Movies Filmed In Vancouver

I wish that the Vancouver Museum has an exhibition on movies and tv show that was filmed here. It would be nice addition to the olympic.

Watchmen was filmed here and here's a website regarding the making of the movie. Most of the sets is very close where I live at. You can actually see the olympic clock in one of the segment of the the documentary.

http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2009/03/designing-the-w.html

Watchmen

X-men 2 and 3

Fantastic 4

Part of Wolverine was shot in Vancouver

X-file

Smallville (you can see part of the set while riding on the skytrain)

Supernatural

New Moon (twilight)

I robot

The day the earth stood still

Battlestar galactica

Stargate

Nigth at the museum

L world

Scary movie

Blade

Jumanji

Never ending story.....etc

Lots of movie and TV shows were filmed there. Don't forget about Richard Dean Anderson and his giant Mullet when they filmed four seasons of MacGyver there, or where Captain Jack Sparrow pretty much started his career on 21 Jump Street. As far as X-Files goes, season 1 to 5 was filmed there along with the new movie I Want To Believe, and parts of Fight the Future. Here's a whole list on IMDB:

IMDB page for TV shows and movies filmed in Vancouver, BC

The list is huge, there's 2414 other listings past the first page.

This was filmed in Munich, Germany. Maybe the crappy sequels were filmed in Vancouver - but the original was not.

The majority of the movie was filmed in Germany, however, parts of the opening and ending were filmed in Gastown (Vancouver). You can clearly see the Lookout at Harbour Center and I think you can even spot the steam clock in a shot.

I knew you would say that. It's still a very peripheral connection.

Cultural Program is totally part of the Olympic Games organisation

Cultural Program is totally part of the Olympic Games organisation

It's NOT even the Cultural Olympiad. I think what the Original poster was referring to was the stage crews, etc., who would work with the Ceremonies. Nothing whatsoever to do with the Cultural Olympiad.

All of the past host cities, of course, employ these people to put on the Ceremonies; just as they hire laborers to build the venues; just as they have workers and teachers, accountants, everyday people paying their taxes which will go to stage the Olympic Games. So I guess everyone udner the sun is involved in the Olympic Games.

May be my english is not as good as your one, but when the original poster wrote "I wish that the Vancouver Museum has an exhibition on movies and tv show that was filmed here. It would be nice addition to the olympic.", I understood that he made a wish to see an exhibition about movies filmed in Vancouver ... and this during the 2010 Olympic Games!

So for me could be part of the Cultural Olympiad... a link between the universality of the games and the universality of movies filmes in Vancouver.

Nothing dealing with ceremonies...

It's NOT even the Cultural Olympiad. I think what the Original poster was referring to was the stage crews, etc., who would work with the Ceremonies. Nothing whatsoever to do with the Cultural Olympiad.

All of the past host cities, of course, employ these people to put on the Ceremonies; just as they hire laborers to build the venues; just as they have workers and teachers, accountants, everyday people paying their taxes which will go to stage the Olympic Games. So I guess everyone udner the sun is involved in the Olympic Games.

Never ending story.....etc
This was filmed in Munich, Germany. Maybe the crappy sequels were filmed in Vancouver - but the original was not.
Watch the ending of the original movie and you will see them flying over downtown Vancouver. Some of the scenes were filmed in Germany.
The majority of the movie was filmed in Germany, however, parts of the opening and ending were filmed in Gastown (Vancouver). You can clearly see the Lookout at Harbour Center and I think you can even spot the steam clock in a shot.

When I was a kid I was a huge fan of the book "Die unendliche Geschichte" (The Never Ending Story) and I was very glad that Wolfgang Petersen wanted to make a movie out of it. He wanted to make a movie for an international audience - therefore it was decided to film the scenes, which takes place in the reality in North America, but like tnmp and skifreak have already said all the other scenes (bookshop, school attic and "phantasia") were made in the Bavaria Movie Studios in Munich.

The scene with Bastian Balthasar Bux's father and with the bullies on the street at the beginning and the "flight" of Fuchur (ooopps in English the Dragon is called Falkor) over the city at the end of the movie were filmed in Vancouver (by the way these both scenes are not in the book)...

I just watched the scene with the bullies on the street on youtube and I have a question is it common that pupils in North America have satchels on their back like in Germany? And these three boys have even the famous "Scout" satchels, which were invented in 1975 in Germany...

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius

Backpacks? Those are pretty common. There are many different styles. Those boxier ones are rare, but backpacks are so common amongst travelers, that there is a very common expression about "backpacking through" insert location here.

I always thought that in North-America the pupils and students have lockers in school, where they can lock up their books etc. etc. - in Germany you have to bring the exercise books, pencil cases, food/drinks from home to school and back every day, since we do not have lockers in schools.

Therefore the pupils (especially in elementary school) have such satchels - those boxier are very common since the mid seventies here in Germany, since they are much lighter than the heavy leather satchels.

dvrbild_schulweg.jpg

Older students use more real backpacks or other bags...

