Media Advisory - Vanoc To Make Opening And Closing Ceremonies Announcement

And the thing is...Athens ranks up there.

Athens was -- and I've said this before -- ground-breaking only on the scale of the stage/theatrical effects it used. But their OC had absolutely no joy or say, the controlled energy of Beijing, that made it celebratory. It was a show of DARING STAGECRAFT...nothing more. The Klypsedra was, yeah, colorful on TV, but I believe extremely flat in the stadium. But daring stagecraft DOESN'T REALLY relate to a celebration of the Games. It was different but weak in relating to the City that was hosting the Games. All other openings had more VIBRANT Ceremonies which told BOTH the stories of the host city/region/country and tied it to the Olympics -- whereas Athens I beleive was the weakest, and here most paradoxially, in terms of relating to the idea of the Olympics coming home. To what? An exploding giant styrofoam headache?? A DNA? All that micro-symbolism falls flat in a large arena.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

• 1 month later...

Has anyone audition for the opening and closing olympic ceremonies? My friends will have their audition on Sunday. They will be part of a group for the beginer and intermediate atheletes (basically people who are not dancer) and the other group will be for the dancers.

I also saw a short segment on the news regarding the audition and they interviewed a 75 years old man and a lady from Quebec. It looks fun and they still need more male.

baron..you are right in some point like the flatness of the kylpsedra.......but the Opening Ceremonies are television events first and foremost - Even before the 100, 000 of so ppl seated in the stadium at the live event. Athens none the less was ground breaking. Of the OC's of the Sydney 2000 games, the Athens 2004 games and the Beijing 2008 games, which was the most stunning in your opinion? For me its Athens!

baron..you are right in some point like the flatness of the kylpsedra.......but the Opening Ceremonies are television events first and foremost - Even before the 100, 000 of so ppl seated in the stadium at the live event. Athens none the less was ground breaking. Of the OC's of the Sydney 2000 games, the Athens 2004 games and the Beijing 2008 games, which was the most stunning in your opinion? For me its Athens!

Beijing was by far JAW-DROPPER to the Max. Athens had a few great moments...but they were really isolated and spoke of how GREAT the stage machinery was...but to me,,,did not convey how that really related to Greek culture.

Based on some conversations I've heard on the radio, VANOC is busy auditioning people for the ceremonies... mostly dancers, sporty types. They are leaving the music and singing up to the professionals. No need for Canadian Idol. LOL!