15th Fina World Championships In 2013

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:DAnother bronze for Lauren Boyle today...still waiting for her main event tonight, 800m. Hopefully another medal. 2 down 1 to go.

Sister flatted with Danyon in Dunedin way back in 1993/4, immature as, BUT with a heart of gold! :) Had a real hardarse coach, Duncan Lang...which is what is needed now.

Swim NZ is in a real mess at the moment, you can see that on Danyon's (and Mos Bermester's) much older and wiser face today.

They really need this moral boost.

As much as Lauren is peaking in time for 2014, ...Tabitha Baumann is the way forward for 2016 onward.

Yes this is just what New Zealand swimming needed.

Oh has she made her mind up? She is definitely competing for NZL?

I wasn't able to find anything definitive on her, but it looks like her older brother is committed to compete for Canada (he is on the worlds team this year and has moved back to Canada).

The CBC is convinced she is competing for Canada and the fact she isn't at the World Championships this year also strongly indicates she is going to be competing for Canada. Especially since the 2012 articles talk about the World Championships and how it would be hard to go to the Canadian trials with finishing high school. She is also listed with Swim Canada

I wasn't able to find anything definitive on her, but it looks like her older brother is committed to compete for Canada (he is on the worlds team this year and has moved back to Canada).

She did compete for Canada in smaller events in June as far as I know. But the men's team is what needs an infusion of talent. Minus Cochrane this team has no athletes that even have the potential to qualify for the semis

She did compete for Canada in smaller events in June as far as I know. But the men's team is what needs an infusion of talent. Minus Cochrane this team has no athletes that even have the potential to qualify for the semis

Not quite that dire (Charles Francis did make a semies), but damn close. It looks like most of the men's team retired after London. The relays are particularly painful to watch.

Also, watching how well Franklin swims, I wonder if she might not match or exceed Canada's all time Olympic gold medal count in swimming (7). I'm not sure how to feel about that. Nice to see a Canadian (albeit one that has never lived in or represented Canada) do so well, but in another sense it highlights just how far behind the program is.

You're probibly right there re: Tabitha. I was going on a dated article. There was the concern about Swim NZs litteral disintergration over the last five years. Canada's regain, NZs loss. Still, next years CWGs are going to be interestingly even in the pool. Something that I've been looking foward to.

Call me a big old cynic, but I haven't been a fan of swimming since Ian Thorpe was at his peak. I never liked Michael Phelps. I still don't. Ever since Michael Phelps began running the table internationally, it seems like every prominent American athlete who competes at the Olympics or their Worlds has to have a plan to win wheelbarrows full of gold medals. I don't know if it's their choice to attempt such a haul or if they're pressured in part by the USOC and NBC Universal to do so in the hopes that prolific American Olympic/World Championship campaigns = big bucks and the preservation of America's unequaled status in the world. With Missy Franklin trying to get her wheelbarrow full, these campaigns are getting so commonplace that it's becoming boring. In swimming, outside the Olympics and Worlds and continental events, the elite and up-and-comers don't compete against each other internationally as much, which is unusual for a blue-ribbon Olympic sport such as swimming. Most of the other Olympic sports/disciplines see athletes competing against each other all around the world year in and year out, and it's been good for the growth of their respective sports. Swimming doesn't have a Diamond League-type circuit (the short-course Swimming World Cup doesn't count). If it did, then these runaway medal hauls by the Americans at championship meets would be relatively rare. To be fair, I don't even know if these campaigns are benefitting American swimmers. What exactly was Michael Phelps trying to prove with his eighteen Olympic gold medals? What exactly are Missy Franklin and Ryan Lochte trying to prove with their campaigns? Pushing the boundaries of human endurance? Big business? All of these things have just turned me off from watching swimming on TV and even recreational swimming. I haven't been in a pool in over two years.

New Zealand's Lauren Boyle has won her third bronze medal of these championships by winning bronze in the women's 800m. It's new Zealand's best result at a world champs since 1994 when Danyon Loader won 3 medals. Good on her. She should do well at next years commonwealth games.