I always thought that in North-America the pupils and students have lockers in school, where they can lock up their books etc. etc. - in Germany you have to bring the exercise books, pencil cases, food/drinks from home to school and back every day, since we do not have lockers in schools.

Therefore the pupils (especially in elementary school) have such satchels - those boxier are very common since the mid seventies here in Germany, since they are much lighter than the heavy leather satchels.

dvrbild_schulweg.jpg

Older students use more real backpacks or other bags...

CAF, I think middle school (so grades 6-9) use the lockers; so the older students. Whereas the younger ones because they cannot reach the locks -- and it is so much easier to stick a small child in a locker, are denied the use of lockers. So, they have to lug everything to school AND back. Yes, load the little ones with these tons of stuff. I hated that in grade school.

CAF, I think middle school (so grades 6-9) use the lockers; so the older students. Whereas the younger ones because they cannot reach the locks -- and it is so much easier to stick a small child in a locker, are denied the use of lockers. So, they have to lug everything to school AND back. Yes, load the little ones with these tons of stuff. I hated that in grade school.

Sorry to continue the off-topicness, but even with lockers you do have to carry some sort of bag in middle and high school. The amount of minutes between classes isn't enough to run to the other side of the building to your locker for a god-forsaken Physics book, or because they make you bring 3 textbooks and a copy of Ayn Rand's 700-page The Fountainhead home every night. Etc.

My middle school didn't let you bring backpacks to class though, because someone MIGHT TRIP AND DIE if you left your's on an aisle. Am I glad I'm out of our public schools and their ridiculous way of running some things.

To get out of this off-topic and back to the off-topic :D, Fox's tv series FRINGE is moving all of their productions from New York to Vancouver starting in season 2.

And as for recent films (as in the past few months or past year)....filmed in Vancouver:

- X-Men Origins: Wolverine

- The Day The Earth Stood Still

- Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian

- Watchmen

I like such "normal life" things - it is much more interesting to talk such things than to talk about the weather or if a city is more beautiful than another one...

Such normal life things make it easier to understand other people - I like to work in the office when I was the last time in New York - it is totally different to talk the LIRR train to make a tour as a tourist or as somebody who goes to work...

By the way here are the shooting locations of "The Never Ending Story" in Vancouver:

Ridgeway Elementary School at Third Ave., Gastown, White Rock and the city center

I heard there is a remake project for The Neverending Story. Maybe we'll see more of Vancouver in this new project.

BTW, I liked the way this topic got "off topic". People in gamesbids talking about normal life? Not a thing we see everyday. :lol:

Interesting article on CTV BC today:

BC movie industry defies economic gloom

B.C. movie industry defies economic gloom

Updated: Mon Mar. 09 2009 13:53:15

ctvbc.ca

B.C.'s motion picture industry is a bright spot in the current economic gloom, bringing in $1.2 billion in 2008, an increase of more than $250 million over 2007.

Provincial Arts minister Bill Bennett said the numbers proved B.C. continued to be an important location for international filmmakers due to "our stunning locations, skilled professional workforce and world-class motion picture infrastructure."

According to data released Monday by the BC Film Commission, total motion picture production spending and numbers of projects in British Columbia in 2008 are up almost 30 per cent over 2007, with the majority of the increase in foreign feature film activity.

While domestic spending as a whole decreased slightly, domestic animation spending increased 79 per cent, to over $96 million, compared to $53 million in 2007.

Overall numbers of domestic television and film projects were also up, by 75 per cent and four per cent, respectively.

B.C. is home to the third-largest film and television service production centre in North America, after Los Angeles and New York, markets which both saw drops in overall shooting days in 2008.

I actually liked the Day the Earth Stood Still - not a big Keanu Reaves fan though. For me, the real kicker to this film is that one of the plainclothes FBI agents near the beginning of the film, I'm looking at him wondering where I saw him before, until it dawned on me (well, not me, but by bf) that he was in our apartment a couple years earlier, filming a short film called 'Locked Out'. I'm not involved in the movie industry, so I still get a laugh out of the fact that this guy who was in my house and opening my fridge is in a movie I paid to go see.

Still on topic with the thread at least... ;)

ohh - I didn't know that - I hope the remake will stick a little bit more to the book than the 80s movie...

Yeah, I saw it here:

http://www.omelete.com.br/cine/100018274/V...ia_Sem_Fim.aspx

It's in Portuguese. It says Appian Way (owned by Leonardo DiCaprio I think) is negotiating with Kennedy/Marshall Co. and WB to remake the 1984 classic. It says Warner Brothers already have the rights and, according to the Hollywood Reporter, the idea is to focus on the corners that weren't explored in the other adaptations. But it's premature to say anything about the project since there's no script yet and the producers are talking about the concepts.

Maybe they'll stick with the original locations and we'll see more Vancouver on the movies.

BTW, did you know Michael Ende was born in Garmisch-Partenkirchen?