Do Nhl Games Continue Through Olympics?

Does the NHL take a 3 week break during the Olympics or do games continue as scheduled with the Canucks on an extended Road trip:

http://www.news1130.com/news/sports/more.j...ontent=s021941A

The NHL takes a break usually it's just for the reason that NHL players compete in the Olympics but also this time (and I guess it's the first time) an NHL arena is being used for the games.

I guess the Canucks' schedule will be filled with road games before and after the Olympics, to accomodate the conversion of GM Place to Canada Hockey Place and then back to GM Place after the Olympics.

The NHL takes a break usually it's just for the reason that NHL players compete in the Olympics but also this time (and I guess it's the first time) an NHL arena is being used for the games.

I guess the Canucks' schedule will be filled with road games before and after the Olympics, to accomodate the conversion of GM Place to Canada Hockey Place and then back to GM Place after the Olympics.

Calgary 1988 - Saddledome, home of the NHL Calgary Flames, used for skating during the NHL season.

CHItown '16

The NHL always has a 2 week Olympic break during the winter games. In other years, they have an all-star break, obviously which is less time.

However, the NHL has indicated the possibilty of no break during the 2014 games in Sochi, but it is likely just talk.

Calgary 1988 - Saddledome, home of the NHL Calgary Flames, used for skating during the NHL season.

CHItown '16

Right you are. I forgot about the Saddledome. I guess I had it in my head that GM Place is the largest arena, so far, used for the Olympics.

They always harp about going straight through the games, but it's just pointless babble by NHL hardliners. So many of the players benefit from being on national teams and the NHL is one of the few pro sports leagues in the world (probably only itself and soccer) where national team participation holds competitively lucrative benefits and the field of pro players is thickly multinational. If there ever were to be NHL games during the regular Olympic break heads would definitely roll.

Actually there is not much of a conversion this time for GM Place to host the Canucks after the games. The Calgary Saddledome was built to have the International Ice Hockey Surface while GM place was to get a 30 million dollar conversion for be able to switch from the Smaller NHL Surface to the Larger International surface for the Olympics. The Stephen Harper Conservative government did not bow to the demand for 55 million right away as part of the cost overruns for Olympic construction. Cost overruns in Vanoc's budget that included 30 million for the GM place Ice Surface conversion to have the international size.

Vanoc along with Minister for the Olympics at the Time David Emerson were forced to ask for a dispensation of the IIHF surface requirements and they were granted it. The case was successfully made that all the Olympic tournament's players make their livings in NHL sized Rinks and all have probably played in GM Place at points of their career if not many times depending on which NHL division they play in.

GM place would have a different games overlay look but the Ice surface could be painted back to the Vancouver Canucks scheme in a very short time. Contray to what would be thought ice in an Arena is not white when the water is frozen as you can see the concrete underneath. Ice is painted white first and then the lines , faceoff circles and logos are painted on with templates . Basically the Canucks could step onto the ice the next day and it would be the same surface but with the olympic logos. You might be looking at an over night job to remark the ice for the Canucks and certainly not more then a day or two at the most or within the Olympic Break for the NHL.

It is not like Calgary where they would have to move the boards in and retract the seating forward. The remounting of the Boards would be the most time consuming . Most Arenas with both Basketball and Ice Hockey only take down the Glass for basketball games in regards to what is done for that conversion with the boards in mid winter.

As to Sochi 2014 it is very much in doubt whether the NHL is going to allow players to play in the Olympic tournament in 2014. This is probably why the dispensation was Granted for GM place with regards to the Olympics by the IIHF. The IIHF does not demand a great deal from Canada in regards to hosting their events. The World Senior Men Tournament was held in Quebec City and Halifax on NHL sized surfaces. many of the Junior tournaments are held on NHL sized rinks when they come to Canada. Canada is the largest tv rights payer for the IIHF and certainly the most prosperous place for Tournament gate for the IIHF.

Without the NHL the Winter Olympics tournament will be a junior team event much like Olympic soccer would probably be U17 fifa. With the NHL out it would actually be much worse because Fifa and the Olympics you have all U23 players able to compete and three players over 23 years of age . The NHL / Olympic teams are the best not matter the age so you have every possible NHL superstar.

jim jones