At least you guys are winning medals, as yet poor GB has won nothing in the pool. We are having a shocker and we thought that London was bad with only 3 minor medals. But with Becky Adlington retired things seem to be going from bad to worse :(

You won a medal this afternoon, bronze in women's 50m freestyle.

USA disqualified, France win men's 4x100m medley relay

BARCELONA — France won the men's 4x100m medley relay gold at swimming's world championships on Sunday with Australia second and Japan third after defending champions USA were disqualified.

Although Nathan Adrian of the USA touched the wall first, judges ruled Kevin Cordes had dived in too early on the second leg, causing the disqualification.

The French quartet clocked 3min 31.51sec with Australia at 0.13 back and Japan at 0.75 adrift.

APF

Championships are over

Medal table:

1. USA 15 10 9 34

2. China 14 8 4 26

3. Russia 9 6 4 19

4. France 4 1 4 9

5. Hungary 4 1 2 7

6. Australia 3 11 0 14

7. Germany 3 3 4 10

8. Brazil 3 2 5 10

9. South Africa 3 1 1 5

10. Spain 1 6 5 12

11. Italy 1 3 1 5

12. Denmark 1 3 0 4

13. Japan 1 2 3 6

14. Greece 1 1 0 2

14. Lithuania 1 1 0 2

14. Sweden 1 1 0 2

17. Netherlands 1 0 3 4

18. Tunisia 1 0 1 2

19. Colombia 1 0 0 1

20. Canada 0 3 4 7

21. Poland 0 2 1 3

22. Ukraine 0 1 4 5

23. Great Britain 0 1 1 2

24. Belgium 0 1 0 1

24. Montenegro 0 1 0 1

26. Mexico 0 0 4 4

27. New Zealand 0 0 3 3

28. Croatia 0 0 1 1

28. Finland 0 0 1 1

28. Malaysia 0 0 1 1

28. Trinidad and Tobago 0 0 1 1

It was a mixed bag for Canada.

Diving went about as well as could be expected. Synchronized swimming was a disaster. Opening water was a mixed bag, got a medal but not the one expected. But given what happened in the 10km with Weinberger, him managing to finish 5th within 0.7s of a medal is impressive.

As for swimming. Horrible. The only bright spot was Caldwell and Cochrane. It seems like some of the ladies have taken a step back from a year ago.

Canada did as much as expected here in Barcelona. The Women stepped up in a couple events but also went back in a couple. The men's teams besides Cochrane is the weakest I have seen it. Overall a total of 10 finals, more than in London which can be considered mildly successful.

Wow. Hungary and France beat Australia. Big disappointment too for Italy. The six silvers for Spain won't be enough to boost Madrid. If Spain had won 3 or 4 golds, then maybe Madrid 2020 could crow, but...with only one gold, Spain is still a lightweight insofar as the marquee Olympic sports.

And many of those silvers came in non-Olympic events as well.

Taking into account only Olympic events, this would be the medal table:

1. United States 12 6 7 25

2. China 10 3 3 16

3. Hungary 4 1 2 7

4. Australia 3 10 0 13

5. Russia 3 6 3 12

6. France 3 0 3 6

7. Brazil 2 1 3 6

8. South Africa 2 1 0 3

9. Spain 1 4 2 7

10. Germany 1 2 2 5

10. Japan 1 2 2 5

12. Sweden 1 1 0 2

13. Netherlands 1 0 2 3

14. Greece 1 0 0 1

14. Lithuania 1 0 0 1

16. Canada 0 2 3 5

17. Italy 0 2 1 3

17. Poland 0 2 1 3

19. Denmark 0 2 0 2

20. Montenegro 0 1 0 1

21. Mexico 0 0 2 2

21. New Zealand 0 0 2 2

21. Ukraine 0 0 2 2

24. Croatia 0 0 1 1

24. Finland 0 0 1 1

24. Great Britain 0 0 1 1

24. Malaysia 0 0 1 1

24. Trinidad and Tobago 0 0 1 1

24. Tunisia 0 0 1 1

As a personal experience I have to tell you Barcelona did it AWESOME! Indeed I think Madrid can deliver something like that too. (Tomorrow I will uplod pics)

USA won on medal tally, but it seems Europen nations are becoming stronger... Beware for Kazan 2015

Archived