Look Of The Games

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Vancouver’s Look is the best since Athens 2004.

It has a great sense of the natural and the urban fused, which strikes me as so Vancouver.

For example, the awesome juxtaposition in the patterns and textures - Wood grain and condo glass, rain drops and cobblestones, moss and fish netting, foliage and modern architecture, Haida / Salish art and graffiti, clouds and street grids, etc.

And I love the green and blue. It works for Vancouver. The bright tones of Athens and Torino suited them as Mediterranean hosts. The contrast of Salt Lake’s orange and blue reflected the contrast of the Utah landscape. Beijing’s color palette was taken from ancient Chinese architecture and art.

… And Vancouver is very scenic, very lush, very moist, very fresh… very green and blue.

I'm not for every host going for yellows and reds because they are the "warmest," the palette should represent the city / region and the identity of the Games they will host. Vancouver will be about athletes competing in both urban and natural environments, in a part of the world where both of these envioments are closely merged. I see nothing but this in this Look. Very well done.

I prefer the new look. It's modern and the colour fits Vancouver. Plus it looks great when it's on a huge wall.

For me it's too busy. They've crammed too many little details in it. Those little details will be lost in the lightpost banners? Who will climb up on those lamposts to see and appreciate the fine detail up-close? No one. So, it's a waste of detail.

I like stark, plain banners that SCREAM ATHENS or LONDON or ULAN BATOR or whatever!!

Edited by baron-pierreIV

For me it's too busy. They've crammed too many little details in it. Those little details will be lost in the lightpost banners? Who will climb up close to appreciate those? No one. So, it's a waste of detail.

I see what you mean.

That's why I think that - for television at least (at the venues) - they'll edit and tone things down here and there. Maybe cutting out things like the sea planes and light posts, and magnifying the textures so you only see a few in most shots (like Athens, for example).

These things have to go through testing and be approved by every party involved anyway. I know that in Beijing, they played around with the Look at venues well after competition had begun.

These things have to go through testing and be approved by every party involved anyway. I know that in Beijing, they played around with the Look at venues well after competition had begun.

Well, with some 2 dozen venues, what outfits the athletes will be wearing, what angle the sun is for outdoor venues, (if those orange-clad Dutch or crazy green-&-yellow Brazilians FILL the stands), etc., etc., -- it's really a BIG and hard job to see what will come off best on TV these days. It was so much easier when everything was just b&w. :lol::lol:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

More than 6,000 signs to help direct Olympic visitors

By Damian Inwood, The Province

March 2, 2009 4:02 PM

More than 6,000 temporary street and transit signs will be put up to help people find their way to the 2010 Olympics.

The signs will include Vancouver 2010 transportation operations at depots, compounds and park-and-rides, TransLink and B.C. Transit routes, municipalities around Greater Vancouver and the Sea-to-Sky corridor and celebration zones.

According to a tender document, TransLink will need between 3,378 and 3,598 signs, Vancouver will need 1,030 signs, Richmond will need between 706 and 997 signs, Vancouver 2010 will need 475 signs, West Vancouver will need 250 signs, the B.C. Ministry of Transport will need 69 signs and the University of B.C. will need 67 signs.

The number of signs needed in Whistler is still to be determined.

The signs need to have "visual uniformity" and integrate Vancouver 2010's "look of the Games."

They will be installed between Aug. 1 this year and Jan. 31, 2010.

The request-for-proposals document lists competition venues in Vancouver, Whistler, West Vancouver and Richmond.

It also lists non-competition venues, including four official hotels, Vancouver International Airport, B.C. Place Stadium, the Main Press Centre at Canada Place and the Olympic Villages at False Creek and in Whistler, celebration sites and three Vancouver practice rinks.

dinwood@theprovince.com

© Copyright © The Province

Wow....talk about a waste of bandwidth and ruining a perfectly good topic. Two pages of this sillyness? This is absolutely retarded.

Or you work for Vanoc or you're simply impassioned about Vancouver 2010. :rolleyes:

Believe me, I can understand you, but you'll have to accept all the criticisms that are made to all host cities for the Olympic Games.

It's not going to be a easy year for Vancouver at all, I know what I'm talking about... :P

Or you work for Vanoc or you're simply impassioned about Vancouver 2010. :rolleyes:

Believe me, I can understand you, but you'll have to accept all the criticisms that are made to all host cities for the Olympic Games.

