Cape Town 2016

As many members of this forum know, I am supporting Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN as they put a bid for the 2016 Summer Olympic Games. I will like to say that if Cape Town, South Africa decides to put a bid and Minneapolis-St. Paul put a bid together, I will support Cape Town over Minneapolis-St. Paul and here are my reasons.

1. The Summer Olympics have never been held on the Continent of Africa while the continent of North America has held the Summer Olympics 10 times.

2. South Africa is hosting the 2010 World Cup and it gives the country a chance to show that it can host a major sporting event.

3. Cape Town is a tourist place in South Africa. Places where tourist can go include the Victoria & Alfred Waterfront and the Cape of Good Hope.

4. Cape Town transportation system includes Cape Town International Airport and Cape Town also has trains and buses visitors can use to get around.

If Cape Town doesn't put a bid for the 2016 Olympics and Minneapolis-St. Paul does, I will support Minneapolis-St. Paul, but if Cape Town does put a bid for the 2016 Olympics and Minneapolis-St. Paul does or doesn't put a bid for the 2016 Olympics, I will support Cape Town over Minneapollis-St. Paul because I would like to see an Olympic games being held on the continent of Africa.

lol well then I guess you will be supporting Cape Town (if they bid-I have heard 2020 is much more likely for them)....because Minneapolis won't get far at all if they do bid....

I think Cape Town will bring the Games to Africa...but I don't think they will even bid for 2016.....

so you might not have anyone to support  :(

I'm wondering if South Africia will have enough resources to host the Olympic games 6 years after the World Cup.

Good question. I'm sure that South Africa will do well in hosting the 2010 World Cup. Never mind the pressure on it from FIFA that Africa has countries that have the know-how to host one. South Africa is the "lithmus test" here, as first African country to host it.

As for the Olympic Games, the same thing could be applied here as well. It is only a matter of time on when it will be able to host an Olympic Games.

Cairo could also be the first African city hosting the Olympics... they are now like Mexico was after the election of 1968 Olympics, so.....

I know...Cairo, a dirty, polluted metropolis. Egypt should try Alexandria, a much cleaner city.

Abuja?  Please.  Remember the riots and bloodshed because of Ms. World?

Cape Town is still the best African bet; but CT don't try too hard for 2016.

Never mind that Abuja is contemplating a 2014 Commonwealth Games bid. Frankly, I can't see it going far with the CGF at this time.

As for Cape Town here, the Olympic Games is a big venture that should be treaded lightly and with caution. With the way the Games have been and will be going now, the city officials should really look and study the issue carefully before going this way. The World Cup is one thing; the Olympic Games is a whole new adventure.

Thanks for all the support, in terms of Cairo i would simply suggest reading the IOC report of Cairo's 2008 bid and comparing it to cape town's bid for 2004 in 1997, that would be enough i think to get the message across.

Cape Town has come a long long way since 1997 as any city should, and the 2010 soccer world cup will act as an impetus and catalyst for what the world can expect in 2016/2020. Expect a stronger than ever before cape town bid, and if you're lucky you'll spot me behind the scenes....as for the 2016 race, its only just begun i wouldnt place all my money on an AMerican city winning, we all know how much can happen in the last few hours....

http://rushonect.tripod.com/

Hold on, Mr Minneapolis. HARARE?

You do realise what has been going on there for the last four years?

I'd rather give the Games to Baghdad.

However, I think Cairo would have a good chance depending on the Middle East situation. I've only seen it on documentaries, but it's got to be on most people's lists of places to see before they die. An incredible history, every bit as important as Athens (more important, perhaps).

Climate must be a question, though. Which is why I still think Cape Town is far and away the number one choice for an African Olympics.

The IOC were very harsh on Cairo for the 2008 bid, i think it was more a case of Cairo's actual bid not being up to standard, and it lacking in experience in presenting and formulating a worthy bid, that said the IOC did make clear criticizms, Cape Town seemed to be treated "well" by the IOC.

Africa GP layout revealed  

Monday, 29 August 2005

A likely circuit layout for the probable 2009 African grand prix in Cape Town has been revealed. Autosport published a detailed design of a 17-corner Hermann Tilke-penned circuit that features both slow corners, and a twisty - but high speed - latter section. The South African bidding consortium's David Gant said a contract with F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone could be signed by the end of this year.

South Africa will definitely bring the Olympics to Africa for the first time. Cape Town is also the most logical choice. I already can imagine it. Beach Volleyball will be great. Having the Table Mountains as teh backdrop is picture perfect.

"I am questioning the politics in South Africa and see them on the same slope that Zimbabwe found itself on about a decade ago.

I actually see Tunis or Casablanca as the first African hosts - it kills two birds with on stone"

i respect your opinion but i believe this is utter bull...not meant in a nasty way......i advise you to visit those cities before making such statements...politics?? i live in south africa and the political situation as well as crime is not perfect but certainly not extreme as some would suggest, same slope as zimbabwe???? uh i live here again that is nonsense, economically south africa is doing well considering and it can only get better with the 2010 soccer world cup.....

mcap20041093kv.jpg

27337182.VolleyIII.jpg

27337183.VolleyIV.jpg

20896423capetown72hc.jpg

mcap20041292gg.jpg

Even though I think a Cape Town Olympic Games would be awesome, South Africa would really need to improve its sporting performance before hosting the games. I know the host country usually performs better than usual but South Africa has done really poorly at the last couple of Olympic Games. South Africa is one of those countries which has a lot of undiscovered and underdeveloped talent. It will be interesting to see how South Africa performs at next years Commonwealth Games.

thanks for ur constructive comments, appreciate it....south africa does have a long way to go with its olympic games performance which is mediocre, mainly due to the attitudes of the team selectors and so forth....there are many other reasons....basically it has to do the white and black athlete composition of the team but there are many other reasons...beijing 2008 will be the test...we have a lot to learn from australia...

:( I can't see Cape Town hosting the Olympics in 2016 and I believe they will be one shot wonders in 2020, if they win great but failing that, never again.

As with ALL other African states as de-colonisation comes into effect, corruption starts to prevail.  Zimbabwe a case in point.  Also the world can see SA doing nothing about the situation in that country.

Like many on the outside looking in, I'm old enough to remember Apathied SA and the sheer anger against White South Africans.  Today we have many White South Africans living here in New Zealand and I resent them being here.

IMO It's only a matter of time and SA will become another African basket case that Bob Geldof can have an excuse for partying over.

:(

well thats your opinion....i live in south africa...if anything its heading towards a better future than one you predict...the 2010 soccer world cup is one of those events....your "view" of what might happen is very far off but i cant blame you as such...south africa is far from becoming and african basket...but you dont live here ,i on the other hand do and im fully aware of what does and does not happen here...we cannot let our past be a reason not to flourish in the future...if any african country is going to host the games 2024 or earlier its going to be south africa....

Archived