Ideas For The Opening/closing Ceremony?

A short clip of the "Spirit Lodge" from Vancouver Expo 86.

Apparently they change the name to "Mystery Lodge" when the show was move to Knotts Berry Farm in the State.

I woud love to see some of this ideas in the opening ceremony.

Very nice. But this is the same technique as that DNA thingie in Athens -- holographic projections on smoke or mist.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice. But this is the same technique as that DNA thingie in Athens -- holographic projections on smoke or mist.

Oh, what, the smoke emitting from the lit cauldron in the middle or suspended from the roof of the stadium not good enough to choke up the air? You wanna do this well before the flame arrives? ;)

The "Spirit Lodge" show didn't use smoke or mist to project their hollogram. Apparently the front of the stage has a wall of see through glass. Everything you see on the video are hollagrams except for the actor. The actor has to syncronize his action with the hollagram animation.

I don't think they would use 20-30 ft.-tall sheets of glass or even plexiglass in an arena setting to simulate this effect. Logistically, that would be both hazardous and confining to the rest of the proceedings which would require an "open" area. Perhaps they can do something like the pre-Tai Chi section of the Beijing show where there were handlers who moved around the 15-foot tall screens for the projections easily into and out of the stadium floor -- and those were NOT dangerous at all.

I don't think they would use 20-30 ft.-tall sheets of glass or even plexiglass in an arena setting to simulate this effect. Logistically, that would be both hazardous and confining to the rest of the proceedings which would require an "open" area. Perhaps they can do something like the pre-Tai Chi section of the Beijing show where there were handlers who moved around the 15-foot tall screens for the projections easily into and out of the stadium floor -- and those were NOT dangerous at all.

20 to 30 foot long continuous pieces of "Plexi" can be gotten and hung with not much difficulty. In fact it comes in giant rolls .

I have used it for Back lite signs. The problem is how rigid or flexible do you want it.

with the right rigging it can be raised and lowered . What would be easier to use is Scrim Cloth with is very common for theatres. Scrim Cloth was used for the Olympic Rings coming off the floor of the Birds Nest with a Fibre Optic light curtain woven in

Jim Jones

20 to 30 foot long continuous pieces of "Plexi" can be gotten and hung with not much difficulty. In fact it comes in giant rolls .

I have used it for Back lite signs. The problem is how rigid or flexible do you want it.

with the right rigging it can be raised and lowered . What would be easier to use is Scrim Cloth with is very common for theatres. Scrim Cloth was used for the Olympic Rings coming off the floor of the Birds Nest with a Fibre Optic light curtain woven in

Jim Jones

Plexi or any other smooth surface will bounce off stray/unwanted light reflections. Burlap/fabric scrims won't.

No.no. barron, I wasn't suggesting that you "project ' images of canada's natural wonders. I was refering to the the theatrical representation of the sea at Barcelona and the deep sea dreaming at sydney

Well, they tried the 'ice cracking' in Torino -- which I thought was good. So what otherCanadian geographic movements can you dramatize?

An avalanche? OK, tons of bedsheets for that one.

Caribou on the move? OK, Salt Lake City.

What can you do with the open tundra?

God hope not but unfortunately its been announced that she will be involved in the ceremonies.

How can she NOT be? :blink: I told this board that there is a Devil's pact between the IOC and the Three Divas: Dion, Brightman and Estefan.

Between the 3 of them, no two Olympic Games can happen without any of them having sung.

When did this Celine announcement come about? I haven't heard anything of the sort. I guess I wouldn't mind if she was there but she's "been there, done that" in Atlanta. Maybe the closing ceremony? I just always prefer that the Opening Ceremony be more about the country telling its story through allegories and high brow artistic expression and the closing can be more about pop stars and big name celebrities.

Barron, what about the northern lights in thousands of glittering torches? What about the scenery of the rockies? or the story of canada's great rivers.....or the group as seven as Kendegra suggested.

Those sound like very plausible ideas, except personally I would have NO idea how to dramatize those on a grand interior scale. But I am sure Atkins & Co. will come up with something suitable. Am not familiar with the Group of Seven (Beijing passed on the Gang of Five though... :lol: ) artists. Of course the G8 already surpassed them. :lol:

How can she NOT be? :blink: I told this board that there is a Devil's pact between the IOC and the Three Divas: Dion, Brightman and Estefan.

Between the 3 of them, no two Olympic Games can happen without any of them having sung.

OH my Gloria Estefan for the Olympics ? funny thing is I have known her lighting designer since 1990 and he has worked with a Real Diva first name Diana and he said to me that Gloria is far from a Diva LOL. Celine Dion well hey what could we say.

Jim jones

BC's floral emblem is the Pacific Dogwood.

BC is a rather young place (150 years as of last year) so it doesn't have a very long history of the modern type of settlement, so most folklore is from first nations. The Salish and Haida first nations have been around for eons and they have a rich tradition. I've discussed the creation myth story before and the Spirit of Haida Gwaii is a relevant story that would fit with the Olympic theme. But the Raven, Thunderbird, Orca, Salmon, and Spirit Bear are all important creatures in local first nation's folklore. But their art has a lot of wealth in it too...masks, carvings, the sun, totem poles, and fabrics.

BC's floral emblem is the Pacific Dogwood.

BC is a rather young place (150 years as of last year) so it doesn't have a very long history of the modern type of settlement, so most folklore is from first nations. The Salish and Haida first nations have been around for eons and they have a rich tradition. I've discussed the creation myth story before and the Spirit of Haida Gwaii is a relevant story that would fit with the Olympic theme. But the Raven, Thunderbird, Orca, Salmon, and Spirit Bear are all important creatures in local first nation's folklore. But their art has a lot of wealth in it too...masks, carvings, the sun, totem poles, and fabrics.

As far as First Nations'/indigenous/aboriginal designs/culture used in an Olympic Ceremony-type, I think Melbourne '06 did a great job of that in that one portion (well, the whole show was quite exemplary really).

I am sure the Atkins' Vancouver team will have a few minds from that Melbourne CWG OC.

Edited by baron-pierreIV