It's not going to be a easy year for Vancouver at all, I know what I'm talking about... :P

There are educated opinions and then there's nonsense, like claiming these are the same rings from Torino. :rolleyes:

So much for rational thought.

There are educated opinions and then there's nonsense, like claiming these are the same rings from Torino. :rolleyes:

So much for rational thought.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????

They simply ARE the same rings from Torino, that's all!

More educated than this.............

1. There is only so many ways you can construct the Olympic rings, the ones on the Sydney Harbour Bridge also look similar.

2. If you look at the interlacing support structure, Torino's was wider and the distance between the rings was also greater

3. Where's your proof? Or is this just Mediterranean arrogance again?

For once I agree with you.

As for the look, I did like Torino's it was bright, vibrant and full of life, the medals were spectacular and the general artistic impression of the games was high, the competition was also great, Torino's drawbacks were the venues in Torino having no personality or interest and the ceremonies.

Edited by Faster

????????????????????????????????????????????????????

They simply ARE the same rings from Torino, that's all!

More educated than this.............

I believe lehari. He was there; he has photos and he worked with TOROC, so certainly he would've seen them close-up.

And WHY wouldn't it be possible? As he said -- and as is always the case, there's always a large contingent from the next host city studying the previous Games and learning from it -- so why is it NOT possible that someone in the Vancouver team liked those 5 rings and inquired about it. Or TOROC might've offered them to Vancouver for some bargain price.

So, rather than consign them to the scrap heap -- after all, each Olympic Games always promises to be the GREENEST, why not purchase them for one more use?? Saves VANOC from having to manufature 5 new ones and polluting the environment one more time!!

Anyhow, these are the banners that will hang in street lamp poles in 2010. On the right, you have the standard 2010 design and on the left you have a version for every sport.

closr.graphicidentity_bannera.jpg

I have to admit that in this photo the banners look very good.

I believe lehari. He was there; he has photos and he worked with TOROC, so certainly he would've seen them close-up.

And WHY wouldn't it be possible? As he said -- and as is always the case, there's always a large contingent from the next host city studying the previous Games and learning from it -- so why is it NOT possible that someone in the Vancouver team liked those 5 rings and inquired about it. Or TOROC might've offered them to Vancouver for some bargain price.

So, rather than consign them to the scrap heap -- after all, each Olympic Games always promises to be the GREENEST, why not purchase them for one more use?? Saves VANOC from having to manufature 5 new ones and polluting the environment one more time!!

Thanks for your support.

With this I think we can close the argument about the rings, unless somebody from Vanoc doesn't deny all I've said... :P:lol:

The rings at the airport are lit up at night:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thephotowalla/3327075015/

VANOC is not responsible for any decorations at the airport. These Olympic rings were built by the Vancouver International Airport Authority. These types of engineered trusses are common....in fact, Vancouver had several large independent gateway rings built for Expo '86 just like that. It's simply silly.

Look closely at the Sydney Harbour Bridge rings:

http://nla.gov.au/nla.pic-an23259657-v

The rings at the airport are lit up at night:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thephotowalla/3327075015/

VANOC is not responsible for any decorations at the airport. These Olympic rings were built by the Vancouver International Airport Authority. These types of engineered trusses are common....in fact, Vancouver had several large independent gateway rings built for Expo '86 just like that. It's simply silly.

Look closely at the Sydney Harbour Bridge rings:

http://nla.gov.au/nla.pic-an23259657-v

Well, the photo of the rings with the lights on is a little bit too far away to see the details.

Who knows, maybe Torino bought those rings from Sydney and then sold them to Vancouver... :P:blink:

Well, the photo of the rings with the lights on is a little bit too far away to see the details.

Who knows, maybe Torino bought those rings from Sydney and then sold them to Vancouver... :P:blink:

Or maybe these were the rings of Beijing's OC -- minus the black netting?

Now, come to think of it -- maybe the 5 rings that turned to fire in the Salt Lake 2002 ice rink might've been bought by Athens since those also burst into flame in the water!!

Or maybe these were the rings of Beijing's OC -- minus the black netting?

Now, come to think of it -- maybe the 5 rings that turned to fire in the Salt Lake 2002 ice rink might've been bought by Athens since those also burst into flame in the water!!

:lol::lol::lol: