I would like to have sunday when it is monday)

- she sings about our wishes and dreams without all of our worries... - e.g. some quotes = I would like to know the continents like my garden, I would like to have knock off before I get up, I would like to have summer in winter, I would like to fly to Australia with you and I want to get a sunburn at the Mississippi, I want to buy something totally useless, I want to be a swan among ducks...

Guten Morgen, Paul (Good morning, Paul)

- this song is quite funny - she is grumpy at the morning, but Paul not...

In my (and not only in my) opinion, Hildegard Knef was one of the greatest German artists ever. She has many fans here in Germany, and her songs are real classics. Especially "Für mich soll's rote Rosen regnen" is very popular, it has become Knef's signature song.

Yeah I absolutely agree - I think "Für mich solls rote Rosen regnen" has fantastic lyrics...

You are welcome, ejaycat!

There are of course some TV-documentaries about her life and the motion picture Hilde was just released yesterday.

Yes - I would call her an impersonated, total German diva!

By the way she played in some Hollywood movies, too: e.g. The Snows Of Kilimanjaro

- furthermore you will find her footprints in front of the Grauman's Chinese Theatre (in the USA she was known as "Hildegarde Neff")

Not to be disrespectful to her memory but I also imagine a lot of drag queens impersonating her and lip-synching her songs.

Thanks for telling me about her footprints at Grauman's Chinese Theatre! Now I MUST go there and look for them, and take a picture of it and hehe yes, put my feet and hands where she put them. I think I'll do that tomorrow...

I'm really into her now, I think I'll look for any CDs of hers that might be available here.

I like her rendition of a Burt Bacharach song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq0ybx-oYYI&NR=1

Oly2004 thanks for posting that song, I like it!

Not to be disrespectful to her memory but I also imagine a lot of drag queens impersonating her and lip-synching her songs.

I'm really into her now, I think I'll look for any CDs of hers that might be available here.

I like her rendition of a Burt Bacharach song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq0ybx-oYYI&NR=1

I do not think that it is disrepectful to her memory, when a lot of drag queens impersonating her and lip-synching her songs. I even think she would take it as compliment!!!

You will find a lot of cd on amazon (US) - on amazon (Germany) you will find some more cd's - on amazon (Germany) is a cd, where Hildegard sings Cole Porter and there is a new cd, which was just released: Hildegard Knef singt Cole Porter, Hilde, das Beste von Hildegard Knef (that is the new released cd)

In the meantime I made a rough translation of

Ich möchte am Montag mal Sonntag haben

Ich möchte am Montag mal Sonntag haben (One Day I would like to have Sunday at a Monday)

und »Feierabend« vorm Aufstehn sagen. (and saying „good knock off“ before I get out of the bed) *

Ich möchte ganz sorglos verreisen können (I would like to travel without any worries)

und Erdteile wie meinen Garten kennen. (and know all the continents like my garden).

Ich möchte mal etwas ganz Nutzloses kaufen (One day I would like to buy something completely useless)

und barfuß allein durch den Kongo laufen. (and walking through the Congo without shoes.)

Ich möchte mit dir nach Australien fliegen (I would like to fly to Australia with you)

und Sonnenbrand am Mississippi kriegen. (and get a sunburn at the Mississippi)

Ich möchte im Winter mal Sommer haben (One day I would like to have Summer in Winter)

und nachts in römischen Brunnen baden. (and take a bath in a fountain in Rome by night)

Ich möchte einmal in Juwelen wühlen (I would like to dig into jewels)

und mich als Schwan unter Enten fühlen. (and feeling like a swan among ducks.)

Ich möcht' meine eigenen Nerze züchten (I would like to breed my own minks)

und mich an die Brust eines Stierkämpfers flüchten. (and snuggle into the breast of a bull fighter)

Ich möchte im Juli das Mittelmeer pachten (I would like to rent the Mediterranean Sea in July)

und von meiner Jacht die Küste verachten. (and to sneer the coast sitting on my yacht)

Ich möchte am Montag mal Sonntag haben (One Day I would like to have Sunday at a Monday)

und nie mehr in drohenden Rechnungen graben. (I don’t want to mine into due invoices)

Ich möchte nach keiner Beförd'rung mehr streben (I don’t want to strive for promotion anymore)

und meinem Alltag den Abschiedskuss geben. (and I want to give my daily grind a kiss good bye)

* In german we have a special phrase for saying "good bye" when you are leaving the office in the afternoon – I translated that in the lyrics with “Good knock off” = (“Feierabend”)

In terms of impersonations: Hildegard Knef has a very good and funny impersonator who calls himself "Irmgard Knef" and pretends that she's the unknown twin of Hildegard.

Take a look (his performance is even in English):

That impersonator's real name is Ulrich Michael Heissig.

And by the way: Ella Fitzgerald once called Hildegard Knef "the greatest singer in the world without a voice". That's a title you'll always read or hear in portrayals about Hildegard Knef.

This afternoon my partner and I went to Grauman's Chinese Theatre just to look for Hildegard Knef's cement square. And here it is! That's my foot on her footprint... it took me a while to take the picture, there were people standing around her square, and at one point a woman was standing on her signature so you couldn't read it.

p1010693.jpg

In fact there seemed to be fewer tourists, maybe the economic downturn has something to do with this, but it was still fairly crowded. I took this picture just for the crowd of people, and didn't realize until I got home and downloaded it to the computer that my partner is in this shot. He's the blond guy in the black jacket towards the right, between the girl in the pink-striped hoodie and the Latin lesbian, or is that a Latin pre-teen boy?

p1010701f.jpg

Archived