Ideas For The Opening/closing Ceremony?

I suggest more props than projections. Living and human interpretations of the landscape, not just a slide show of pictures.

I'm of the mind that you don't need gigantic budgets to make lasting memories...as long as you have a good concept and creative ideas. Albertville was a highly creative and unique ceremony, but it certainly didn't have the money that Athens or Beijing spent.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suggest more props than projections. Living and human interpretations of the landscape, not just a slide show of pictures.

I'm of the mind that you don't need gigantic budgets to make lasting memories...as long as you have a good concept and creative ideas. Albertville was a highly creative and unique ceremony, but it certainly didn't have the money that Athens or Beijing spent.

Agreed, especially with the bolded....I'm sure you remember Imagine 2010, imo it was a puke fest.

I really hope they don't do the hole Bollywood all cultures individually thing because that really docent represent Canada. They should beam images of parts of Canada on the roof and show what we have naturally. I think for the cauldron they should set BC place to make it a giant range oven, That would be pretty cool.

I really hope they don't do the hole Bollywood all cultures individually thing because that really docent represent Canada. They should beam images of parts of Canada on the roof and show what we have naturally. I think for the cauldron they should set BC place to make it a giant range oven, That would be pretty cool.

The whole multicultural aspect should be done like Calgary did in 1988. Perhaps have a representative (or couple), of each nation competing that is a Vancouver resident, join in a small multicultural segment of the Opening Ceremony. Yes, there's no need for big Bollywood or Chinese Operatic or stuff like that numbers, but a small segment which the multiculturalism of Canada is represented, would suffice.

Perhaps such representatives of each nation could be the ones carrying the nation's sign when marching with that nation in the stadium (In uniform of course)?

It's a shame, they should have truly researched the roof problem during the bid. They could have easily (provided they had the money of course), had replaced the old roof with a semi-temporary transparent roof, perhaps made of Plexiglas or something similar. Then using innovative modern technology, cause the transparent roof to become "opaque", by utilizing a sophisticated electronics system to mask the inside of the roof a nice dull gray (think of Melbourne's Eureka Skydeck's Edge for an example).

This way they can project imagery on the roof with the lights dimmed, then when the appropriate moment comes, the roof would loose the gray electronic mask and show the stars at night and the outside of the stadium. The lighter could light the "cauldron" inside the stadium, which is "connected" with a cauldron outside, that when ignited will be able to be seen by those inside the stadium.

There's the potential, should the technology be advanced enough, to have simulated "fireworks" on the roof, but of course, this would be at the cheap expense of those outside the stadium watching on screen.

Just a thought, but of course a little too late. :P

It's a shame, they should have truly researched the roof problem during the bid. They could have easily (provided they had the money of course), had replaced the old roof with a semi-temporary transparent roof, perhaps made of Plexiglas or something similar. Then using innovative modern technology, cause the transparent roof to become "opaque", by utilizing a sophisticated electronics system to mask the inside of the roof a nice dull gray (think of Melbourne's Eureka Skydeck's Edge for an example).

This way they can project imagery on the roof with the lights dimmed, then when the appropriate moment comes, the roof would loose the gray electronic mask and show the stars at night and the outside of the stadium. The lighter could light the "cauldron" inside the stadium, which is "connected" with a cauldron outside, that when ignited will be able to be seen by those inside the stadium.

There's the potential, should the technology be advanced enough, to have simulated "fireworks" on the roof, but of course, this would be at the cheap expense of those outside the stadium watching on screen.

Just a thought, but of course a little too late. :P

^ or better yet, have this done by 2010 rather than 2011:

roofinterior.jpg

84899419hy9.jpg

Really though, it took a human induced accidental roof deflation for them to realize that more had to be done with the stadium. But that was early 2006. By then, it was too late considering all the government red tape to get government projects into the construction phase. Had the accident had happened in 2004, BC Place would be looking like this this year:

1865432ty8.jpg

View from Olympic Village

1654213uv6.jpg

bcplacenightlightdn5.jpg

2801651074_ed15494a00.jpg

They had completely ignored the importance of BC Place as the Olympic Stadium. Had the roof deflation not occured, there would have been $3-million in minor cosmetic renovations rather than $125-million in interior and exterior renovations (with a $250-million roof to follow in 2011).

There's always a protocol part where tribute is paid to the Olympic rings. Maybe that's where you get your multicultural moment? A metaphor of all the world coming together in Canada to share the Olympic ideals of peace, harmony, and sport.

What I always thought would be cool idea is some sort of mass masked dance where everyone is dressed the same, but at the end everyone pulls off their masks and we see an array of faces from every race, colour, and creed.

There's always a protocol part where tribute is paid to the Olympic rings. Maybe that's where you get your multicultural moment? A metaphor of all the world coming together in Canada to share the Olympic ideals of peace, harmony, and sport.

What I always thought would be cool idea is some sort of mass masked dance where everyone is dressed the same, but at the end everyone pulls off their masks and we see an array of faces from every race, colour, and creed.

vforvendetta_masks.jpg

It is a shame that they didn't have the foresight to correct the stadium in time for its biggest show ever. It would be a much more attractive offer than what is currently there. But...we have to live with it and just enjoy the moment for what it is.

It is a shame that they didn't have the foresight to correct the stadium in time for its biggest show ever. It would be a much more attractive offer than what is currently there. But...we have to live with it and just enjoy the moment for what it is.

But you have to wonder, what the hell were they thinking? It was quite obvious way back even in the early days of the Olympic bid that the stadium would need a major fix.

But remember the Olympic bid had opposition and there were others that would only support it if it didn't require massive cost overruns and expenditures. Floating the idea of a new stadium for ceremonies would have been viewed as excessive and cost them support. Also, remember that the Bid Corp and VANOC do not own BC Place. Their partners in government do, but government isn't going to risk too much that would cost them an election. So it doesn't boil down to bad planning. I blame it on politics and the delicate balance needed to strike the Vancouver bid.

I also think that the Bid Corp undercut the costs of certain things...security, ceremonies and the stadium...to make the bid more favorable to the public.

Edited by Kendegra

But remember the Olympic bid had opposition and there were others that would only support it if it didn't require massive cost overruns and expenditures. Floating the idea of a new stadium for ceremonies would have been viewed as excessive and cost them support. Also, remember that the Bid Corp and VANOC do not own BC Place. Their partners in government do, but government isn't going to risk too much that would cost them an election. So it doesn't boil down to bad planning. I blame it on politics and the delicate balance needed to strike the Vancouver bid.

I also think that the Bid Corp undercut the costs of certain things...security, ceremonies and the stadium...to make the bid more favorable to the public.

The bid corp did undercut a lot of costs and it was quite obvious even back then....$175-million for security; $24-million for opening/closing AND nightly medal ceremonies.

If only the roof deflation had happened in 2004/2005....or if Campbell went swinging in with plans for stadium renovations right after his re-election in 2005....or VANOC should've done something and realized more work was needed c2005. All we would have needed is one extra year to make everything happen, just one extra year.

I think completely possible. But they marketed these ceremonies as "indoor" and there is the risk of Vancouver's infamous winter rains. Although, this year we've seen more sun than usual (and a bit of snow as evidenced last night). We'll just have to see what they have planned, but BC Place's website has a video with a short clip of what the stadium looked like before the roof was added.