Ideas For The Opening/closing Ceremony?

Lord David

Alright, so you have possibly no input whatsoever on how the opening/closing ceremonies are gonna be like, but what would you like to see in the ceremonies?

I'd like to see each Province/Territory represented by a musician or band. Just imagine the likes of say Andre-Philippe Gagnon representing Quebec doing his one man show of "We are the World". :P:)

What's your wishes?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've shared some of my ideas and hopes before. I don't think the individual provinces should be specifically represented, but perhaps in allegory. I want to see the story of Vancouver, of BC, and of Canada and the things that tie us together. Symbols such as the exploration, the natural landscape, the railroad, the maple leaf, multiculturalism, hockey, art from the Group of 7 and Emily Carr, first nations stories, and old and new national treasures.

Some inspirations...

Leonard Cohen recites "Anthem".

"The winters of my childhood were long, long seasons. We lived in three places - the school, the church and the skating rink - but our life was on the skating rink."

Edited by Kendegra

I think the show should be like Sydney's, an evolution of Canada. I hope that the start is a greeting and welcome from the first nations, that is the best use of the culture. And than just go from there.

A couple things I don't want to see: the military involved in any way, I support the military but the Opening Ceremonies is not the place. Any of the cliches they used during the hand-over.

I think it will be an ice show primarily.

The featuring every province thing is NOT going to work. What does Prince Edward Island or the Newfouies have to do with the Winter Games in Vancouver? It becomes an all-over-the-place thing. Diminishes the focus on BC and Vancouver.

I would like to see the RCMP opening up a giant scroll.

There could be elements of each province, but to give each province 5 minutes of spotlight time would be a little lame. "PEI presents the Dancing Annes of Green Gables. And now here come a flock of Manitoba mosquitoes." Flow and story telling is the most important part. Not just a tourist reel of shows from each province. I think following something like Sydney 2000 would be good.

Do you have a source on that? Or are they part of the Cultural Olympiad?

Probably with the Cultural Olympiad. No dance company gets subsumed into an Opening or Closing Ceremony and retains its identity. The one and only time this was done was at the Seoul handover in the 1984 Closing: the Dance Theatre of Harlem and whatever the Korean dance company was.

I think it'll most likely be like Sydney, with all the emphasis on "Canada's Games" and "telling Canada's story" I think it's a dead giveaway.....and I would be quite happy with the Sydney concept.

Actually, I think it will be closer to Doha's. I think they will create something magical -- not nearly as lavish as Sydney's.

Probably true. Sydney's was an expansive and sweeping ceremony. But the concept of telling the nation's story and not just the regional one is what I think most mean by the comparison. Done in the more simple and elegant Doha style. I'd be happy.

This is really Canada's first opportunity to do that. Montreal was one of the last of the simple protocol-directed ceremonies and Calgary was an Alberta hoe-down. Don't get me wrong...Calgary was a fun ceremony. But that kind of ceremony could only happen in Alberta, in the 1980s, under the day time sun. Vancouver is different, the ceremony is indoors, and the expectations are for a more elegant and modern story.

My fear is a cheese fest that is half arsed at best and filled with an abundance of tacky celebrity appearances.

Probably true. Sydney's was an expansive and sweeping ceremony. But the concept of telling the nation's story and not just the regional one is what I think most mean by the comparison. Done in the more simple and elegant Doha style. I'd be happy.

This is really Canada's first opportunity to do that. Montreal was one of the last of the simple protocol-directed ceremonies and Calgary was an Alberta hoe-down. Don't get me wrong...Calgary was a fun ceremony. But that kind of ceremony could only happen in Alberta, in the 1980s, under the day time sun. Vancouver is different, the ceremony is indoors, and the expectations are for a more elegant and modern story.

My fear is a cheese fest that is half arsed at best and filled with an abundance of tacky celebrity appearances.

well, what's the buzz in Vancouver? Do we already have a mole in VANOC? If not, why not? You Vancouverites are a little slow in this regard.

Shiamak is presently involved in one of the most prestigious projects of recent times, Aditya Chopra's Shah Rukh Khan, Anushka Sharma and Vinay Pathak starrer, RAB NE BANA DI JODI (RNBDJ). However, he has just not restricted himself to Bollywood and is also busy with other non Bollywood projects, including a hot dance routine for the upcoming 2010 Winter Olympics

They are being very tight lipped about it all.

I don't think the Bollywood or Chinese dance troops will be at the Opening Ceremony. I really don't think Canadians would be pleased if they presented a United Nations of cultures at "Canada's Games" and went too heavy on immigrant cultures. It should be more about the culture they want to build in Canada.

One of the dance group was on a local tv show called "The express" and she accidently mentioned that they will be performing at the olympic ceremony.

Do I have to remind you that immigrants help build Canada. To say that Canadian will not be please to see multiculture as part of ceremony is down right insulting.

quote name='Kendegra' date='Feb 23 2009, 07:04 PM' post='198501']

I don't think the Bollywood or Chinese dance troops will be at the Opening Ceremony. I really don't think Canadians would be pleased if they presented a United Nations of cultures at "Canada's Games" and went too heavy on immigrant cultures. It should be more about the culture they want to build in Canada.

Are these more Canada's games or Vancouver's games? I think Chinese, Indian and Pakistani influence is really noticeable in Vancouver. When I visited Vancouver, the Asian influence was very obvious, especially South Asian. I think it would be really neat to see these cultures as part of the ceremony. However, it might get out of hand... which cultures should be included and which will be left out?

There could, however, be a sequence about these cultures coming to Canada and showing that transformation?

Are these more Canada's games or Vancouver's games? I think Chinese, Indian and Pakistani influence is really noticeable in Vancouver. When I visited Vancouver, the Asian influence was very obvious, especially South Asian. I think it would be really neat to see these cultures as part of the ceremony. However, it might get out of hand... which cultures should be included and which will be left out?

There could, however, be a sequence about these cultures coming to Canada and showing that transformation?

These are Canada's games, in which multiculturalism should be portrayed.....but to have independent Chinese or Bollywood performers in the ceremonies would be portraying multi-ethnicism and that's not something we would want to go.

I have serious doubts that is true, except if they are planning on a segment where they're gonna have a bunch of cultures perform all at once....akin to United Nations. That would be quite neat, and would portray multiculturalism.

I've shared some of my ideas and hopes before. I don't think the individual provinces should be specifically represented, but perhaps in allegory. I want to see the story of Vancouver, of BC, and of Canada and the things that tie us together. Symbols such as the exploration, the natural landscape, the railroad, the maple leaf, multiculturalism, hockey, art from the Group of 7 and Emily Carr, first nations stories, and old and new national treasures.

Some inspirations...

Leonard Cohen recites "Anthem".

"The winters of my childhood were long, long seasons. We lived in three places - the school, the church and the skating rink - but our life was on the skating rink."

I just thought it would be nice that although there would be no specific segements recognizing the other Provinces/Territories, it would be nice to simply have a musician or band from the Provinces/Territories representing them.

These ideas are interesting!