A Strange Request Of Money From The Olympicfoundation Canada

lehari

A strange request of money (from $20,10...) has been send by e-mail to wannabe-volunteers etc. to Europe by Olympicfoundation Canada.

They ask this "contribution" to help the Canadian athletes to win gold in Vancouver.

I've heard people from different European countries puzzled about this request, like "what a heck, they ask us to finance the Canadians to win!?!?

Is the economic crisis that bad in Canada?????

OK, but I don't understand why do they ask money from the Canadians?

They ask you to finance the training of Canadian athletes...to win Olympic gold in Vancouver...

This is the first time I hear something like this...it seems that the financial crisis in Canada is worse than I thought...

This really isn't hard to understand! It has absolutely nothing to do with the economic situation in Canada.

Just like every other country in the world, many Canadians take pride in the success of their athletes, and feel happy when they win.

Of course the government of Canada provides funding to the Canadian athletes to help them achieve their goals. But the most basic economic principle (scarcity) says that if they had even more money, they would probably be even more successful.

So some Canadians might chose to support their athletes financially. The athletes benefit (more equipment, better training facilities), the donators benefit (pride and happiness in their team's success). Everybody wins and everyone is happy! Why do you have a problem with this??

It's more about engaging Canadians in the process. I'm sure this campaign was planned months before the financial crisis. It isn't really likely to raise hundreds of millions of dollars. Not everyone will give. But it is about engagement and making Canadians feel they had a part in an athlete's success, because frankly, if an athlete 1 year away from the Olympics isn't primed to strike a medal, he or she isn't likely to do so in that short of time.