Look Of The Games

Massive Olympic rings were installed this past weekend at the main entrance to Vancouver International Airport. They will be visible to tens of millions of people as they past through the access road to the airport and the new airport train line. This is the first of many Olympic decorations to come.

They should light up at night.

3320994010_b55583c0c2_b.jpg

3320021443_8a5bfd8239_b.jpg

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These Olympic Rings look soooooooo familiar to me...let me remember...yeah of course, I saw them at the Torino Olympic Stadium!

So far the Look of the Vancouver Games seems a little bit...recycled!

Well, dah. It's the Olympics, what would you expect?

These Olympic Rings look soooooooo familiar to me...let me remember...yeah of course, I saw them at the Torino Olympic Stadium!

So far the Look of the Vancouver Games seems a little bit...recycled!

Umm....yea. :rolleyes: Your complains are becoming rather ridiculous.

Olympic rings are Olympic rings, they are "recycled" after each Olympics. ;)

Rings are rings. That's the Olympic logo...hasn't changed since 1914. But Vancouver's look is blue and green with swirls and flourishes to represent mountains, sky and ocean where as Torino was more bright reds, yellows and hot pinks and inspired by piazzas.

The new look Vancouver introduced last year is beautiful and better than anything I saw at Torino. Lit up rings were hardly unique to Torino either lehari. Remember Sydney Harbour Bridge? I agree with the others that you're either being awkward or ridiculous.

Torino's look of tha games was great.. surely one of the best. It included many different color palettes in a very well put together and distinguished theme which matched particulary great on venues facade.

Vancouver's is good but a little too monocolor to me.

Torino's was really great. It was all about negative color aspects. Using black for what would normally be white backgrounds, using white print where there would normally be black or colored print. Very modern and sleek. Everything looked evening-oriented. Vancouver will be the opposite. Lots of lively green and that kind of thing.

The new look Vancouver introduced last year is beautiful and better than anything I saw at Torino. Lit up rings were hardly unique to Torino either lehari. Remember Sydney Harbour Bridge? I agree with the others that you're either being awkward or ridiculous.

And London of course is going to do much better than Beijing ;) ....and the story goes on and on and on................ :P

Ridiculous, me?........ noooooo :P:P:P

Awkward,..... probably :lol:

Anyway, I've noticed that in this forum it's forbidden to criticize Vancouver, London, Sydney, Chicago or any other "english speaking" Olympic Games or bids.

If you do so, you're immediately attacked and insulted. Pathetic.

The fact is that Vanoc bought those Rings from Torino with a good discount price. :lol::P:lol:

[quote name='Rei' date='Mar 2 2009, 01:22 PM' post='199139'

I agree.

The colors are too "cold".

The Olympics are like a big party with a lot of guests, it has to be colorful and cheerful.

And London of course is going to do much better than Beijing ;) ....and the story goes on and on and on................ :P

Ridiculous, me?........ noooooo :P:P:P

Awkward,..... probably :lol:

Anyway, I've noticed that in this forum it's forbidden to criticize Vancouver, London, Sydney, Chicago or any other "english speaking" Olympic Games or bids.

Don't be so melodramatic. If you insist on making silly points and then can't take it when people point out that they are silly, perhaps you're not on the right forum.

Don't be so melodramatic. If you insist on making silly points and then can't take it when people point out that they are silly, perhaps you're not on the right forum.

Silly, why silly?

This morning when I read this topic and saw the photos of the rings, I said "Hey, wait a minute, these are "my" rings!"

I can assure you it was so strange to see those rings now in Vancouver.

Maybe you'll understand me if/when you're gonna see them also in London ;):P

Silly, why silly?

This morning when I read this topic and saw the photos of the rings, I said "Hey, wait a minute, these are "my" rings!"

I can assure you it was so strange to see those rings now in Vancouver.

Maybe you'll understand me if/when you're gonna see them also in London ;):P

Lehari, I think those are a little larger than the ones used in Torino's Ceremonies stadium. They could be the very same ones but I think these are new ones. For one thing the Torino ones had more depth because they had the acrobats having orgasms with the Rings...PLUS those 5 there were more elaborately rigged as they "flipped' from the vertical columns they were mounted on.

Also, I doubt that the original Torino rings just sat in some corner waiting for a buyer. It was probably just easier to turn them into scrap metal rather than wait to see if Vancouver would want them... not to mention the extra expense of shipping them halfway around the world...in sections.

Of course, these could also be the 5 rings that lit up at night from a Utah mountainside. ;)

However, I think these are NEW rings -- if that's what you were originally alluding to.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

If somebody informed me that this is the Commonwealth Games Forum, I agree with you, perhaps I'm not on the right forum.

^ agreed, hardly recycled.

55916.jpg

60516.jpg

The thing with Vancouver's look and colors, it's like some underwater sea creature...tentacles and all.

