Water Fountain Show In Front Of False Creek Instead Of Fireworks Or Combination Of Both

That is a cool idea.

I expect that inside the stadium, there will be a lot of creative lighting.

I saw this show in Quebec City this summer and it was spectacular.

Quebec 400 Image Mill

At the 8:20 mark, there is an idea for how the fireworks inside the dome could work. : )

Edited by Kendegra

My god! I've solved the "big problem"! That's how they can do it!

The Olympic flame can burn on a tower outside the stadium, but it will appear as a giant projection inside the stadium. It can be a larger than life projection of what is going on outside. It will be more virtual but the people inside the dome will feel engulfed by the flame and it won't "pop" the roof as some so passionately fear.

Here is an example of a water fountain show. It looks like fireworks. They should consider it for the opening ceremony. False creek would be perfect for it. Plus it won't pollute the air.

Or a combination of fireworks and water fountain show. The sea to sky olympic.

That's also how they kinda did it at the Seville '92 Expo; and at the recent Atlantis Resort Opening in Dubai.

I can smell the cynicism dwelling from the water rights lobby, especially in light of the contamination scares and suggested future shortages of reservoir supply. Far fetched thing to protest yes, but in this city anything is open for a civil liberties existential style debate! :)

My god! I've solved the "big problem"! That's how they can do it!

The Olympic flame can burn on a tower outside the stadium, but it will appear as a giant projection inside the stadium. It can be a larger than life projection of what is going on outside. It will be more virtual but the people inside the dome will feel engulfed by the flame and it won't "pop" the roof as some so passionately fear.

That is actually a good idea but also they is a way to burn the flame inside without problems.

The Flame could indeed have a large range hood type deal with the medal having a recirculating pump pouring water over the outside of the hood. Exhaust could be vented and a misting curtain of water could surround the Flame . It has been done before in regards to the univerisal studios ride for the movie Backdraft. People are in a Hall much smaller then BC Place with Fireballs and a Curtain of Fire not far away from them. They are protected by a high tech HVAC system and a mist curtain of water between them and the open flames.

Also holography could be done on cylinder of water with a video feed in real time of the Flame outside. The Olympic Flame burning inside a building is not a hard problem to solve as the solutions are there and the money is as well.

The video footage of quebec is very cool I take it the surface is the Grain Terminal on the waterfront .

Jim jones

http://www.aquatic-show.com/site/Home-26.html

I hope Vanoc get a chance to visit this website and hire them to do fountain show for the Olympic. In the website they have videos of their work under the products tab and you can see amazing things they can do with water.

Water fountain shows are sooooooooooooooo 20th century. They first started using them in Vegas and touring ice shows in the 60s.

Then, they had them as Lionel Ritchie's back-up performers at the Closing of 1984.

Then, as I said, they did this laser/mist thing in Seville 1992 -- but not in Barcelona.

Then of course, in 1998, there was the muddah of all dancing fountain shows -- the outdoor fountains in front of the Bellagio in Vegas, again.

I still like the idea considering that vancouver is close to the water. Plus no other olympic game has done this before. The technology that is use for the water show is far more sophisticated today comparing to 20 years ago.

Water fountain shows are sooooooooooooooo 20th century. They first started using them in Vegas and touring ice shows in the 60s.

Then, they had them as Lionel Ritchie's back-up performers at the Closing of 1984.

Then, as I said, they did this laser/mist thing in Seville 1992 -- but not in Barcelona.

Then of course, in 1998, there was the muddah of all dancing fountain shows -- the outdoor fountains in front of the Bellagio in Vegas, again.

Personally, I'd love to see fireworks shoot off of downtown skyscrapers like what Melbourne had for the 2006 Commonwealth Games opening:

I think urban/skyscraper based fireworks are going to be out of fashion for a while:

Beijing CCTV / Mandarin Hotel After a Firework Misfired:

cctv-fire12.jpg

CHItown '16

I think urban/skyscraper based fireworks are going to be out of fashion for a while:

Beijing CCTV / Mandarin Hotel After a Firework Misfired:

cctv-fire12.jpg

CHItown '16

Well, there's always a risk.

But with the Beijing hotel incident, fire inspectors did not approve the fireworks display CCTV had planned as it was too massive and too close to buildings. But CCTV went ahead with the display anyway, without the knowledge of fire inspectors. Apparently, what caused the fire was one of those massive fireworks that hit the building - like this one:

fireworks-jj-001.jpg

With the Melbourne type of fireworks, what you have is merely sparks....not the big boom types.

The video footage of quebec is very cool I take it the surface is the Grain Terminal on the waterfront .

Jim jones

Yes, that is where the light show was. Turned an eyesore structure into something spectacular. I'm glad I got to see it... twice!