Look Of The Games

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or maybe these were the rings of Beijing's OC -- minus the black netting?

Now, come to think of it -- maybe the 5 rings that turned to fire in the Salt Lake 2002 ice rink might've been bought by Athens since those also burst into flame in the water!!

All this ring talk made me realize that I've seen this design at every Olympics. Every single one (!!!!) has these 5 interlocking rings! VANOC should have been more original than this!

Message for REI,

I have seen some of your photos of Torino here, they are all beautiful.

Now I'd like to ask you a favour, if you can, please send here some photos from inside of the Torino Olympic Stadium with the famous Rings.

Unfortunately, I'm not able to do it.

Thank you very much in advance!

All this ring talk made me realize that I've seen this design at every Olympics. Every single one (!!!!) has these 5 interlocking rings! VANOC should have been more original than this!

And it's a logo VERY MUCH IN ERROR (there are really 6 inhabited continents) -- yet one of the most recognized brands around the world.

This set of rings must also be the same set that lit up Salt Lake's surrounding mountains. :o

1628.jpg

:wacko:

I was looking for that very image. Those rings were actually more like a solar panel field.

ields of flourescent bulbs were stuck into the gournd like at a 45 degree angle. They were NOT at all solid rings like what is originally pictured at the start of this thread.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I was looking for that very image. Those rings were actually more like a solar panel field.

ields of flourescent bulbs were stuck into the gournd like at a 45 degree angle. They were NOT at all solid rings like what is originally pictured at the start of this thread.

Yeah, I figured.

New massive picture showing that the Vancouver airport Olympic rings are clearly NOT the same rings from Torino. ;) The Vancouver rings are intertwined, whereas the Torino ones are separate:

DSC_0113.JPG

Behold: The First of Five Giant Olympic Rings to be Erected in Vancouver

Posted by Vancity Buzz | Tuesday, March 03, 2009 | Olympics, Vancouver

http://vancitybuzz.blogspot.com/2009/03/5-...-vancouver.html

A buddy of mine was flying in from Toronto the other day to job hunt here on the west coast when he noticed a giant Olympic ring being erected near the "Welcome to BC" sign. This is the first of five Olympic rings to be installed in time for the Olympics. The Lions Gate and Burrard Bridge are other two candidates. I don't know the other two locations just yet, but I heard that the North Shore mountains might get them, something similar to the Hollywood sign.

As you can see the rings have bulbs around them and will light up at night. This is the beginning of the Olympic public art initiative. I can't wait to see the rest, I'm sure the rest of the buzzers feel the same.

I wonder how long it will be before the APC come and vandalize the rings? You know chew up more tax dollars in cleaning/replacing them. A drain on society they are indeed...

Burrard Street Bridge before

3254208543_6965f7a568.jpg

1374817041_8424ff519b.jpg

Burrard Street Bridge after

oly1uu0.jpg

Lions Gate Bridge before

oly5np5.jpg

oly6wh9.jpg

Lions Gate Bridge after

oly2vu6.jpg

Side of Whistler Mountain after

oly3io6.jpg

Canada Place/Vancouver Convention & Exhibition Centre/Main Media Centre

oly4ar1.jpg

3324073164_5eed25052d_b.jpg

Grouse Mountain (the middle mountain) will have massive Olympic rings atop its peak

2579810410_07591a2675.jpg

Olympic rings to light up airport

By Damian Inwood, The Province

March 4, 2009

Visitors to Vancouver are now being welcomed by a set of 15-metre-tall, illuminated Olympic rings as they leave Vancouver International Airport.

The rings are the first in a series which are being erected by the Ministry of Transportation.

On Thursday at 6 p.m. B.C. Premier Gordon Campbell will officially light the rings, which are made up of more than 20,000 low-energy LED lights.

According to one Province source, it will cost $3 per day to power the lights.

A government news release says the rings can be programmed "for stunning light displays."

Two other candidates for sets of rings are believed to be the Burrard Street Bridge and the Lions Gate Bridge and there's been speculation that a giant, illuminated set of rings may be placed on the North Shore mountains.

Colin Hansen, Minister responsible for the 2010 Winter Games confirmed that the cost of the rings at Vancouver International Airport is $1.3 million.

VANOC's John Furlong has expressed the idea of having a giant set of Olympic rings attached to barges in English Bay, to get ready for that moment. (Olympic rings on the Lions Gate Bridge or on Grouse Mountain seem like a no-brainer, too.)

dinwood@theprovince.com

© Copyright © The Province

IMG_1098.jpg

IMG_1104.jpg

IMG_1103.jpg

That sure did shut lehari up.

That sure did shut lehari up.

Actually, it is possible to use the same metal framework from previously AND change the light rigging. I mean...say London could buy that black netting Beijing used for a similar purpose. Biejing put in all white lights. What's to stop London or Sochi from just changing the colors of the bulbs to gold or yellow BUT STILL use the same netting? Same thing as these rings.

Obviously VANOC just put in solid neon lights around it. But of course notice the center ring color is wrong!! It should be black.

Actually, it is possible to use the same metal framework from previously AND change the light rigging. I mean...say London could buy that black netting Beijing used for a similar purpose. Biejing put in all white lights. What's to stop London or Sochi from just changing the colors of the bulbs to gold or yellow BUT STILL use the same netting? Same thing as these rings.

Now you're just grasping at straws....it was already reported in the local news that these were built in B.C., and consider that they cost $1.3-million to build.

Obviously VANOC just put in solid neon lights around it. But of course notice the center ring color is wrong!! It should be black.

You're also gonna have to put up your case with human eyes and electromagnetic radiation.....as well as the rings from Beijing, Torino...

402975.jpg

610x.jpg

Sometimes I wonder about you baron.

Black is achieved by a material that absorbs visible light 100% and doesn't remit light. Therefore to have a light that fluoresces black is impossible. Its basic chemistry and physics.

Message for REI,

I have seen some of your photos of Torino here, they are all beautiful.

Now I'd like to ask you a favour, if you can, please send here some photos from inside of the Torino Olympic Stadium with the famous Rings.

Unfortunately, I'm not able to do it.

Thank you very much in advance!

I could check among old pics if it's so important for you, but why are you making a big deal with this? :)

It's obviously not the same as Torino's, and it was already reported that the rings were manufactured in B.C. for $1.3-million. They even look different, as the YVR rings are a one piece while Torino's is five separate rings....to think that they came all the way from Torino, you'd have to be delusional and quite arrogant.

Case closed.

Some closeups of the airport Olympic rings from flickr, clearly showing that these rings ARE not from Torino aside from the fact that the news has reported that they are built in B.C. for $1.3-million.

3326104053_8b4d85107a_b.jpg

3326940146_3f45e1e78e_b.jpg

3326105253_1465f22eb1_b.jpg

3326936278_243480182e_b.jpg

3326932184_5cecf4f349_b.jpg

3326093333_c834436fac_b.jpg

3326933804_da0e835c40_b.jpg

3323424923_2050f3aeac_b.jpg

3323423701_7b88204445_b.jpg

It's obviously not the same as Torino's, and it was already reported that the rings were manufactured in B.C. for $1.3-million. They even look different, as the YVR rings are a one piece while Torino's is five separate rings....to think that they came all the way from Torino, you'd have to be delusional and quite arrogant.

Case closed.

After I saw these pictures I can truly say they're not the same rings at all.

The Torino rings were much more grand and massive in confront of these.

Baron, you were right from the first moment! Thanks for your support!

Anyway, it was fun! :lol:

Rei, forget about it!

Case closed until the next issue... :P