But each Games is different -- and at some point or another -- they're going to have some repeat or new mix of colours. There are only so many colours on the visible spectrum. Not, as I said, unless Vancouver came up with, even just for marketing purposes, their own 'new' Olympic colors -- say, a Vancouver 'violette' or a Vancouver verde.

(I hope, and I think I've mentioned this before... Chicago comes up with the Chicago Creme or Chicago Crimson.)

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Torino's look of tha games was great.. surely one of the best. It included many different color palettes in a very well put together and distinguished theme which matched particulary great on venues facade.

I have to say that at the moment, I agree with Rei.

Vancouver is very good: I love it.

Howevere I really loved the warm colours that Torino used (mainly indoors and within Torino).

To be to be honest, I was sceptical about Torino look of the Games until I saw it in Torino during the Games themselves: it worked beautifully.

So in order to have a honest appraisal of Vancouver Games, I'll have to wait and see til the Games themselves.

Anyhow, it's nive to have these rings at the airport. Having a good look at the airport is crucial as it is the Gateway to the Games for most people.

Lehari, it would seem that way... But (and let me guess, you're from Italia?), the majority of the cities winning the last few Olympics have, oddly enough, been from the English-speaking countries...and the majority of posters/supporters here are from those countries... so it WOULD SEEM like there is an orchestrated conspiracy..but actually there isn't. We so often tear each other apart also.

It just happened by chance -- not that there is some written rule or such.

Lehari, I think those are a little larger than the ones used in Torino's Ceremonies stadium. They could be the very same ones but I think these are new ones. For one thing the Torino ones had more depth because they had the acrobats having orgasms with the Rings...PLUS those 5 there were more elaborately rigged as they "flipped' from the vertical columns they were mounted on.

Also, I doubt that the original Torino rings just sat in some corner waiting for a buyer. It was probably just easier to turn them into scrap metal rather than wait to see if Vancouver would want them... not to mention the extra expense of shipping them halfway around the world...in sections.

Of course, these could also be the 5 rings that lit up at night from a Utah mountainside.

However, I think these are NEW rings -- if that's what you were originally alluding to.

No, baron-pierreIV, I don't agree with you at all.

I'm sure about what I said, they are the Torino rings.

I saw them live at the Stadium, the were huge.

I have many photos of those rings, I compared them with the Vancouver ones and they are identical.

There were a lots of people from Vancouver at Torino during the Olympics , I don't find that hard to believe that the've made some shopping while they were there!

I think Lehari was just being 'light-heartedly proprietary' about the the 5 rings which appeared in the Torino OC just before the atheltes marched in. I have NOT taken him seriously.

I think we should have responded to him/her(?) in an equally light-hearted manner (as I tried to do). I think that 'context' was lost on this cold medium.

No, baron-pierreIV, I don't agree with you at all.

I'm sure about what I said, they are the Torino rings.

I saw them live at the Stadium, the were huge.

I have many photos of those rings, I compared them with the Vancouver ones and they are identical.

Oh, OK. If you were there and you have many photos...then perhaps you are right.

But I don't think this is so shocking or strange. So it's like the 'Antwerp' flag; it'll get passed on from one Winter host to another. I mean 'recycling' is the in-thing, so one party's 'trash' is another's 'treasure,' as they say. So Torino got back some money for their expenditure; and Vancouver probably got a bargain. It's a win-win.

With Sochi's budget being down-sized, maybe they will buy it too afterwards??

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Lehari, it would seem that way... But (and let me guess, you're from Italia?), the majority of the cities winning the last few Olympics have, oddly enough, been from the English-speaking countries...and the majority of posters/supporters here are from those countries... so it WOULD SEEM like there is an orchestrated conspiracy..but actually there isn't. We so often tear each other apart also.

It just happened by chance -- not that there is some written rule or such.

I'm from Scandinavia but actually I live in Italy.

I've worked for Toroc before and during the Torino Games.

I know there's no conspiracy, but it seems that the majority of the people that write here take always the part of who comes from US or Commonwealth, so simple.

Anyhow, these are the banners that will hang in street lamp poles in 2010. On the right, you have the standard 2010 design and on the left you have a version for every sport.

closr.graphicidentity_bannera.jpg

I liked the looks from Athens, Atlanta, and Torino best - they were warm, inviting, and spoke for the region that hosted. Vancouver's is OK, but I do agree that the colours are a bit "cool". They were chosen, though, because those are the colours that surround Vancouver. Blue ocean. Green mountains. And so they speak for the region that is hosting. I'm sure in Olympic format, they'll do their job, which is to set the tone and act as a background for the competitions. But I kinda preferred the first iteration of this look (less detailed...none of those odd umbrella and dragonfly things) and the richer purples and details found in the look for the Cultural Olympiad. Just personal tastes.