Ideas For The Opening/closing Ceremony?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ummmm.......I've been to canada more times than probably your age. Hey but don't get offensive because you have compared your country (quite accurately i might add) to a brick wall. And no, I am offended that you think I would take sides with Faux News. I appreciate what Canada has done in Afghanistan and Iraq and I think Faux represents the very worst of the greatest country on earth. I am immensely thankful and greatful to the canadians who were unfortunately killed in service during the war. May they rest in peace and may their families receive the honour that they so rightly deserve! Thank you Canada.

Now getting back to my point, you still haven't really pointed out what is the mortar that holds the bricks together in the wall that is Canada.

The problem with Canadians making all sorts of crazy cultural assertions is that they are always whining about not being like Americans. The truth is, Canada and the states go hand-in-hand, and instead Canada needs to just relax and let the outside world decide what Canadian culture is, not go around saying "we're like a more European version of the states!" I'm very glad with the 2010 principles and designs not catering to the should-be attitudes of the country but instead promoting a could-be attitude.

The problem with Canadians making all sorts of crazy cultural assertions is that they are always whining about not being like Americans. The truth is, Canada and the states go hand-in-hand, and instead Canada needs to just relax and let the outside world decide what Canadian culture is, not go around saying "we're like a more European version of the states!" I'm very glad with the 2010 principles and designs not catering to the should-be attitudes of the country but instead promoting a could-be attitude.

To me, Canada has always been Canadian bacon (thicker than US bacon), maple syrup, and those dirty Canadian geese who make plenty ca-ca over my beloved Lake Merritt in Oakland. :angry:

And it also used to be Peter Jennings, Robert Goulet, Alex Trebek and David James Elliott. But of course the first 2 have moved on, Alex Trebek has taken US citizenship, and David James Elliott ("JAG") is nowhere to be found these days...

Flanders Field the poem could be another idea for the opening ceremony. David Atkin said in the enterview it will be a dramatic story of Canada. The poem will be very poignant if it is part of the ceremony.

Yeah, but isn't "Flanders Field" primarily about a battle in WWI? I mean how significant was Canadian participation in that other continent war? I mean I think Gallipoli is more important to NZ/Oz that Flanders Field is to Canada?

Flanders Field the poem could be another idea for the opening ceremony. David Atkin said in the enterview it will be a dramatic story of Canada. The poem will be very poignant if it is part of the ceremony.

It's an Olympic ceremony, not a multi-million dollar memorial.

As much as I like and respect that poem, it does nothing but remind Canadians of war, death, and the sacrifice soldiers make. It has no place in the ceremony.

Yeah, but isn't "Flanders Field" primarily about a battle in WWI? I mean how significant was Canadian participation in that other continent war? I mean I think Gallipoli is more important to NZ/Oz that Flanders Field is to Canada?

The reason Gallipoli seems more important is that the Aussies/Kiwis kept the memory fresh, whereas in Canada it was regulated due to the divisions it caused because of conscription.

Vimy Ridge is equal in importance to Canada has Gallipoli is to Australia in regards to the development of our national identity. It was the first battle that Canada fought as a country on our own and it was a success where the French and British failed.

Canada fought in every major battle of the war and Canada's 100 Days was a significant factor in the defeat of Germany. Until the Americans desired to get involved in late 1917, Canada had the third largest military on the Allied said.

You need to get informed about WWI and Canada's involvement before you shoot your mouth off and belittle the sacrifice Canadians made in all 4 years of the war.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Re the idea of a 'simultaneous' lighting for a small cauldron inside and a larger one outside, see the 'mirror-image' simulation here (at 1:50 mark) as done at the 40th anniversary celebration in Grenoble before the still-standing 1968 trellis-structure for the '68 cauldron.

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/searc...aire-des_events

Edited by baron-pierreIV